The Student Room Group

GCSE Triple Science

Hi, I'm doing GCSE triple science (year 10) but I'm doing pretty bad,
I got 27% on one of my mock exams for Biology and I don't really know how to revise.
I really want to carry all three science subjects on to AS and A2 levels but I think I might fail.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Joeyboy 12
I got 27% on one of my mock exams for Biology and I don't really know how to revise.
I really want to carry all three science subjects on to AS and A2 levels but I think I might fail.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Try bitesize, look for the topics that have come up in your mock exam, and then go through it on bitesize. Also make sure you know how and why you got a low mark in your mock exam(learn from your mistakes), otherwise the mock exam was useless.
Cant u switch to double?
Reply 3
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Remember your mocks don't set your grades in stone (D in RS mock, A in actual thing). I always got C's in my mocks, but I did good in the whole thing. What are your grades for core and additional (if you have them) because if you do good in them, then if you don't do as well in triple it won't be too bad (ISA's help A LOT too!)

Get the CGP revision guides (one for bio, one for chem and one for phys) they are brilliant!
Don't be disheartened at this stage! I did awfully in my mocks, but in the real thing, I got the grades I wanted.
At GCSE level, make sure you know about every topic so that nothing throws you off when you get to the exam.
Everybody revises differently. Find out how you do it best, whether it be through revision cards/notes, listening to podcasts (you can record your notes and listen to them :smile:) or posters etc.

Not doing triple science is not the end of the world, but if you do want to do those subjects at A Level, I really would recommend you carry on because it gives you a solid foundation for doing so, and with hard work, you'll get there!
Reply 5
Mocks are not always a true reflection of your true capabilities so don't be disheartened. Additionally, don't feel pressured to pursue the sciences at a higher level if they're not for you; there are plenty of other subjects that are as highly regarded..
Reply 6
@anwar1 Im interested in medicine so that's not the best idea
I got D,E and U in my mocks, I got A*A*A* in the end, so doing stress about them, they aren't that important. Just use them as a springboard to improve upon :smile: good luck, triple science was my favourite subject, I can't reccomend ti enough :wink:
Reply 8
Thanks
One of my brightest students (he gets pretty much 100UMS in every science exam) got a low D in his first mock.

The key is what you do about it.

1)Get a Revision Guide (and workbook) - The CGP ones are excellent!
2)Start your revision by reading through the specification points and working out how much you CANT do (i get my students to traffic light it). This gives you a list of things you need to work on, and also gives you an idea how much work there is to do (so how much time you need to put aside).
3) Revise the things you CANT do first. When you think you understand it, do some questions (part of a past paper or workbook) to check you get it. If you are happy, check it off the list and move on. Revise however you prefer, some examples of good techniques:
-look/cover/write/check
-mind maps
-posters
-flip cards
-key word lists
-rhymes and songs
-re-writing notes in your own words
-working with a friend/sibling/parent, reading something then quizzing/being quizzed on it

4) When you feel fairly happy, do a full past paper in exam conditions. Check the answers. Flag up any areas that need following up and do so. Repeat with a different past paper until you are getting all the answers right!
5) Do the exam. Get an A*.
Reply 10
Original post by gingerbreadman85
One of my brightest students (he gets pretty much 100UMS in every science exam) got a low D in his first mock.

The key is what you do about it.

1)Get a Revision Guide (and workbook) - The CGP ones are excellent!
2)Start your revision by reading through the specification points and working out how much you CANT do (i get my students to traffic light it). This gives you a list of things you need to work on, and also gives you an idea how much work there is to do (so how much time you need to put aside).
3) Revise the things you CANT do first. When you think you understand it, do some questions (part of a past paper or workbook) to check you get it. If you are happy, check it off the list and move on. Revise however you prefer, some examples of good techniques:
-look/cover/write/check
-mind maps
-posters
-flip cards
-key word lists
-rhymes and songs
-re-writing notes in your own words
-working with a friend/sibling/parent, reading something then quizzing/being quizzed on it

4) When you feel fairly happy, do a full past paper in exam conditions. Check the answers. Flag up any areas that need following up and do so. Repeat with a different past paper until you are getting all the answers right!
5) Do the exam. Get an A*.

I suppose I just need to find a way of revising that suits me
I suppose I just need to find a way of revising that suits me

Definitely. Don't think of it as something to work out so you can do well in your GCSEs, developing good and effective revision techniques is important for ANY exam you may have to do between now and getting a job.

If you can work it out now, you'll make the next 7-8 years (more if you want to be a medic) a lot easier.
Reply 12
Original post by gingerbreadman85
Definitely. Don't think of it as something to work out so you can do well in your GCSEs, developing good and effective revision techniques is important for ANY exam you may have to do between now and getting a job.

If you can work it out now, you'll make the next 7-8 years (more if you want to be a medic) a lot easier.

Thanks alot
Reply 13
Hi guys i'm currently in year 11 and doing edexcel triple science. In chemistry i have the following C1a :A*(36) C1b:A* (38) Practical:A* (39) IAA: B (32) C2 Written :A*(36) C2 Multiple choice :A* (38) Practical:A* (36) IAA: B (32). I am currently preparing for my C3 final exams can anybody give an idea on possibly what grade i'm currently on as by looking at the spec i'm getting really worried?
Reply 14
Original post by Abhiraj
Hi guys i'm currently in year 11 and doing edexcel triple science. In chemistry i have the following C1a :A*(36) C1b:A* (38) Practical:A* (39) IAA: B (32) C2 Written :A*(36) C2 Multiple choice :A* (38) Practical:A* (36) IAA: B (32). I am currently preparing for my C3 final exams can anybody give an idea on possibly what grade i'm currently on as by looking at the spec i'm getting really worried?

I'd say either very high A or most likely A*
Reply 15
the new aqa gcse science spec is total shizzzz.

Seriously, try past exam papers. The questions are different each year but the answers they're looking for are the same. Mark them yourself so you can become familiar with the mark scheme.

I remember getting a U in my isa twice in a row in year nine and ten. Retook chem isa like three four times?

I got three A* at the end tho.
You can really afford to do extremely bad in your mocks, you need to be doing higher in order to do a level sciences.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
I'm doing double sciences but I will be entered for triple by my school. I will be studying at home and with a private tutor.

I was able to get two A* in the biology and physics mock. However only 3 people in my class were able to pass the mocks and I know for a fact most of them who failed could easily gain B+. Don't take the mock seriously. It's just there to tell you, how much you need to revise.

Best of luck with your revision.
Reply 17
I've got OCR, but in my new mocks i got two high As and an A* which has given me more confidence in myself.
I can't really do any exam papers as the new spec only has one exam paper which I've already done. My proper exams are soon so I'm revising like crazy
Reply 18
I recommend a tutor - one of your teachers (although this may be creepy, he/she is the best person to teach you) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending