The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If you have a Waterstone's near you then go take a look in the Anatomy books and Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology books for free, I Would Not Buy anything until you know which books suit your style of learning and which ones the Med School suggest to read. It could be a very expensive mistake, you might not use them.

Good Luck
Reply 2
Don't do it.

Do nothing.

This is your last summer of total freedom.

Enjoy it...
I havn't done alevel bio. Do you reckon I should read up on Alevel bio?
I don't really want to unless it would really help.
Reply 4
Of course you don't need to, you're leet! :thrasher:
Dont do anything as fluffy says, there is no need but perhaps review your a level notes on action potentials, muscles erm amino acids and immunity if you did those things. they are helpful. But dont buy any books, there are so many you will get told which ones to get when you get here, plus if your library is like ours you wont need to buy them, as we can rent them for 8 consecutive weeks
Reply 6

Yes, probably just familiarise yourself with basic cell structure and function of organelles.

Good books for reading in the summer before uni have to meet certain criteria....

-Paperback
-Nominated for several awards
-Enticing read
-Goes well with a glass of Pimm's
-Nothing to do with science at ALL (you'll only end up either confusing yourself, or reading the first chapter and finding that actually, that first chapter is covered between breakfast and lunchon the first day)
Reply 7
If you really feel that need to read something then I would recomend a book called complications by atul gwande, it isn't a text book but it was recomended to us on our pre medschool reading list and is an amazing book at about surgery and the experiances of atul gwande while training really well written and not boring for a second :biggrin:. Read that and enjoy your time before medical school!
Reply 8

That would be a great help to you. A lot of medicine is taught on the assumption that every one has AS/A2 biology or have brought themself up to speed.

It will save you a lot of stress at med school, as otherwise you'll have to teach yourself the basics as you go along...
That Atul Gawande book is great, my parents got it for me for xmas years ago. It's not remotely compicated and some if it's quite funny. I saw him "When Surgical Instruments Get Left Behind" (real name btw) on discovery health the other week. Apparently his team at harvard have collected a load of data and done a lot of research on it. There's a piece of useless information.
Reply 10
Fluffy
That would be a great help to you. A lot of medicine is taught on the assumption that every one has AS/A2 biology or have brought themself up to speed.

It will save you a lot of stress at med school, as otherwise you'll have to teach yourself the basics as you go along...

I can see the logic in doing this ^ for someone who hasn't done A-level Bio. Perhaps old textbooks can be *borrowed* from school???

Latest

Trending

Trending