The Student Room Group

Limits help

I need to find this limit:
[br]limx0axbxx[br][br]\lim_{x\to 0}\dfrac{a^{x}-b^{x}}{x}[br]
where a>b>0. I got log(a)-log(b) using the power series representations of a^x (rewrote as exp(x*log(a)) ) and b^x (likewise with b^x). I then subtracting them, divided by x and found the answer. But I am wondering are there alternative ways of doing it e.g. substitution/sandwich (or pinching) method? I think it would be good to know if there are other methods as I want to see if I am missing a more elegant/cleaner solution.

NB: I actually haven't learnt the l'hopital rule in class yet so I that method is ruled out (even though of course it is still valid).
Reply 1
You don't need power series or L'Hôpital's rule for this (in fact, it wouldn't be valid to use L'Hôpital since the denominator tends to 0 but the numerator doesn't). In fact, the numerator is bounded, which should make the limit quite obvious. [Or did you mean the limit as xx \to \infty? In which case, consider the dominant term.]
Reply 2
Original post by nuodai
You don't need power series or L'Hôpital's rule for this (in fact, it wouldn't be valid to use L'Hôpital since the denominator tends to 0 but the numerator doesn't). In fact, the numerator is bounded, which should make the limit quite obvious. [Or did you mean the limit as xx \to \infty? In which case, consider the dominant term.]

wrong - numerator tends to zero, since anything to the power of 0 =1 and thus 1-1=0

the limit is Ln[a/b]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nuodai

But surely the numerator tends to 0 as does the denominator.
Reply 4
but - how CAN you get the limit? - other than L`Hops rule? - indefinite integral?
Reply 5
Original post by Hasufel
but - how CAN you get the limit? - other than L`Hops rule? - indefinite integral?

Well if you have an expansion of a^x in the form of e^(xlna), then you will find that the x on the denominator will cancel out creating a leading term

Quick Reply

Latest