The Student Room Group

Oxford Applicants for 2012 Entry MKII

I'm sure you've all seen the Cambridge one that appeared a few days ago so I've decided to make one for those aspiring to apply to Oxford rather than Cambridge.

(NB: I know that not many people, myself included, would not have decided between the two prestigious universities just yet but having both threads would allow applicants to discuss with current students to help us make a decision on which university.)

Anyhow, if you have already chosen Oxford whether for the location or its tutorial teaching system, etc. then post a brief profile of yourself ON THE STALKING PAGE and discuss with the other posters on this thread.

Oxford Applicants Stalking Page 2012 Entry

Username:
Subject:
GCSE:
AS:
College:

Use the above and post here if you can't use the Wiki edit or just go for it and copy how we have entered ours.

----

Links for 2012 Oxford Applicants:

Facebook group for all Oxford 2012 applicants

Just add yourself to the list if you wish to apply!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

My UCAS form was sent just over a week ago now and I was wondering whether I should have recieved an e-mail to confirm its arrival. I have had one from one of my other choices, but not from Oxford, and some other people at my school - who are applying to Oxford, but to different colleges - have had e-mails. Does anyone know wheter this is standard proceedure from Somerville?

Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by Anglo1
Hi,

My UCAS form was sent just over a week ago now and I was wondering whether I should have recieved an e-mail to confirm its arrival. I have had one from one of my other choices, but not from Oxford, and some other people at my school - who are applying to Oxford, but to different colleges - have had e-mails. Does anyone know wheter this is standard proceedure from Somerville?

Thanks

Don't worry - quite a few Colleges wait until all the applications are in to send out the acknowledgements. Somerville haven't sent out any yet.
Reply 3
Few, thank you. I can relax until Monday now.
Original post by Anglo1
Few, thank you. I can relax until Monday now.

Somerville seem pretty relaxed about...well, most things. It may be a little while. Don't worry about it. If you get invited for interview, bring some warm bed-clothes or a blanket or something... Penrose (where they put many of the interviewees last year) can get pretty cold, and feeling like crap for your interview because it was too cold to sleep is horrible.

Good luck. It's a lovely college.
Reply 5
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
Somerville seem pretty relaxed about...well, most things. It may be a little while. Don't worry about it. If you get invited for interview, bring some warm bed-clothes or a blanket or something... Penrose (where they put many of the interviewees last year) can get pretty cold, and feeling like crap for your interview because it was too cold to sleep is horrible.

Good luck. It's a lovely college.

Thanks. Actually, the laid-backness was one of my reasons for applying. I looked around Exeter College and I just thought 'There's grass there - just walk on it for crying out loud. Seriously, it doesn't matter!' I don't know, but Somerville seemed more sensible on all those kinds of thing.

That's useful advice as well, about bringing a blanket... though I don't imagine that I'll sleep much anyway. Hey-ho, I'm well versed in the art of functioning without sleep.

Thank you
Reply 6
Original post by Anglo1
Hi,

Thanks

Had a quick word with the office and UCAS applications are expected to be uploaded to the College server at the end of the week, same as every other College - don't know how your friends got their messages from their Colleges. Somerville haven't sent out acknowledgements in the last few years (printing out hundreds of letters takes ages in the middle of term when things are pretty busy anyway and applicants are getting an acknowledgement from the University) so you may not get a message from College, although you should get something from the University.
I know of someone who put the UCAS form in at the end of September and received e-mail from Oxford (for history) on 7th Oct. ... come to think about it I think it went into Spam - have you checked there??
Original post by itsalondonthing

I've applied to Hertford, Ox, for English and hadn't received anything. I just checked my spam folder on Google Mail and it's there :P! check yours
It was in the spam folder, having arrived ages ago! Cheers guys
Hi, i originally handed in my application on the 12th or 13th of October, however my tutor didn't decide to tell me i had done part of it wrong until the 17th, and that i need a specific refrence number for one of my courses which he has yet to give me. Now i am on half term and will not have college for another week, does this mean my application will be ignored if i re-enter it late?
Reply 11
I wonder why Gmail thinks a confirmation from Oxford needs to be in the Spam Folder!
It happened to me as well.
Reply 12
Original post by jonny7bell
Hi, i originally handed in my application on the 12th or 13th of October, however my tutor didn't decide to tell me i had done part of it wrong until the 17th, and that i need a specific refrence number for one of my courses which he has yet to give me. Now i am on half term and will not have college for another week, does this mean my application will be ignored if i re-enter it late?

In short, yes - sorry but that's the way it works. As you describe it, that's a bit disappointing from your tutor.
Reply 13
Email the University and applied for college immediately, explain that you handed in your application in on time and that your school screwed up, not you. This is not unheard of, one of my friends ran into the same issue with a deadline for an Cambridge choral scholarship and that was sorted out. The important thing is to get it sorted out now, and explain the situation. The admissions department are not heartless bastards and understand that to some degree you don't have control in some areas.

I find it highly unlikely that your application would be accepted if you just sent it off late with no explanation, but highly likely that it will be considered normally if you explain the situation.
Original post by JoMo1
Email the University and applied for college immediately, explain that you handed in your application in on time and that your school screwed up, not you. This is not unheard of, one of my friends ran into the same issue with a deadline for an Cambridge choral scholarship and that was sorted out. The important thing is to get it sorted out now, and explain the situation. The admissions department are not heartless bastards and understand that to some degree you don't have control in some areas.

I find it highly unlikely that your application would be accepted if you just sent it off late with no explanation, but highly likely that it will be considered normally if you explain the situation.

Where would i email (the specific college, the university in general, the help department)? And would i include this in the application somewhere?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by jonny7bell
Where would i email (the specific college, the university in general, the help department)? And would i include this in the application somewhere?

E-mail the college and the university. Both will have their own admissions department with readily available contact details, and they will advise you on what you need to do with regards to the application.
Yes you should be very worried. Oxford is going to reject you. Only joking bros!

Gmail placed Oxford emails to the Spam Folder cause there was this hacking probe within the Oxford email system. I got my acknowledgement quite early, like within two days after my application, but I've yet received anything from my College yet.....

Has anyone received an acknowledgement from their desired college yet?
Email the admissions tutor ASAP and explain the situation. Of course, don't rant lol
Reply 18
i haven't got my confirmation email yet either.... even though ive received them from the other unis i applied to
i checked my spam just then as well and it's not there .... :s-smilie:
Original post by jkkim
i haven't got my confirmation email yet either.... even though ive received them from the other unis i applied to
i checked my spam just then as well and it's not there .... :s-smilie:

If you applied on the application deadline then give it some time lol

Latest

Trending

Trending