The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Queen Margaret University

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, the girls do seem to outnumber the guys (unfortunately :wink:) but there are still plenty here lol. And the transportation to Edinburgh is great - there's a bus that goes every 10 minutes (I think) and that takes 20-30 minutes to get to Edinburgh city centre, and there's a train that goes every hour that gets you there in about 3 minutes :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Hey, does anyone have any info about the costume design course? That's what I'm looking to do at QMU and wanted to get some opinions.
LittleMissStone
Hey, does anyone have any info about the costume design course? That's what I'm looking to do at QMU and wanted to get some opinions.

MEEE
i'm doing it now!

so far it's great fun,small class.
days are pretty similar,more than likely you're in the same room most of the day with a few breaks.

it's pretty intense but really really good thus far.

for the first three weeks, you basically have 3 days pattern cutting and drafting, one day drawing, and on wednesday we usually go look at some stuff in edinburgh or glasgow or just have a day off.

after that you work on shows with people in your year and second years, with third and fourth years supervising/designing.

during/before/after your shows (depending on what show you are allocated to) you pair up and make a fitted garment, you also work on your sketchbooks and develop your drawing style.

the thing is the course is changed this year, and it may change again next year. it is still a very intense and worthwhile course.

go for it.

anything specific you want to know?
wow it sounds really busy, i was looking through the prospectus and it says something about a competitive interview. When i asked my textiles teacher she hadn't even heard of it? Did you have one, or do you know what it is?
LittleMissStone
wow it sounds really busy, i was looking through the prospectus and it says something about a competitive interview. When i asked my textiles teacher she hadn't even heard of it? Did you have one, or do you know what it is?

naw,just a normal interview for me. but i did my interveiw in 2008,i think.

they did say though that we weren't picked on our ability...we were picked on how we could compliment a team. it's good to be aware of where you feel you need to improve as wellas what you're good at in the interview.

i could ask tomorrow if you like?
Reply 985
Do you guys know anything about the Events Management course??
I applied for 2010 entry and really would love to know some opinions/rep about that course at QMU!

I real that the transportation to Glasgow and Edinburgh is quite good, so is it a good idea to look for a part-time job in these cities. And I really would like to volunteer at a radio station in glasgow! :yes:

How long did you guys have to wait to get an offer from QMU?
I applied in the first week of Sep., and the wait kills me! :woo:

Thanks up front you guys!
xo
Yeah that would be really helpful, thanks
Reply 987
missantje
I applied for 2010 entry and really would love to know some opinions/rep about that course at QMU!

I real that the transportation to Glasgow and Edinburgh is quite good, so is it a good idea to look for a part-time job in these cities. And I really would like to volunteer at a radio station in glasgow! :yes:

xo

Hey, I don't know about events in particular but I do Marketing in the "Business school" and everyone is really nice, helpful and welcoming. Becki_91 on here does Events Management so I'll give her a shout and get her to give you some of the specifics!
As far as waiting is concerned I think it took a month/two/three but it varies from course to course!

As far as part-time jobs go- Edinburgh's pretty practical to get a job in, direct buses/trains but Glasgow is about an hour from Waverley so you'd have to rely on trains quite a bit, though all the trains are at least hourly.

Hope any of this helps, will try and find Becki_91 to get her to come back on here with more details about the course!!
Reply 988
fb1991
Hey, I don't know about events in particular but I do Marketing in the "Business school" and everyone is really nice, helpful and welcoming. Becki_91 on here does Events Management so I'll give her a shout and get her to give you some of the specifics!
As far as waiting is concerned I think it took a month/two/three but it varies from course to course!

As far as part-time jobs go- Edinburgh's pretty practical to get a job in, direct buses/trains but Glasgow is about an hour from Waverley so you'd have to rely on trains quite a bit, though all the trains are at least hourly.

Hope any of this helps, will try and find Becki_91 to get her to come back on here with more details about the course!!

Aww thank you so much for your help!!! That's so useful!
If everybody at QMU is sooo nice like everybody in this thread, I'd definitely pick QMU to go to IF I get an offer hopefully!!! :love:

It would be great when I could talk to Becki about the course because I really would like to know about the work experiences and stuff!!!
Many thanks again!!!!
:yes:
xo
missantje
Aww thank you so much for your help!!! That's so useful!
If everybody at QMU is sooo nice like everybody in this thread, I'd definitely pick QMU to go to IF I get an offer hopefully!!! :love:

It would be great when I could talk to Becki about the course because I really would like to know about the work experiences and stuff!!!
Many thanks again!!!!
:yes:
xo

The majority of people I've met in my 3 weeks here have been lovely, I love it here! :yes:
Reply 990
Yeah everyone's really nice, apart from this blonde northern irish girl who also does PR who likes strictly come dancing...

I mentioned it to Becki so I think she'll do it when she gets time :-D
fb1991
Yeah everyone's really nice, apart from this blonde northern irish girl who also does PR who likes strictly come dancing...

Yeah, well when I said the majority of people, I wasn't including you ... :p:

(Joking of course :wink:)
Reply 992
hannahhi
The majority of people I've met in my 3 weeks here have been lovely, I love it here! :yes:

Awesome! That's really cool, glad you're having fun!

Do you girls think it is better/worse to study a course 4 years in Scotland instead of 3 years in England? Is there more work experience then in the 4 year courses in Scotland? :confused:
missantje
Awesome! That's really cool, glad you're having fun!

Do you girls think it is better/worse to study a course 4 years in Scotland instead of 3 years in England? Is there more work experience then in the 4 year courses in Scotland? :confused:

:biggrin:

Ermmm and I'd say it varies from course to course. When I applied there were Unis in England that offered more placement for my course than QMU did - but they were 3 year rather than 4 year like here. You really just need to look at what the university offers you in those 3/4 years - I don't think it's better/worse to do the 4 year course.
Reply 994
Did QMU sent you guys any kind of acknowledgement that they got your application after you applied?

Thanks!
Reply 995
fb1991

Thank you so much!!! :smile:
Reply 996
missantje

xo

Hi, Im currently in my first year on the Events Management course, what is it you would like to know??

Hope i will have some answers for you :biggrin:
Reply 997
Becki_91
Hi, Im currently in my first year on the Events Management course, what is it you would like to know??

Hope i will have some answers for you :biggrin:

Thanks so much for coming on here!!! :biggrin:
Hmmm sooo much....

Did you get an acknowledgement when You applied through UCAS?
How long did it take to get an offer?
How do you like Events Management?
Is there lots of Math in it?
How's the class size?
How do you get along with your lecturers and course mates?
Is there work experience in the course, how long and do you know where you want to do it?
Are there good opportunities to volunteer for festivals and stuff to gain more experience?
How does the Uni support you to gain work experience?
Is it very hard with a lot of assignments?
How many hours do you spent in Uni?
Do you have to read a lot and what kind of books?
What kind of assignments do they give you e.g. essays?
How do you like the teaching methods?
Did you have to pick all of your modules yet?
How does a typical week or day look like for you?

Haha I know it's a lot! Basically how do you like it and do you think you'll be satisfied with it and is it what you expected?

Thank you soooo much for taking the time to help me!!!!
Reply 998
missantje
Thanks so much for coming on here!!! :biggrin:
Hmmm sooo much....

Did you get an acknowledgement when You applied through UCAS?
How long did it take to get an offer?
How do you like Events Management?
Is there lots of Math in it?
How's the class size?
How do you get along with your lecturers and course mates?
Is there work experience in the course, how long and do you know where you want to do it?
Are there good opportunities to volunteer for festivals and stuff to gain more experience?
How does the Uni support you to gain work experience?
Is it very hard with a lot of assignments?
How many hours do you spent in Uni?
Do you have to read a lot and what kind of books?
What kind of assignments do they give you e.g. essays?
How do you like the teaching methods?
Did you have to pick all of your modules yet?
How does a typical week or day look like for you?

Haha I know it's a lot! Basically how do you like it and do you think you'll be satisfied with it and is it what you expected?

Thank you soooo much for taking the time to help me!!!!

Thats fine :biggrin: Right i shall do my best to answer as many questions as possible, I have only just started the course so some things i am unsure about myself :s-smilie:

