The Student Room Group

Visionally impairred?

Hi there,

Is anyone in here visionally impaired? I just wanted to know how you get around reading and notetaking when it comes to reading around a subject for assignments? Any ideas?
Reply 1
Original post by Stush1
Hi there,

Is anyone in here visionally impaired? I just wanted to know how you get around reading and notetaking when it comes to reading around a subject for assignments? Any ideas?

I am not visually impaired myself, but I would just like to re-assure you that there are ways and means of doing wider reading.

If you apply for Disabled Students Allowance (which you should if you haven't already) you may receive an allowance allowing you to purchase books in large print (where available) If you can't read large print then there is text to speech software and software which allows you to scan text and it will then read that text out to you.

There are also support workers who may help if required and a number of other things. Hopefully someone will be able to offer their own personal experience but, if they don't, I just wanted to let you know that there is support available.

Have you applied for university yet? It might be worth contacting the disability service and discussing this with them (even if you're an applicant I'm sure they'll be happy to advise).
Reply 2
*visually impaired :smile:
Reply 3
Hi,

Yes I have applied for dsa. I receive my equipment next week. My uni as been qyite good and I have a non medical helper. My problem is that I have work due next week and without the aooropriate equipment I am at a standstill.

What is the nature of your disability?

Quick Reply

Latest