The Student Room Group

Help urgently required

Hey everyone,

I'll start off by saying that I want to study my Undergrad in Japan.
However the course details are not relevant. What is relevant, is funding
my degree.

So where do I turn to? I think I'll need somewhere in the region of £18k every year,
for 4 years. This includes (or should) housing costs, tuition fees, and living costs.
Commercial banks cannot help me, as cannot the Government.

I'm having real difficulty in figuring this out and will greatly appreciate any useful answers. Thanks.
Reply 1
I promise I'm not posting for the sake of it, but this is an enormous undertaking, and even though taking some time to think about it, working hard and amassing as big a pile of savings you can isn't going to remotely cover even your first year's expenses, you really should.

The course details might be relevant if there's any chance you could convince a corporation to fund you, or apply for existing related scholarships.
Have you looked into any scholarships?

You may want to consider working for a year to build up savings then go off to study in Japan because you'd want to make things easier for yourself when you get there. Without building up debt from banks
Reply 3
Short of getting someone to sponsor you there really is nothing you can do to get funded. Surely everyone would want £18k "free" money if it was that easy?!
Reply 4
Hey,

so there's a suggestion that I should try and get sponsored by a private organisation?
I think this is a sensible idea, but how do I go about doing this? I would really have no clue on how to start, so if someone can give me pointers that would be helpful.

also, scholarships are another option. I will apply but my results aren't stellar. Does anyone know of any private organisations/trusts that can issue me with grants or scholarships? Specifically for Japan.

Of course, the last ditch is to just undertake regular bank loans. However I may get entirely screwed over if I can't find employment straight after graduating. £25k from 3 different banks with interest rates roughly equal to 10% doesn't sound inviting. I will probably not apply if it gets to this point.

Just so you know, I want to major in Economics. The prospective university also has excellent employment links and foundation from which to start a career in finance. That's one of the main reasons I'm willing to take out such burdensome fees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending