The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

English lit or Chemistry degree with study abroad

This is quite far off for me but I want to make sure I choose the appropriate A-levels for what I'm doing at university.

Basically, I want to get into the University of Manchester and take a year studying abroad. I don't have a career path in mind but the two most appealing degrees which offer the year abroad are English lit and Chemistry, both which I have an interest in. Which do you think would be the better option? I know Chemistry is more likely to guarantee a well-paying job in the future than lit but I'd probably enjoy doing lit a bit more.

Cheers!
Bump
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
You're on TSR. They're so obviously going to say chem.
Reply 3
You're just selecting your AS right? You can keep both of those options open:

Chemistry, Maths
Eng Lit, History

Or Chem/Physics, Eng Lit/Geography etc.
Couple of sciences and a couple of good arts/humanities and you have both bases covered.

2 excellent subjects for whichever you find you want to do. Narrowing it down fully right now isn't necessarily the best choice as a lot can change in 2 years.
Reply 4
The two subjects are so disparate that it's probably better to make up your mind a bit further down the line. But if you want to keep your options open do 2 sciences (physics if you're interested in physical chemistry/biology if you're interested in organic synthesis) + english/another humanity. Geography might help as some industry placements have a geological nature. If you're more leaning to chemistry do maths. If you're more leaning to english, do history/a language/politics.

Inb4 all the superior 16 year olds who say english isn't a real subject and sciences are the only subjects worth doing
Original post by Aeschylus
The two subjects are so disparate that it's probably better to make up your mind a bit further down the line. But if you want to keep your options open do 2 sciences (physics if you're interested in physical chemistry/biology if you're interested in organic synthesis) + english/another humanity. Geography might help as some industry placements have a geological nature. If you're more leaning to chemistry do maths. If you're more leaning to english, do history/a language/politics.

Inb4 all the superior 16 year olds who say english isn't a real subject and sciences are the only subjects worth doing

Cheers. The only thing I'm worried about is doing another humanity instead of a science and then not getting into Chemistry if I wanted to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending