The Student Room Group

Great maths books to read?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zhy
If you haven't encountered calculus, get K A Stroud's "Engineering Mathematics". If you've encountered calculus, get K A Stroud's "Advanced Engineering Mathematics". Even if you don't want to be an engineer, it tells you about some really interesting concepts.

He said he's an A-level student. I don't see how "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" would be in anyway appropriate for him. Also I don't think the OP had uni level text books in mind....

OP my recommendations:

-"What is Mathematics?" by Richard Courant
-"Language of Mathematics" by Keith Devlin

Both of these should be accessible to someone at your level but have more meat on them than, say, Bill Bryson or Simon Singh (nothing against those authors, just offering a different perspective).

Oh and "Alex's Adventures in Numberland" by Alex Bellos is a bit pop-sciency, but it does offer an interesting fresh take on the "mathematics for idiots" genre.
(edited 12 years ago)
Cheers thanks a lot everyone. I think I will get Fermats Last Theorum, A Mathematicians Apology, The Pleasures of Counting, Riemanns Zeros, What is Mathematics, Engineering Mathematics and God Created the Integers. They should keep me going for a while!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Cheers thanks a lot everyone. I think I will get Fermats Last Theorum, A Mathematicians Apology, The Pleasures of Counting, Riemanns Zeros, Engineering Mathematics and God Created the Integers. They should keep me going for a while!

what you should read is Bertrand Russell's Principles of Mathmatics..... amazing book, showing why maths is in everything. a short but masterful work
Original post by DaveT123
what you should read is Bertrand Russell's Principles of Mathmatics..... amazing book, showing why maths is in everything. a short but masterful work

I'm sure one more book can't do any harm! :biggrin:

Is there any book in particular, that is on the list I just stated, that I should read first? Or any particular order that they should be read in?
Reply 24
Fermat and Riemann for bedtime reading, Engineering Mathematics and God CtI when when you're actully really feeling like learning maths
Cheers everyone, you've all been a great help :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by BigFudamental
He said he's an A-level student. I don't see how "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" would be in anyway appropriate for him. Also I don't think the OP had uni level text books in mind....

OP my recommendations:

-"What is Mathematics?" by Richard Courant
-"Language of Mathematics" by Keith Devlin

Both of these should be accessible to someone at your level but have more meat on them than, say, Bill Bryson or Simon Singh (nothing against those authors, just offering a different perspective).

Oh and "Alex's Adventures in Numberland" by Alex Bellos is a bit pop-sciency, but it does offer an interesting fresh take on the "mathematics for idiots" genre.

I think the first book "Engineering Mathematics" is fine for an A-level student. Calculus is introduced in the book and everything is almost spoonfed with lots of concise examples on almost every page.
I just bought the Princeton Companion to Mathematics. Should help me a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest