The Student Room Group

What are the best A levels to choose for Law?

Hey, I'm new on TSR so sorry if this is in the wrong place or something!

Basically, I've just started 2 AS levels (Business and Music) in Year 11 and I have Year 12 and 13 to complete and pick up more A levels. I want to study Law at university to go on to become a barrister, or work in management.

At the moment my current ideas for my A levels are:
Applied Business Studies, Music, Government + Politics, Psychology, and then English Literature standing alone as an AS.

I've chosen Business and Music (I am now already taking them Y11) because I am good at these subjects and enjoy them, and I feel I will enjoy Psychology and it could be useful in Law. Government and Politics could also be useful perhaps? I am only doing AS English Literature as I don't feel I'm very good at it [Only a high B at GCSE!] and that I wouldn't enjoy it so much, but it is a respected subject...

Anyway, please give your advice because I'm stuck! :smile:
Reply 1
If you're already doings Music and Business I'd avoid Psychology like the plague and pick two more traditional subjects like English Lit/History/a science.
Reply 2
English lit, History are very strong subjects for law, then maybe pick a science/maths and possibly a language, then you can pick a soft subject like music/Psychology.
^what above said + pick essay subjects like English Lit/history...You don't want to have Business, Psych and Music, because they are less traditional subjects :smile:
Reply 4
thanks guys! i'll have to stick with business and music still, but i'll go for english literature definitely then if my grades allow! i haven't done history GCSE so will picking it up at an A level be difficult, or will Government and Politics be okay as a more traditional subject instead? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by angelachase
thanks guys! i'll have to stick with business and music still, but i'll go for english literature definitely then if my grades allow! i haven't done history GCSE so will picking it up at an A level be difficult, or will Government and Politics be okay as a more traditional subject instead? :smile:

I'd stick to English Lit over Gov and Politics. Can't comment on whether you can handle History; ask someone in your school...mine didn't allow anyone to take it unless they had the GCSE. Whether that was for good reason or not I don't know.
At my school it's fine to do History even if you hadn't done it at GCSE, depending on the person of course - talk to the history department and the teachers that know you best to find out whether you'd be ok with it.

English Lit and History would be great for law, teaching you to be analytical, critical, and to structure and write a convincing argument. How are you at maths? Something like that might be quite good in showing logic, but maths is one of the main subjects I would say don't do if you don't enjoy.
Government and Politics isn't especially respected as a subject, but I'd think it would probably be quite useful.

Also, can I just say that music is definitely not a soft subject. Music tech is, but pure music is traditional, difficult and incorporates many different skills. It is not necessarily one which a law school would want you to have, but it is a good subject in its own right (check Trinity's list of accepted subjects to see!).

Will you be completing music and business in Year 12 or 13?
Reply 7
Ill be completing music and business in year 12 :smile:

If my school allows me to do English Lit with a B grade I'll try to make sure and do it, and I'll be asking if I can pick up History without the GCSE, if not I will most likely go through with Gov+Pol.
Unfortunately, although I got an A in maths, I really don't enjoy it at all, it was my least favourite subject, and so I certainly won't be doing maths as an A level!

Thank you for the comment on music also, it is quite a difficult subject and takes a lot of skill! Applied Business Studies has a lot of analytical and critical aspects and could help if I went into management, which is why I chose it, and I am good at it with an A*A* attainment at GCSE (double award)

thanks guys, the feedback is really appreciated :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks for your help, next year in year 12 I will be taking Music A2, Applied Business A2, History AS and English Literature AS. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest