The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths to A-Level Maths and Further Maths.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CharlieBoardman

I used to be prone to stupid mistakes, due to not reading questions properly, but I've learnt to slow down, and not do everything at 100mph now haha. Those are great scores though. What grades do you think you'll get in the outcome? Have you thought about getting a tutor for maths? Because I have a gat relationship with my current teachers in Maths and Physics, and I believe this helps a lot. I'm considering having them tutor me every so often when I go to college, not due to worry of not doing well at college, but just because i find the way they teach really works for me, not entirely sure yet.

Well im only doing Further to AS, I'll be doing law at Uni so there isnt much point, I dont need 4 A levels and dont want to ruin my chances in the others. better safe than sorry! also i cant wait to not have that teacher... Ill be finished with Maths all together in January so will have lots of free time to revise for my other 2 exams. (only 8 hours of lessons a week :biggrin: :biggrin:) and one of those is physics, so itll be a doddle :smile:
So Ill have an A in AS Further (one more module to sit towards that), and would be very very very dissapointed if I dont get an A* in Maths.. if I dont ill resit some modules in summer, but Im confident that if I actually learn the content then I will get my A*

Ah see I don't find tutors that much help. I had this same crap teacher for FP1 last year so we all just taught ourselves from the textbook and i managed 98%, so hoping to just do the same with this years modules. Just need to find the willpower to sit down and actually go through the whole book. Its only C3 C4 though, i have good teachers for S1 M1 this year, so its really not so bad :smile:
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
What type of books? :confused:

Fermats last theorem is great and flatland by edwin abbot abbott is fantastic in case you wanted any recommendation >.<
I'm currently reading 'The Musics of the Primes' by Marcus du Sautoy, which is basically history of how the primes are such mysterious and unpredictable numbers, but how Mathematicians such as Gauss and Riemann for example have worked with the primes to try and understand them and try to discover some order within their seemingly chaotic appearance. I'm then going to read 'what is mathematics', 'god created the integers', and I have a few more on my waiting list :smile:
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and have a strong A* in GCSE Maths. Is this a good indicator of how I will cope with A Level Maths and Further Maths? I'm just curious :smile:

I got an A* at GCSE and am finding maths and FM very straightforwad and SO MUCH more fun than GCSE, if you like maths you'll love fm really really awesome
Original post by silverspoonmess
Well im only doing Further to AS, I'll be doing law at Uni so there isnt much point, I dont need 4 A levels and dont want to ruin my chances in the others. better safe than sorry! also i cant wait to not have that teacher... Ill be finished with Maths all together in January so will have lots of free time to revise for my other 2 exams. (only 8 hours of lessons a week :biggrin: :biggrin:) and one of those is physics, so itll be a doddle :smile:
So Ill have an A in AS Further (one more module to sit towards that), and would be very very very dissapointed if I dont get an A* in Maths.. if I dont ill resit some modules in summer, but Im confident that if I actually learn the content then I will get my A*

Ah see I don't find tutors that much help. I had this same crap teacher for FP1 last year so we all just taught ourselves from the textbook and i managed 98%, so hoping to just do the same with this years modules. Just need to find the willpower to sit down and actually go through the whole book. Its only C3 C4 though, i have good teachers for S1 M1 this year, so its really not so bad :smile:

Wise choice to only take FM to AS, don't want to put your other grades in jeopardy! Plus, like you said, FM isn't essential for Law anyway. I suppose you've benefitted from having this bad teacher in a way. If you got 98 from practically teaching yourself, it shows you're quite capable of learning independtly, which will play a big part at University! To me, it doesn't sound like you'll have a problem getting your A* :smile: Good Luck!

Original post by tooambitious
Fermats last theorem is great and flatland by edwin abbot abbott is fantastic in case you wanted any recommendation &gt;.&lt;

Fermats Last Theorum is already on my 'to read list' :smile: I've never heard of the latter though, I'll have to look into it :smile:

Original post by tooambitious
I got an A* at GCSE and am finding maths and FM very straightforwad and SO MUCH more fun than GCSE, if you like maths you'll love fm really really awesome

I really can't wait, GCSE is just a bit basic. I really want to learn the more advanced and exciting area of maths! Sounds good to me!

I suppose hard work pays off! Like they say, you reap what you sew!

Ha, well as a financier I'm not too keen on the analogy. If you sew £100, you wouldn't want to reap £100 - time is money :tongue: But yeah... you got it. A level Math isn't impossible, it just takes time to understand. And since the questions get repeated every year, your success probably comes down more to exam technique than to your knowledge. I remember virtually nothing of the syllabus.
Well I'm completely understanding GCSE Maths at the moment, and not finding it much of a challenge. It's my favourite subject, and I also read Maths related books outside of school purely out of interest and curiosity about areas in maths that I do not yet know about. So I'd say I'm more enthusiastic than your average maths student..

Based on that, I say give it a go.
Just appreciate GCSE means little in terms of the transition other than for weaker GCSE candidates (in the main).

Fermats Last Theorum is already on my 'to read list' :smile: I've never heard of the latter though, I'll have to look into it :smile:
Also a mathematician's apology I've heard is good - it's on my list!

I really can't wait, GCSE is just a bit basic. I really want to learn the more advanced and exciting area of maths! Sounds good to me!

I completely agree tbh
Reply 27

I love maths and physics, they're my favourite and strongest subjects :smile:

Oohh,then you'll be fine,dw :wink:
Reply 28
Original post by Altruistic1
I scored a B at GCSE and an A at A level. If you want it enough, you'll get it.

I agree A level is about you GCSE is more about your teacher/environment.
Cheers, thanks a lot everyone! I'm going to start studying C1 after my GCSE Exam!
Cheers :smile:
Here is my comparisons of A level maths modules and their alcohol cousins in terms of how I find students get on with them:

C1 - Wine Gums
C2 - Any alco pop
C3 - Stella - most people do ok on it but it sends few off the rails.
C4 - Special Brew

FP1 - Shandy Bass with added lemonade
FP2 - A pint of neat vodka
FP3 - Meths

ohhh and....

S1 - WKD purple with lemonade thus making it WKD Pink
Original post by BrianBlack
Here is my comparisons of A level maths modules and their alcohol cousins in terms of how I find students get on with them:

C1 - Wine Gums
C2 - Any alco pop
C3 - Stella - most people do ok on it but it sends few off the rails.
C4 - Special Brew

FP1 - Shandy Bass with added lemonade
FP2 - A pint of neat vodka
FP3 - Meths

ohhh and....

S1 - WKD purple with lemonade thus making it WKD Pink

Hahahah, this is the best reply I've had! However, I don't drink, so if I predict how well I am going to do by this system, I'm destined to fail miserably! Thanks a lot :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply