The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Any one studying in Southampton ???

Hello, Im a 1st year in Manchester and Im really struggling to hack it here. Its wet, dark, industrial and at times where I live a little unsafe (sorry if I offend anyone).

Im really interested in moving my studies to Southampton - but whats it like ?
is it wet ? I know its a big port town but I hear its comparatively green and spacious, and surely its not as dangerous as Manchester ? Also - that far south the weather/light has to be better right ?

for health courses: Southampton V manchester = southampton ranks No 8 my uni is No 66 (as I understand)

Please - can anyone tell me if im missing anything ??!!!?
Reply 1
I wanted to go to a big city at uni, and Soton was my favourite, I was also choosing between Bristol, Manchester and Birmingham. I mean it's a big place, so you still get some bad areas as with every town/city, but overall, I think it's rather pleasant. It's essentially a student city, with a major port.

Crime is not a major issue when compared to some of the other big cities imo. Violence on this table for some reason is quite high though.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/preparing-to-go/staying-safe-and-secure/how-safe-is-your-city/
The city centre itself is quite modern and clean. There big green spaces around the city, and obviously Hampshire is a pretty green county.
I'd advise you to visit though, this is only my experience so far.

In domestic rankings, Soton has consistently performed overall above Manchester for quite a while now.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply bud ! Sounds like Im going to have to come visit ASAP...
Original post by maxants33
Hello, Im a 1st year in Manchester and Im really struggling to hack it here. Its wet, dark, industrial and at times where I live a little unsafe (sorry if I offend anyone).

is it wet ? I know its a big port town but I hear its comparatively green and spacious, and surely its not as dangerous as Manchester ? Also - that far south the weather/light has to be better right ?

for health courses: Southampton V manchester = southampton ranks No 8 my uni is No 66 (as I understand)

I dont, but I live here and its really nice, near enough to cool places like Bournemouth and London. Fairly easy to get around, good shops and nice countryside too.
Original post by maxants33

I'm studying here right now.

It's not wet at the moment - in fact, the weather has been pretty good recently, but that's obviously not guaranteed. Even though the South tends to be a degree or so warmer, it's not Spain! :tongue: I don't think the weather/dark is a particularly good reason to swap universities! It still gets dark at 6ish and obviously this will start getting later as the clocks go back tonight.

Manchester isn't exactly dangerous, and there have been a couple of rapes here recently. It really depends on where abouts you are (every city has good and bad parts) and how you act. You've got more chance of putting yourself in danger if you act like an idiot.

Yes, there is quite a bit of green and the docks are good for ship-spotting. I really like the city - good shopping in WestQuay; lots of nice places to eat (if you have the money); a good night life in Portswood (not far from the uni), etc.
Reply 5
Hey Rascacielos, thanks for the detailed reply, to further what you said, I have managed to find many websites declaring Southampton Chav capital of the south !
But I still find it hard to believe it could be worse than where I am now - check this link out :
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/health/s/1137686_salfords_life_expectancy_shame

The photo in that article was taken very close to campus. You see, although Im in Manchester - I am studying at Salford Uni. I spend very little time in the real manchester unless its to go clubbing. Salford is a crazy place at times - at this time of year the kids are out hurling fireworks at students/cars and you really have to pick your routes carefully after 6pm (like many places I imagine but very visible). Im doing a report at the mo on how health is affected by your surroundings and its amazing how green space correlates to good health (Salford is not very green, there are parks but you either want to stay well away from them or they are really far away).
I also have lived my whole life by the sea and this is one of the first sustained ventures inland I have made for some time and I sure do miss it - so what ever happens Im going to try move to a uni by the sea, Im also interested in Brighton but Southampton has the extra appeal due to its world class allied health school.
The Salford people are nice though.
Reply 6
I wouldn't ever say its the chav capital of the south from my experience so far. I used to live by a council estate at home, and then it wasn't bad anyway. In Soton there is a massive amount of students , around the halls area you tend to have no trouble at all, even if one of the main halls and the campus is near to a council estate. I barely ever see 'chavs' around and if I do they're not out to to bad to students, most of them are just kids. Plus the security around the campus is really good, there's guards all around the uni's campuses and halls day and night.
As I said this is only what I've experienced, so come down and visit.

Latest

Trending

Trending