The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at getting into the better unis for CompSci A2 FMaths/Physics?

Okay, at the moment I'm doing my AS levels and my subjects are Maths, English literature, Biology and RS (Philosophy and Ethics). I wanted to pick Physics instead of Biology, but it clashed with RS :mad: I (reluctantly) tried to switch RS to Physics a couple weeks back, but it was too late.

Still, I'm hoping to do AS Further Maths - it's extracurricular in my sixth form (and if I can do that, I'm hoping to do the A2, too!). I'm also planning on doing an AS in Physics next year if I do well on my current AS levels, and if I have the option.

But, will I have any chance at getting into the better unis without a full A2 in Physics or Further Maths?

Thanks for any replies :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by I don't know
Okay, at the moment I'm doing my AS levels and my subjects are Maths, English literature, Biology and RS (Philosophy and Ethics). I wanted to pick Physics instead of Biology, but it clashed with RS :mad: I (reluctantly) tried to switch RS to Physics a couple weeks back, but it was too late.

Still, I'm hoping to do AS Further Maths - it's extracurricular in my sixth form (and if I can do that, I'm hoping to do the A2, too!). I'm also planning on doing an AS in Physics next year if I do well on my current AS levels, and if I have the option.

But, will I have any chance at getting into the better unis without a full A2 in Physics or Further Maths?

Thanks for any replies :smile:

Check some websites of where you are thinking. 'Better unis' is a bit vague. First one that popped into my head:

Warwick
High academic standard
You must satisfy us that your academic ability is excellent. For UK students, this means grades AAA at A-level (or Scottish Advanced Highers), but we accept many other qualifications.
Mathematics
The degree contains a significant mathematics component, and you must convince us that you are competent with Mathematics at a high level, to a standard of grade A at A-level (or equivalent).

Doesn't specify a need for Physics or Further, just Maths.

Another quick example:

Birmingham
Typical offers: AAB
Required subjects and grades: at least one A level or equivalent in a science subject (Mathematics, Physics or Computing preferred); Mathematics GCSE grade B if not at A level

Says to me, nope. Doing the Further Maths will probably help you when you get there though.
Reply 2
ok shot in the dark but i guess your talking about russel group uni's when you say better???

the only universities that require further maths: Oxbridge,Imperial for the straight CS course
noone else expects you to have done A2 Further Maths.

Not saying it wouldnt help but universities such as UCL really prefer people who has done a subject such as english lit so i wouldn't drop that

Id say continue with maths and get A* if you can then your all set :wink:

Further maths is quite a bit different to the conventional core maths

i'm just speaking as a fellow student here so don't take my words as fact

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending