The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I just got an email from Trinity *yay*
Kind of standard though..
Reply 101
Original post by confusedexcited
I got a confirmation email from Wadham a couple of days ago - which has just made me more nervous. It's a horrible thought to think of them actually poring over your application!

I also recieved an email just an hour ago about PPHs and the possibility of being sent to another college; but that's probably just because they've realised already that I'm not gonna make the grade!

everyone gets the PPH email.

They just want to know if you'd consider being interviewed at one, as they aren't colleges in the same sense as the others.
Reply 102
Original post by chinaberry
Do we really need to have teachers sign our passport photos?

I emailed re: the tape (non) issue and the lady who emailed back just mentioned writing name/course on the back. But the website the email links to says you need your referee or basically someone in authority to sign them.

I believe it's to stop someone posing as the student...

Seems ridiculous, but it's just a precaution.

Having a teacher sign the photo means you can't do it behind their back... Obviously the teacher could be in on the plan, but that seems unlikely.

To be honest I didn't have to get them signed when I applied (2009), but maybe they've changed their policy. Or it's a specific college policy.
Reply 103
Original post by StacFace
I write to inform you that your application to St Catherine’s has been received by the College and is now under active consideration.

Please note that several subjects require you to sit a written test as part of your application and/or to submit written work. Therefore, it is important that you check the application requirements for your subject by visiting the University website at www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/courses/ and clicking on the how to apply tab on your course page. You should ensure that any required work reaches us by the stated deadline of 10th November.

If you are required to come to Oxford in December we will send you a formal invitation, which will be despatched at least seven days before the scheduled date of interviews for the subject for which you are applying. Full details of the interview schedules can be found by visiting the University website at www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/interviews/ and clicking on Interview Timetable on the left hand side of the page. If you have not been contacted four days before the interviews are due, please get in touch as a matter of urgency.

Seven days?! I guess they don't really care that some people have to arrange flights and airport transfers..
Original post by Poppyxx
everyone gets the PPH email.

They just want to know if you'd consider being interviewed at one, as they aren't colleges in the same sense as the others.

thanks, i was kinda being ironic but it's nice to have it confirmed by someone who actually knows what's going on!

By the way, good luck to anyone in this thread who's sitting an entrance exam on the 2nd. I'm taking the HAT and I'm terrified!
Reply 105
I just got an email from oxford about private halls and whether i want to be considered there, anyone can give me any info about it?
Original post by blossom12
I just got an email from oxford about private halls and whether i want to be considered there, anyone can give me any info about it?

read poppy's post to me, everyone gets them.
Original post by Poppyxx
I believe it's to stop someone posing as the student...

Seems ridiculous, but it's just a precaution.

Having a teacher sign the photo means you can't do it behind their back... Obviously the teacher could be in on the plan, but that seems unlikely.

To be honest I didn't have to get them signed when I applied (2009), but maybe they've changed their policy. Or it's a specific college policy.

Okay. Thanks for replying :smile: I'll get the lady at the office to sign them when she stamps my form.
V. glad I forgot to stamp my last cover sheet or I would have sent it off early this week without knowing about all the extra details!
Original post by Elisaa
Seven days?! I guess they don't really care that some people have to arrange flights and airport transfers..

I know, luckily I'm not an international student but still would like some notice to get affordable train tickets. Also my boss isn't exactly happy that I may or may not be available for work for several days when we're busy with Christmas parties and I can't even tell her until maybe a week before.

I suppose it's the only way they can do it to meet their deadlines though, and they do have to have the college rooms free for applicants to stay over for their interviews too.
Reply 109
Original post by StacFace
I know, luckily I'm not an international student but still would like some notice to get affordable train tickets. Also my boss isn't exactly happy that I may or may not be available for work for several days when we're busy with Christmas parties and I can't even tell her until maybe a week before.

I suppose it's the only way they can do it to meet their deadlines though, and they do have to have the college rooms free for applicants to stay over for their interviews too.

Same here.. I usually work Wednesday and Friday evenings, since I'm the only one who is free those nights (if I get an interview I'll have to stay Wednesday-Friday). Haven't told my boss yet, as I'm not sure if I'll get an interview. Besides he'll have plenty of time to freak out later :tongue:
Reply 110
Original post by chinaberry
Okay. Thanks for replying :smile: I'll get the lady at the office to sign them when she stamps my form.
V. glad I forgot to stamp my last cover sheet or I would have sent it off early this week without knowing about all the extra details!

How do you know about submitting photos? Any forms t submit and do they email them to you? thanks!
*packs up belongings and moves over to new thread* HI! :smile:
The old thread was impressive. :holmes: Did we beat the Cambridge thread? :tongue:

On topic, need to do the end of my ELAT practice today but am so busy and so tired. :yawn:
Reply 113
What is everyone's progress? i applied for Mathematics....have an MAT on the 2nd Nov.
Before we start afresh, time to award some prizes from the old thread... (I've included anyone who got 50 posts)

punctuation 831

such_a_lady 736

fluteflute 631

medbh4805 606

Brand New Eyes 566

manic_fuzz 426

anyone_can_fly 346

nightmare91 337

candide 241

dnumberwang 239

Devil_in_disguise 187

Banoffeepie16 171

Niki_girl 150

Phia7 127

Eldedu 118

Doojam 105

qwertyuiop1993 104

desy.kris 95

LonelySoul193 78

KingMessi 78

Lexi C 78

AnimalSpirit 77

Groat 75

tgarrud 72

irina793 70

JMusson 65

hannahwhelan 65

MeeMee 63

dragonmeister 63

Chr0n 60

Festina lente 55

Emgrace 55

Did you know: the top ten posters made up 49% of all the posts? :tongue:
Original post by KingMessi
The old thread was impressive. :holmes: Did we beat the Cambridge thread? :tongue:
We sure did... although at 462 pages they're not so far behind... :frown:
anyone_can_fly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM46_5Yd5II

I want to search for perfect numbers!
Dave Gorman is a legend. Have you read all his books?

spectator1993
Is there a table online of what % on each course/college are invited to interview and then made an offer?
There is :smile: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0Asg7Ze9sc7PfdFlfdjdKWXdQNU1ZVElSTGRUME9kbkE&output=html

anyone_can_fly
x
Welcome back! We've missed you :frown:
Original post by fluteflute
x

I've noticed on TSR that when a thread becomes exceptionally long a new thread is created in its place and the old one is shut down... WHy ?

Was the old one closed ?
Original post by fluteflute
We sure did... although at 462 pages they're not so far behind... :frown:

Oh good. :smile: A fist-pump is in order then, I believe...
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan

Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
I've noticed on TSR that when a thread becomes exceptionally long a new thread is created in its place and the old one is shut down... WHy ?

Was the old one closed ?
I think it's because the software that TSR runs on (it's called vBulletin) doesn't cope very well with very long threads. And rather than slow down the site for everyone, we just create new threads when they get exceptionally long :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending