The Student Room Group

Bob Dylan Sucks And Is Not All That Influential

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Ory
OP
Original post by rural_boy
Yeah Fagen said he was influenced by Dylan, which is exactly what your ridiculous thread has been arguing; that in fact Dylan is not all that influential, when you yourself agreed that he is influential.

Fagen was more influenced by a lot of other artists, guessing from their music probably all of the jazz greats, blues, motown, country, and others. How much influence did Dylan have? I am guessing not a particularly large amount.

And now, you are doing what you have derided others for doing, by turning this thread into a competition between two artists. Music is subjective mate so people like different things, you were arguing against Dylan being influential, but you've acknowledged that he is, so have a good night, try not to smash your computer, just relax and listen to some blood on the tracks. :wink:

A number of artists were named in the poll and the subsequent post I and others made.

Elvis, Guthrie, Nelson - just those three - make Dylan look a little lightweight. That can be quantified but you need to understand music theory, composition, production, arrangement, and then songwriting, popular music and it's marketing etc etc, not just claim to like someone because you happen to like simplistic music that's popular.
Reply 61
Original post by Ory
Stephen Fry? Wow, such a heavyweight on the topic.

Donald Fagen said he was influenced by Dylan? Wow. And a million other artists too. But Fagen did in one album (take your pick - Katy Lied, Pretzel Logic, Can't Buy a Thrill) what Dylan couldn't do in a career - any one of those albums, and it's wall to wall with music and songwriting far more nuanced, complex, timeless, clever and actually difficult to execute than the top collection of Dylan's speaking-singing.

For goodness sake; Fagen and Becker wrote a load of really great songs, no doubt about that. But just because Dylan's musical style is different doesn't necessarily mean that nobody should be allowed to like it. Fagen may have been influenced by him, but they have very different styles; different enough for there to be a real polarisation of opinion about them.

Your argument appears to be boiling down to "I like Steely Dan and don't like Bob Dylan and if you don't agree you're just a deluded fanboy Dylan-praising sheep". It's not an argument, it's a matter of personal musical taste.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 62
Ory
OP
Original post by Kiss
He's not my favourite artist, but he was very influential and has sold loads more albums than you ever did/have/ever will.

Another Dylan ballsucking argument typical of Dylan fanboys. This is gold! Keep it coming!
Reply 63
Original post by Ory
Bob Dylan Sucks And Is Not All That Influential.

There are dozens of musicians more influential upon other musicians, and more "hit making" than Dylan ever was, some of them even from his era. Some of them were hit makers in spite of Dylan's miniature influence upon popular music in the latter half of the 20th Century.

Discuss.

There's more to it than 'hit making'. To be popular all the time one would have to make concessions to somebody else's taste(s) and pander to the market- sell out basically. Listen to his lyrics and compare them to today's 'lyrics'. He's a poet :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by Ory
Another Dylan ballsucking argument typical of Dylan fanboys. This is gold! Keep it coming!

I'm not fanboy, hence why I said 'he's not my favourite'. But even I, someone who has only one of his albums on my ipod, can admit he's good. And really, when comes down to it, you bitching and moaning about how he sucks isn't going to change anything - great, you hate him; you're by all means entitled to your opinion. You just don't need to tell everyone. Or maybe you aren't familiar with the term ******* by now?
Reply 65
Ory
OP
Original post by Arialaxe
Your argument appears to be boiling down to "I like Steely Dan and don't like Bob Dylan and if you don't agree you're just a deluded fanboy Dylan-praising sheep". It's not an argument, it's a matter of personal musical taste.

No, my argument is "Dylan is overrated and not that influential - Discuss without being a Dylan Fanboy" and looking at the responses - its right.

My argument is "if Dylan was so influential as you fanboys say he is, then explain exactly how he was such a huge influence when you look at his contemporaries"

My argument is "if Dylan was in a pantheon of the most influential, then you probably need your head checked, and need to read more about Little Richard, Elvis, Guthrie, Nelson, Motown, Jazz, Blues, Leadbelly, and many others who were actually far more influential, so then how do we explain the internet Dylan fanboyism as a phenomenon and is it because Dylan is easy for the non musical to understand and comprehend?"
Reply 66
Original post by Ory
..make Dylan look a little lightweight. That can be quantified but you need to understand music theory, composition, production, arrangement, and then songwriting, popular music and it's marketing etc etc, not just claim to like someone because you happen to like simplistic music that's popular.

Quantified?

Quantified?

I think, ladies and gentlemen, we have reached the crux of the argument: this fellow believes that music is an objective matter. Quite astounding really; a logical marvel, a true case study worthy for remembrance in the annals of philosophy and musical history.
Reply 67
Original post by Ory
Fagen was more influenced by a lot of other artists, guessing from their music probably all of the jazz greats, blues, motown, country, and others. How much influence did Dylan have? I am guessing not a particularly large amount.

A number of artists were named in the poll and the subsequent post I and others made.

Elvis, Guthrie, Nelson - just those three - make Dylan look a little lightweight. That can be quantified but you need to understand music theory, composition, production, arrangement, and then songwriting, popular music and it's marketing etc etc, not just claim to like someone because you happen to like simplistic music that's popular.

But again your missing the point, it's not that those three make 'Dylan look a little lightweight', it's that you were arguing about the influence of Bob Dylan, the guy from Steely Dan has said he has been influenced by Dylan, as have many others that have already been presented to you much earlier.

You don't seem to understand that it's not a competition..
Reply 68
Ory
OP
Original post by MJOwen
There's more to it than 'hit making'. To be popular all the time one would have to make concessions to somebody else's taste(s) and pander to the market- sell out basically. Listen to his lyrics and compare them to today's 'lyrics'. He's a poet :smile:

He's not all that compared to Springsteen, Guthrie, Nelson and many others even John/Taupin - that's the point isn't it? Prince alone has produced more interesting and influential music/lyrics than Dylan. Masser too.

IF you don't think he was and is commercial then think again - they all make compromises.
Reply 69
Ory
OP
How can we reveal the poll? No date for expiry was set when it was posted, and it's hidden.

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!
Reply 70
Original post by Ory
He's not all that compared to Springsteen, Guthrie, Nelson and many others even John/Taupin - that's the point isn't it? Prince alone has produced more interesting and influential music/lyrics than Dylan. Masser too.

IF you don't think he was and is commercial then think again - they all make compromises.

Yes they do make compromises, they wouldn't sell and promote it otherwise :wink: But I don't think you can say Dylan 'sucks' by any definition; his influence is extremely pervasive and his lyrics aren't as banal and platitudinous as the overwhelming majority of past and present musicians. There are many great artists out there and Dylan is certainly among them.
Reply 71
Ory
OP
But again your missing the point, it's not that those three make 'Dylan look a little lightweight', it's that you were arguing about the influence of Bob Dylan, the guy from Steely Dan has said he has been influenced by Dylan, as have many others that have already been presented to you much earlier.

No Fagen said he was an influence. So what. There's more Charlie Parker, Lenny Bruce and Ray Charles in any Fagen song than there is Dylan. Listen to the bridges and the cadence, the intros and the intros to choruses in any Fagen song - it's miles away from Dylan , who likely had a small impact on what Fagen eventually produced. Fagen influenced Fagen - he dwarfs Dylan in almost all aspects - even lyrics - and is light years ahead.

You don't seem to understand that it's not a competition..

It is a competition when the Dylan fanboys, unlike most others (except the MJ and Beatles/Lennon fanboys) come out and say "DYLAN WAS SO INFLUENTIAL"!!!
Can't be ar**d to read all of this thread, but, although I personally don't get off on the majority of his stuff, he was mooted for the Nobel prize for literature this year.

That must say something, from the land that gave us Abba :eek:
Reply 73
Ory
OP
Guthrie did in 45 what Dylan couldn't really ever do, with the exception of a handful of tunes.

Be authentic.
Reply 74
Original post by Ory
No Fagen said he was an influence. So what. There's more Charlie Parker, Lenny Bruce and Ray Charles in any Fagen song than there is Dylan. Listen to the bridges and the cadence, the intros and the intros to choruses in any Fagen song - it's miles away from Dylan , who likely had a small impact on what Fagen eventually produced. Fagen influenced Fagen - he dwarfs Dylan in almost all aspects - even lyrics - and is light years ahead.

It is a competition when the Dylan fanboys, unlike most others (except the MJ and Beatles/Lennon fanboys) come out and say "DYLAN WAS SO INFLUENTIAL"!!!

Look, hide behind your keyboard and make stupid points and come up with pseudo-intellectual retorts, but I'm board of you now. Listen to Dylan, don't listen to Dylan, honestly no one cares, sit on your high horse and don't accept anyone's argument that's up to you, but perhaps if you look around a bit you and read a bit you'll find that Dylan is extremely influential.

Maybe you've been attacked by a gang of Dylan lookalikes in your childhood, so you have to talk rubbish about him, but I feel sorry for you, your missing out.
Reply 76
Ory
OP
Original post by charco
Can't be ar**d to read all of this thread, but, although I personally don't get off on the majority of his stuff, he was mooted for the Nobel prize for literature this year.

That must say something, from the land that gave us Abba :eek:

HAHAH Nice! We all know those Nobel prizes are the touchstone of brilliance. Especially the peace prize, and the economics prize awarded each year to pseudo scientists.
Reply 77
Ory
OP

HAHAHA good one.

But even this was better. Dylan gets trounced by an actor playing a pop singer!
Reply 78
Ory
OP
Look, hide behind your keyboard and make stupid points and come up with pseudo-intellectual retorts, but I'm board of you now. Listen to Dylan, don't listen to Dylan, honestly no one cares, sit on your high horse and don't accept anyone's argument that's up to you, but perhaps if you look around a bit you and read a bit you'll find that Dylan is extremely influential.

Maybe you've been attacked by a gang of Dylan lookalikes in your childhood, so you have to talk rubbish about him, but I feel sorry for you, your missing out.

Hahahah this is gold! The fanboyism ensconced for the future generations to see how Dylan fanboys think and react (and no spell properly),.

There's no pseudo intellectual retort in what I said, even a Bachelor's level music student can confirm or understand what I said.

You need to read some books or start learning music.
Reply 79
It's all a matter of opinion unless you are someone who lives and dies by 'Top 100' lists. Personally I'd much rather listen to Don McLean or Billy Joel or Bruce Springsteen.

Quick Reply

Latest