1. From what i remember i did, I think i got a letter from the University stating that they had received my application also.
2. I think it took a few months, QMU was the last university to respond, i was getting a little nervous.
3. Im finding the course very interesting so far, we are currently studying 'introduction to events' the main lecture for this is very enthusiastic and makes lectures and tutorials interesting.
4. I have so far done no maths at all, I am only 3 weeks in though.
5. Im not sure on exact numbers but lectures are around 80-100 people, i think. Tutorials however are a lot smaller, only around 20 people.
6. As i said the lectures seem very nice, and very helpful, it is easy to contact them through email and their reply's are usually very speedy. My course mates also seem nice! I live with one girl who is on my course, and im also getting to know a few others. As there is 2 other modules that you do you do not spend all your time with the same group.
7. I dont think there is any included in the course though Joe (the lecturer) posts regular work experiance opportunities and other work available. A lot of getting into Events seems to be networking, there seems to be opportunities for this as we have guest lecturers and other events in the university.
8.Yes - Very simple
9. I pretty much answered that one above. In the university there is also a 'jobshop' which tries to help students looking for work experience or part time jobs.
10. Not tooo much work right now, im sure my workload will increase!
11. I currently only spend 6 hrs a week in lectures and 4 hrs a week in tutorials, i then also have an hours computer workshop.
12. For events we have two core texts this semester, i imagine they will be helpful for the whole time at uni. I also have a core text for each of my other modules.
13. For this first semester they are using an essay and a presentation for assessment. It can be exams and other things, each different module has a different method each carrying a different percentage.
14.I quite enjoy the teaching methods, Joe gives us podcasts to listen to to compliment his lectures and tutorials, i find this helpful.
15. You pick your modules in the first couple of weeks :biggrin:
16.My week is awesome, im hardly in at all :biggrin:
I have nothing on Monday and Tuesday
I then have two tutorials on a Wednesday
Thursdays i have a lecture and a computer workshop
Fridays i have two lectures and a tutorial.

Hope that helps, sorry for the lack of detail on some points. Any other questions, just ask :biggrin:
Reply 999
Becki_91
Thats fine :biggrin: Right i shall do my best to answer as many questions as possible, I have only just started the course so some things i am unsure about myself :s-smilie:

1. From what i remember i did, I think i got a letter from the University stating that they had received my application also.
2. I think it took a few months, QMU was the last university to respond, i was getting a little nervous.
3. Im finding the course very interesting so far, we are currently studying 'introduction to events' the main lecture for this is very enthusiastic and makes lectures and tutorials interesting.
4. I have so far done no maths at all, I am only 3 weeks in though.
5. Im not sure on exact numbers but lectures are around 80-100 people, i think. Tutorials however are a lot smaller, only around 20 people.
6. As i said the lectures seem very nice, and very helpful, it is easy to contact them through email and their reply's are usually very speedy. My course mates also seem nice! I live with one girl who is on my course, and im also getting to know a few others. As there is 2 other modules that you do you do not spend all your time with the same group.
7. I dont think there is any included in the course though Joe (the lecturer) posts regular work experiance opportunities and other work available. A lot of getting into Events seems to be networking, there seems to be opportunities for this as we have guest lecturers and other events in the university.
8.Yes - Very simple
9. I pretty much answered that one above. In the university there is also a 'jobshop' which tries to help students looking for work experience or part time jobs.
10. Not tooo much work right now, im sure my workload will increase!
11. I currently only spend 6 hrs a week in lectures and 4 hrs a week in tutorials, i then also have an hours computer workshop.
12. For events we have two core texts this semester, i imagine they will be helpful for the whole time at uni. I also have a core text for each of my other modules.
13. For this first semester they are using an essay and a presentation for assessment. It can be exams and other things, each different module has a different method each carrying a different percentage.
14.I quite enjoy the teaching methods, Joe gives us podcasts to listen to to compliment his lectures and tutorials, i find this helpful.
15. You pick your modules in the first couple of weeks :biggrin:
16.My week is awesome, im hardly in at all :biggrin:
I have nothing on Monday and Tuesday
I then have two tutorials on a Wednesday
Thursdays i have a lecture and a computer workshop
Fridays i have two lectures and a tutorial.

Hope that helps, sorry for the lack of detail on some points. Any other questions, just ask :biggrin:

Thank you sooo much!! You're awesome!! :biggrin:

That all sounds soooo great! I'm getting sooo excited now but also worried! I applied on Sep. 9th and haven't gotten any letters from QMU so far! Should I be worried that they didn't acknowledge my application??? :confused:

Do you know if you are gonna have a work placement?
I think I read that there is a 16-week work placement during the second year! Do you know anything about that?
Are you intending to do a Masters Degree after that course?
What modules did you choose?

And about accomodation: When did you have to pay the deposit and how much is it? How do you pay your rent? Weekly? When did you have to sign up for accomodaion? Do you like your roommates? How did freshers week go for you?

Many thanks again! Glad you're enjoying the course so much!
I wish you all the best!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest