The Student Room Group

Rape:'Why didn't you take a taxi?'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Emor
Safety's bull**** lol. People complain to me about going out running at 4 AM at night in the city because it's apparently not 'safe'. What's not safe is the guy walking around with a dagger.

If someone stabs me I have no liability.

I don't understand why you can't understand that it's the perpetrator who's responsible. Of course the 'victim' could have avoided being the 'victim', assuming they knew a psycho was with-in a mile radius of where they were going, but that doesn't change the fact that the person who stabbed them was the person who stabbed them.

It's like when I see a group of guys, I don't know why I'm the one expected to keep my distance from them, what society should expect in this situation is for them not to beat the **** out of me, and any rational, not brainwashed by the media person would expect them not to.

Seriously I don't think people even want to acknowledge the extent of victim-blaming that goes on.

EMZ.

:facepalm:

So by your logic, it is futile to take precautions.
Well, tell that to everyone who has either avoided rape or attacks due to these precautions :rolleyes:
Wake up and take responsibility for you actions, or more accurately, inactions.

Both people are at fault when the victim is able to avoid the crime.
No one would have sympathy for the idiot who walked around a poor town with his wallet and phone out in their palms.
Why is it different with this? Oh, because it is a crime where women like to rally around the " OMG men did it!" flag and deny any responsibility for their own safety and pretend that every person is a good person as they are lazy. Well guess what? These are sadly the consequences for denial.

Original post by WelshBluebird
Apart from the fact that women can still be raped by taxi drivers.

True, but work out how many rapes are done by taxi drivers compared to on the street and so on. It would not be 100% safe, but safer that what she chose to do.

Original post by ironandwine
Should we also wear a suit of armour in case an axe murderer appears out of nowhere too?

No, because how often does that happen?
Now how often does rape happen?
Stop being lazy or living in a world full of gum-drop rainbows and chocolate rivers and realise that it is best to be safe then sorry.

Original post by Jelephant
So it's a brilliant idea for her to get in a car with a strange man instead. Because obviously there has never, ever been a case where a taxi driver has taken advantage of the girl locked in the back of the vehicle.

Infact, why didn't she just barricade herself in her house all day instead of going out into the dangerous world, silly girl. Rape can happen in the middle of the day in busy areas as well after all. It's her own fault for ever leaving the house at all.

On second thoughts, many rapes are committed by fathers, brothers and boyfriends. Ergo, she should've locked herself away in a tiny room by herself somewhere, stupid, otherwise she'll get raped and it'll be her own fault for not being careful enough.

It is a better idea then walking alone isn't it.
And god forbid that she walks home with a friend. Jeez, that just makes far too much sense nowadays for todays self entitled kids.

Now don't be ignorant and confuse paranoia with trying to be safe. Everyone knows the difference so stop being so melodramatic and be realistic.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Philbert
It's not safe for women to be walking around alone at night; shouldn't we be tackling that issue rather than berating women for not taking taxis?

How can you begin to tackle these problems when a large part of society puts down strong male role models and plays up how women are free and liberated so they can do as they please?

Men in todays society are played down as protectors but played up as wannabe rapists the second they go out at night.

When I am walking home from a night out or from Judo/weightlifting/work in Sheffield the number of women I see who I could easily attack is shocking. I sense their unease at being alone and then come to terms with me being behind them and walking at a considerable pace wearing dark clothing.

I am 6'3", between 14.5/15 stone and strange to these women but they're never with company.

Too many women play down dangers to themselves and I am not exaggerating this. I've mentioned it to young women before about how easy it is to take them but they laugh at me for being worried about their welfare.

Being naive to the extreme breeds ignorance and in-turn will bring about more harm than good.
Reply 82
Original post by Lil Piranha
It's a sad fact of our society that you have to think ahead all the time to ensure your safety. It shouldn't be - you should be able to dance down backalleys naked, drunk at 3 in the morning if you wanted to without anyone trying to cause you harm, but unfortunately there are always those who will take advantage, so you should always watch your drinks, stay within your limit and never ever wander off on your own.

Maybe you should lobby to have the government put that in a British bill of rights.
Original post by WelshBluebird
Apart from the fact that women can still be raped by taxi drivers.

Yeah, but as I said, you could phone someone that is where you're going to let them know you are in the taxi, or phone someone else and pretend the same thing, that way someone knows where you are, and that should scare the taxi driver off.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jimbo1234
:facepalm:

So by your logic, it is futile to take precautions.
Well, tell that to everyone who has either avoided rape or attacks due to these precautions :rolleyes:
Wake up and take responsibility for you actions, or more accurately, inactions.

Both people are at fault when the victim is able to avoid the crime. No one would have sympathy for the idiot who walked around a poor town with his wallet and phone out in their palms.
Why is it different with this? Oh, because it is a crime where women like to rally around the " OMG men did it!" flag and deny any responsibility for their own safety and pretend that every person is a good person as they are lazy. Well guess what? These are sadly the consequences for denial.

True, but work out how many rapes are done by taxi drivers compared to on the street and so on. It would not be 100% safe, but safer that what she chose to do.

So by that logic most people who are victims of crime are at fault.

If we have to believe that you can reasonably foresee rape, then perhaps we should also go out with the view that we might be murdered, shot, held at knife point, stabbed, mugged etc.

And if we don't take precautions for all of that, are we to blame when they happen? If you get shot in a drive by shooting because you have the front window open, is that your fault for not taking precautions against that happening?
Reply 85
Original post by kirsty1988
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that by owning vaginas women were leaving them wide open for men to shove their penises into, my mistake.

Yet another straw man argument. By walking home late at night in a big city, while drunk etc. etc., people tempt fate, and women in particular.
Original post by Planar
Yet another straw man argument. By walking home late at night in a big city, while drunk etc. etc., people tempt fate, and women in particular.

By walking outside, women are tempting fate. It is a retarded argument.
Reply 87
Sadly fact is women are at risk of being raped, especially after a night out .... so minimise the risk? It may seem harsh but it's a fact of life, albeit it not very nice one
Reply 88
I think no matter what the circumstance of rape, a woman is still raped - that is wrong and it's not her fault. However, that doesn't mean to say women should dance around naked at 3am - our society is not going to change over night, and really walking home alone at night in a dangeous area (this applies to anyone) is still Dangerous.
Of course women shouldn't be made to feel it's their fault, but taking unecessary risks doesn't help - yes, it's the principle that people should feel safe in their environment, but let's face it that's not going to happen, or if it does it's not going to happen soon.
Original post by kerily
Oh thank Lord, someone talking sense. Why are we telling women not to get raped instead of telling men not to rape?

It's not like getting a taxi is even something everyone can do. You can't always afford a taxi (especially if you're in London!), you can't always flag one down, you might not have a working phone on you (lack of credit, lack of battery) and you might have a phone but no idea of local taxi numbers. Does this mean you deserve to be raped? Obviously not.

The point here should be 'if you see a woman walking alone at night, don't rape her' as opposed to 'if you're a woman, or have any chance of being perceived as one, don't walk around alone at night'.

Yes, because those were Eamon's words exactly: 'You deserved to be raped'. Yep, that's exactly what he said, THE SWINE!
Original post by Kiss
I think no matter what the circumstance of rape, a woman is still raped - that is wrong and it's not her fault. However, that doesn't mean to say women should dance around naked at 3am - our society is not going to change over night, and really walking home alone at night in a dangeous area (this applies to anyone) is still Dangerous.
Of course women shouldn't be made to feel it's their fault, but taking unecessary risks doesn't help - yes, it's the principle that people should feel safe in their environment, but let's face it that's not going to happen, or if it does it's not going to happen soon.

