The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
BeitHaller
The newton raphson question got me in a tangle. I think I must have differentiated it wrong. I got 1 + 10e (^-0.5t)
that must be wrong though :frown:

Thought that paper was a toughie on the whole. Under a fair amount of time pressure

i think that is wat i differentiated it to... got the rite answer it seems 1.866?
Reply 21
I know most people wont believe me but i learnt the whole book last night, after school, before that i had only done the first two chapters, and when i was looking through the book it looked quite easy, but after doing the test i think maybe i should have looked at it earilyier the test was sold.
Reply 22
I tapped in 1.9 for the top and the bottom of the equation, and the top number was like 20 and the bottom number 12 lol. i was probably being stupid all of a sudden though lol
Reply 23
for q4, the first part was -1 +/- 2i rite?

so e^-x (Acos2x + Bsin2x)
Reply 24
wasent it 4x not 2x
Reply 25
I got 2x
Reply 26
BeitHaller
I got 2x

it better be or else i am screwed.. think i got minimum 50/75... was hoping for a B, but close enuf.... i guess
Reply 27
Kbartlett
wasent it 4x not 2x

2x. Remember √-4 = √4 √-1 = 2i not 4i.

I thought this test was absolutely EVIL. The differentiating I didnt even do well one of them :redface: and the polar I got really close but not quite (I got
a2(3√3 - 2)

so basically I missed out a 1/2 or sumthing somewhere. most of it was OK I spose......... λ=6? for complex one.

I think the interpolation one and newton-rapsoden was okay my answers seemed sensible.

This was way harder than any past paper I attempted, including all the new set of them. BOO. Retake maybe but I really dont wanna I already have to do FP2 and 3 this july :eek:
Reply 28
Yeah it was i?-16/2 which is 2i which makes e^-t(Acos2t+Bsin2t)
and hence A = 1 and B=1.... I put 4t too.
Reply 29
i got

e^-t(Acos2t +Bsin2t)

we're told x = 1 and dx/dt = 1 at t=0

e^-t(Acos2t +Bsin2t) = 1

= 1(A+0) = 1

A=1

dx/dt = e^-t(-2Asin2t +2Bcos2t) + [-e^-t(Acos2t +Bsin2t)] = 1

1[0+2B] - 1[A] = 1

2B - A = 1

2B -1 = 1

2B = 2

B=1

dammmmmmmmnnnnnn i forgot that -e^-t, so i got

2B + A = 1
2B +1 = 1

2B = 0

B = 0

how many marks would i lose then? as i got the next few parts wrong too!
Reply 30
I found it a really hard paper. I got A=1 and B=0 aswell. :frown:
theflcgal
ah i found it pretty much ok. been through the paper and i think i got about 67/72 so not too bad.

seeing as tought its out of 75 you'll have a bit of a problem getting that! hehe :p:
Reply 32
just accuracy mark isn't it your method is fine.
Reply 33
BeitHaller
I tapped in 1.9 for the top and the bottom of the equation, and the top number was like 20 and the bottom number 12 lol. i was probably being stupid all of a sudden though lol

So i'm not the only stupid one around here....
Can someone answer the question
how did you do the newton raphson?

f(x) = t + 26 - 20e^(-0.5t)

(I pressed it into the calculator a million times... so I remember it so clearly)
so... anyone able to help me?
Reply 34
haha, that paper screwed me!
I didn't have time to do the last 8 mark question, nor half of question 7
Thank god it doesnt count towards my offers!
Though by the sounds of this thread the first questions went alright...
for the inequality di people get something like x<0 and 2<x<4 ?
Reply 35
Yeah something like that.
Reply 36
kenobi124
So i'm not the only stupid one around here....
Can someone answer the question
how did you do the newton raphson?

f(x) = t + 26 - 20e^(-0.5t) - 20?

(I pressed it into the calculator a million times... so I remember it so clearly)
so... anyone able to help me?

see bold...

i screwed up on the inequalities on... i drew the graph, got x=4 and 0, but didnt know the signs, so i jus put x < 4... so some more marks lost there... as it was a 5 mark q, i guess i lost 2 for that...
Reply 37
np_desi
see bold...

i screwed up on the inequalities on... i drew the graph, got x=4 and 0, but didnt know the signs, so i jus put x < 4... so some more marks lost there... as it was a 5 mark q, i guess i lost 2 for that...

OH CRAP.... I REMEMBER NOW....
a very nasty habit of mine.... never reading the question..... dammit!
oh well.... retakes in june...
All in all, I thought it was a rather nice paper, easier than some of the past papers (7 questions instead of 8 is always nice, it seems to remove some sort of psychological barrier.. don't ask why :confused: ), and finished with about half an hour to spare. I managed to do all the 'show that' questions, of which there were a pleasing amount. I got A = 1 and B = 1, and the graph was a sinusoidal one that died to nearly zero, very quickly. The polar question was OK too, normally I have a tendancy to make silly numerical slips on these but I got to the given result first time, this time. Although that's more than can be said for the first question, in which I forgot that 1-2 &#8800; 3, eventually getting to the right answer.
Reply 39
can some1 remember the marks for all the q's?

1. 5 marks
2. 5 marks
4. 14 marks
7. 15 marks

that is wat i think.. can some1 plz post them!..thx!

Latest