The Student Room Group

Experiences with Microlink?

Hello! I got all my stuff back from the NHS Bursaries and they've gone with the cheapest supplier, Microlink.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? I sent them (via email) my paperwork, then without a response, I chased them up this week. They eventually replied but when I asked if they could let me know what happened now and if they had a timescale, I received no reply, again.

Should I chase them up? How long does it normally take for them to sort out the equipment and delivery?

Thanks in advance!
Thats not good - I tend to use another supplier (Iansyst), and they usually contact student within a few days of receiving confirmation of funding, and deliver equipment within 10 days.

Hassle Microlink a bit more, ask to book a date for equipment delivery. If the person fobs you off, ask to speak to Cutomer Services/Complaints....that will get things moving!
Reply 2
Thank you! I contacted them and delivery is for 9th November. A person setting up will not be there on the day, is this usual? They said I have to arrange someone to do it. I could probably do it meself but they say not to open stuff up or it might invalidate the warranty.
Original post by brain_opera
Thank you! I contacted them and delivery is for 9th November. A person setting up will not be there on the day, is this usual? They said I have to arrange someone to do it. I could probably do it meself but they say not to open stuff up or it might invalidate the warranty.

I'd check your needs assessment report, and specifically the equipment quote at the end - if it says "delivery and setup" (I'm sure it will) then insist on someone coming round to set it up and check all the expected kit is there and working properly.....companies like Microlink & Iansyst charge anything from £50 to £100 for this service, so if its on the quote and been paid (by public funds from the poor old tax payer :wink:), it should be done.

If Microlink stall, or you feel you are not getting a good service, report this to your Disability Service, or wherever you had your needs assessment carried out - needs asessors like myself rely on good after sales service from these companies, and if that is not happening, we want to hear about it.

Hope it all works out for you!
Original post by brain_opera
Hello! I got all my stuff back from the NHS Bursaries and they've gone with the cheapest supplier, Microlink.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? I sent them (via email) my paperwork, then without a response, I chased them up this week. They eventually replied but when I asked if they could let me know what happened now and if they had a timescale, I received no reply, again.

Should I chase them up? How long does it normally take for them to sort out the equipment and delivery?

Thanks in advance!

My dsa equipment was through Microlink. I had to contact them to start with and email a copy of the quote through to them, then they organised the date for delivery. I think they took loger than would be expected because my dsa advisor rang me a few weeks after I got the quote to see how I was getting on with the equipment and I still didn't have it.
The day before it was all due to be delivered, I had a call saying the laptop was out of stock and they'd move the date. I had to hassle them a bit then because I was due to leave the country for my year abroad and wouldn't be at home for the week they wanted to deliver, but they still got it delivered. It took about a month in all.
Once it was at home, I got a call from one of the independent people they use to set up the equipment (because none of theirs were available, they contacted him for me and he rang me soon after it was delivered) and he came round a few days later. All he did was take the stuff out of the boxes, plug it in and turn it on. You can't open anything yourself.
The only thing missing was the laptop case, which he said he'd made a note of and would pass on it the report to microlink.
I should have had training too, but because of the delay there was no time as I left the country a few days later.

They were generally very good, customer service were helpful, but ringing the day before when I'd made arrangements to be in to tell me they didn't have the laptop wasn't exactly great :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you! They've redeemed themselves by having the engineer guy showing up tomorrow 2 hours after the stuff to show me what's what. Which means I can use my dictaphone on my Thursday life sciences lecture. I cannot WAIT to do that, it's the earliest and most difficult lecture I have each week. I am very medicated and blurry at that time in the morning and as a result none of it has been going in. I may actually be able to remember the lecture on Friday morning for the first time, hooray!

The only annoyance is I'm having a nightmare sorting out the mentor with the university. I've emailed them now 6 times and called them twice. Nothing!

Quick Reply

Latest