Given you agree with me entirely I fail to see why you negged me.
Reply 91
Original post by daisydaffodil
So by that logic most people who are victims of crime are at fault.

If we have to believe that you can reasonably foresee rape, then perhaps we should also go out with the view that we might be murdered, shot, held at knife point, stabbed, mugged etc.

And if we don't take precautions for all of that, are we to blame when they happen? If you get shot in a drive by shooting because you have the front window open, is that your fault for not taking precautions against that happening?

Note that I said "able to avoid the crime".

And stop being so black and white about crime. It worries me how you have almost an infantile attitude towards this. It is not just completely one persons fault, but far more complex then that :rolleyes: Did the person aggravate the crime? Was it just bad luck? Could they have avoided it all together?

In this case, yes - it could have been avoided by following the age old rule of never walking home alone. I know you want to think that everyone is a saint at heart, but that is not the world we live in.
Nobody is victim blaming. Of course if a woman is raped it's not her fault but you're less likely to be a victim if you take all the precautions neccessary.

Of course in an ideal world I should be able to leave my front door open and not expect to be robbed. But we have to remember that they are always going to be sick evil individuals that exist within our society and it's unlikely that telling them not to "steal, rape or kill is going to work.

Yes it's a sick society but that's the world we live in :frown:
No, because how often does that happen?
Now how often does rape happen?
Stop being lazy or living in a world full of gum-drop rainbows and chocolate rivers and realise that it is best to be safe then sorry.

Please see:

ironandwine
Telling girls to always take taxis at night is ridiculous too. You can just as easily get raped in broad daylight as you can at night, as you can in your own house or in the woods.

Taxi drivers can be rapists, the man or woman you consider a best friend can be a rapist... there isn't any certain criteria you have to possess to be a rapist.

I walk home for forty minutes in pitch black after working evening shifts at a bar, I've never been raped. My best friend walked for five minutes in daylight walking her dog before she got attacked and raped. What does that tell you?
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
Yeah, but as I said, you could phone someone that is where you're going to let them know you are in the taxi, or phone someone else and pretend the same thing, that way someone knows where you are, and that should scare the taxi driver off.

Well, if the taxi driver has a brain, then they would realise that making a phone call to tell someone you are in a random taxi isn't going to make a difference. If he was going to rape you, he would probably be in a unregistered taxi that has no way of being tracked unless it is visually picked up.
Original post by ironandwine
Please see:

To be a taxi driver, you need to be CRB certified, attain a badge from the council and have background checks done on you.

You are far less likely to be raped by a certified cab driver than otherwise.
Reply 96

In this case, yes - it could have been avoided by following the age old rule of never walking home alone. I know you want to think that everyone is a saint at heart, but that is not the world we live in.

It could have been avoided by just staying at home. Would you recommend that women just don't go out at all? Afterall it is safer.
It is a better idea then walking alone isn't it.
And god forbid that she walks home with a friend. Jeez, that just makes far too much sense nowadays for todays self entitled kids.

Now don't be ignorant and confuse paranoia with trying to be safe. Everyone knows the difference so stop being so melodramatic and be realistic.

If you'd bothered to read the article you yourself are quoting, she was with a friend until she was practically outside her house. It was only on the final street of her journey she was attacked. You're the one bringing paranoia into this. 'She should've taken a taxi a few meters down the road' is your argument and you don't think that could be somewhat paranoid or melodramatic :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by Lil Piranha
Given you agree with me entirely I fail to see why you negged me.

"You should be able to dance down backalleys naked, drunk at 3 in the morning if you wanted to without anyone trying to cause you harm"

Really?
Original post by Kiss
"You should be able to dance down backalleys naked, drunk at 3 in the morning if you wanted to without anyone trying to cause you harm"

Really?

It's an extreme example to demonstrate we should be able to go where we want, when we want, wearing what we want without having to be worried about being attacked. But unfortunately we don't live in such an ideal society. The same point you made in your post...

Quick Reply

Latest