The Student Room Group

Bob Dylan Sucks And Is Not All That Influential

Poll

Bob Dylan....

Bob Dylan Sucks And Is Not All That Influential.

There are dozens of musicians more influential upon other musicians, and more "hit making" than Dylan ever was, some of them even from his era. Some of them were hit makers in spite of Dylan's miniature influence upon popular music in the latter half of the 20th Century.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
Superfluous capitalisation sucks.
Reply 3
Ory
OP

Typical argument of a Dylan fan wannabe music connoisseur.
Original post by Ory
Bob Dylan Sucks And Is Not All That Influential.

There are dozens of musicians more influential upon other musicians, and more "hit making" than Dylan ever was, some of them even from his era.

Discuss.

So let me get this straight:

You show blatant bias against Bob Dylan because you either don't like his music or you don't like him as a person (there can be no other reason why), and then go on to compare him to other artists who have, according to you, have had more success than him.
You've also done all of that without backing up your statement with sources.

It's also important to note that just because someone has had more success than someone else, it doesn't automatically mean that the person who had less success "sucks". Which brings me back to the point about bias.

Your move.
Reply 5
Ory
OP
Original post by Drunk Punx
So let me get this straight:

You show blatant bias against Bob Dylan because you either don't like his music or you don't like him as a person (there can be no other reason why), and then go on to compare him to other artists who have, according to you, have had more success than him.
You've also done all of that without backing up your statement with sources.

It's also important to note that just because someone has had more success than someone else, it doesn't automatically mean that the person who had less success "sucks". Which brings me back to the point about bias.

Your move.

Re: Bob Dylan Sucks And Is Not All That Influential

Is the topic for discussion.

Why is this a topic for discussion? Because many people feel the need to tell the world that he was the most influential artist. Google it.

And start debating the topic, not attacking people who might disagree with you.
Reply 6
Influential in 'pop music', err, he's not a pop artist.
Original post by Ory
Re: Bob Dylan Sucks And Is Not All That Influential

Is the topic for discussion.

Why is this a topic for discussion? Because many people feel the need to tell the world that he was the most influential artist. Google it.

And start debating the topic, not attacking people who might disagree with you.

I am debating the topic. And who better to debate it with than the person who started it?

So, here we are. Let's discuss. You've made your point, I've countered... and you've still got no proof. Which means that I was right.

As stated previously; your move.
Although I disagree with the OP, are any of you actually going to provide an argument or just keep firing off insults that make you no better then him/her?
Reply 9
Ory
OP

I especially love how you nuanced your intricate argument with one of the most catchy and yet simplistic and utterly musically immature rock/pop songs of the last 50 years.

I don't know how many hits Dylan wrote or performed, but I could guess looking at the list of top 10 Dylan songs (written or performed by him) that he displayed less talent over his whole career (thus far) than Donald Fagen could in a single LP record.

Example.

That said, if you are a person with this level of cognitive ability, I sure hope you don't become a fan of the music that I would listen to. Keep going to those Dylan concerts and venues, stay right there...
Reply 10
well it's all subjective isn't it. It's not worth arguing about it really. Just as you get those people nowadays saying Muse are the best rock band of our generation. Well that's just an opinion, don't be so fanboy about your favourite musician, music is subjective remember?
(edited 12 years ago)
Didn't vote in the poll because I don't think any of them are true.

Even if you don't like Bob Dylan you can't say he wasn't influential.
Wrong and wrong.

http://www.nerve.com/scanner/2010/07/26/bob-dylan-created-rock-45-years-ago-today

Without Dylan at Newport, rock music as we know it would not exist today.
Stop trying to be contentious and go do something constructive.

Bob Dylan is amazing for some people, and not for others - you don't need to post something like that.
Reply 14
Original post by Ory
Typical argument of a Dylan fan wannabe music connoisseur.

What a brilliant reply. Well done :yy:
Maybe The Beatles were more influential, I really like Bob Dylan and I don't see how you can argue he isn't an incredibly skilled songwriter, skilled musician or has a great voice. I mean he is just epic.
Reply 16
Ory
OP
Original post by Pride
well it's all subjective isn't it. It's not worth arguing about really. Just as you get those people nowadays saying Muse are the best rock band of our generation. Well that's just an opinion, don't be so fanboy about your favourite musician, music is subjective remember?

Yes, good points but you could also try to quantify it, There are artists who say xyz was an influence, or where xyz was an influence because you can hear it, whatever they might say. Then you can talk about the general influence of Dylan, style, melody, arrangement, even visual and "performance" impact. There's gotta be some music students who can talk about that in quantitative and scientific terms and not just "DYLAN HAD SOUL MAN **** YOU !!!", and who can also talk about "soul" as well. You could say that Les Paul had a greater impact on the course of modern popular music (thats pop music - and includes rock and all of its other sub genres) than Dylan did, but let's compare Dylan to artists, not tech game changers per se.
Original post by HarveyCanis
Although I disagree with the OP, are any of you actually going to provide an argument or just keep firing off insults that make you no better then him/her?

I'd appreciate it if you had the balls to quote me when talking about me.

And I did provide an argument. So **** you :h:
Reply 18
Original post by Ory
Yes, good points but you could also try to quantify it, There are artists who say xyz was an influence, or where xyz was an influence because you can hear it, whatever they might say. Then you can talk about the general influence of Dylan, style, melody, arrangement, even visual and "performance" impact. There's gotta be some music students who can talk about that in quantitative and scientific terms and not just "DYLAN HAD SOUL MAN **** YOU !!!", and who can also talk about "soul" as well. You could say that Les Paul had a greater impact on the course of modern popular music (thats pop music - and includes rock and all of its other sub genres) than Dylan did, but let's compare Dylan to artists, not tech game changers per se.

but loads of people like One Direction, does that make them influential? No, because it's all subjective.
Reply 19
Original post by Ory
I especially love how you nuanced your intricate argument with one of the most catchy and yet simplistic and utterly musically immature rock/pop songs of the last 50 years.

I don't know how many hits Dylan wrote or performed, but I could guess looking at the list of top 10 Dylan songs (written or performed by him) that he displayed less talent over his whole career (thus far) than Donald Fagen could in a single LP record.

Example.

That said, if you are a person with this level of cognitive ability, I sure hope you don't become a fan of the music that I would listen to. Keep going to those Dylan concerts and venues, stay right there...

It's subjective, but he's a very good musician and is talented. He influenced many others and some good songs (Source for songs) (Source for artists inspired by him)

Quick Reply

Latest