The Student Room Group

Are B grades at GCSE bad? (especially when applying to Uni for competetive courses?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SparksInTheSky
Doesn't sound too bad. "Rest were A" - I guess if you're at a state school that's up to 10 As. It really depends on what you mean by competitive courses. The lack of A*s will probably be more of an issue at the very top level than the odd B or C. But all unis pay far more attention to AS grades than GCSEs, so just get it right this year and you still have a good chance. :smile:

Original post by 4 I Murder Carrots Fun
Yes, for competitive courses, they are. But they aren't the end of the world; I have a friends at top universities who had a lot of them and worse and still got in (UCL and Imperial in this case). Best counterbalanced with fantastic predictions for A2 and excellent 'cashed in' AS grades. Best of luck.

And are BTEC First Certificate/Diplomas looked at all or not?
Because I have 'the equivalent' of 6 A*s worth.

Are they counted as 6? 3? 2? 1? Nothing??
Or is it just a stupid, pointless waste of time 'qualification'..
In theory, as 6

Some Universities may take a less generous view :frown:

But they will not hold you back as long as your AS grades are good
Original post by Saif95
So where would I start with that?
Is it hard to get work experience? Where would you say are the best places to go and how would I know this is the appropriate place? And what is the minimum or average amount of time I do it for and during what time? Half terms and holidays? Don't want to affect my studies.

Well first I would go see your careers adviser and say you are interested in medicine so see what they say. I presume then they would have a list of contacts in your local area who is in the profession. They also might be in contact with some ex-students who are in medicine who might be able to give your some advice.

It is best to do the majority (as much as you can) during half term and holidays as you don't want to get behind in your studies. More work experience will not make up for poorer grades. You will be judged upon your grades most of all so make sure they are as high as you can get them.

There is no certain amount that is you get x experience you will get in. I would recommend asking your career adviser and possibly students doing medicine as to what is the best places are. Hospital and hospice voluteering shouldn't be too hard to get, I would think the only issue would be the paperwork.

Work shadowing will be more tricky. But once you have done one work placement, ask around to see if you can go back to different areas and ask to see if they have any contacts who will be interested in taking you on. It is all about getting the ball rolling.

Also non-medical experience is also counted too so don't forget about that. I'm not saying get experience at the local forum instead of the hospital. I mean voluteering at places like the old people's home will boost your CV as will stuff like charity work. Positions of responsablity are also favourable e.g. school perfect, leader of a club ect. Plus don't just look around your local area' you may need to travel further afield to get quality experiecne.

But remember to but it in context. Good grades are more important medical experience which in turn is saying more important that general experience. A student with 3 Cs and a year in a pet shop will not be better than 3 As and six months at morrisons. I don't think those two examples would get in anyway.What I am saying is they are all vital so try to get as much of all of them as you can. Try to get high grades, experience in the medical field but if you can't/ are struggling, experience that will show your caring side. Also it doesn't have to be too much - how about an hour every week at the hospice? Over two years, that will build up.

Any placement is useful if you can say what you learnt about it. There is obviously more but the places I would try first would be - GPs, hospitals, old people's/retirement homes, chemists, hospices, pharmicies, nursing homes, local NHS trusts. Do voluteering (looks great in your PS) and when you can, work shadowing to get an insite (you'll only watch, don't expect to do heart surgery for around 10 years if you chose that path). Also if you have a job and have had it for a important amount of time i.e. a year, meantion it.

It is better to voluteer a couple of hours a week for a long period of time than for say a week period though as it shows consistancy and dedication (plus you didn't panic a month before the UCAS deadline). Try and get two (more if you think you can handle it) placements and then maybe you can do an evening a week to voluteering. Then during holidays, you can do the week work shadowing placements. Just make sure your work doesn't suffer.

It is good to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. Arrange talks with people in the profession, send letters out to get placements, phone up places and ask your teachers for advise. I am sure you are not the first person in your area who wanted to go into medicine and they might have learnt some good tips. Hope this helped.
Original post by Saif95

To be honest the top universities won't consider them favourably, or even not at all. There should be information on individual university admissions pages about whether or not they accept them, but generally a more competitive application would include A-levels rather than BTECs.
Original post by Payson.Keeler.
I go to one of those schools, where if you're remotely good at a subject, you sit it at AS in year 11. My five AS's, Government & Politcs, History, French, English Language and English Literature were the five I sat. Stupid I know. :wink:
I tend to panic, come examination time, so I try to start prep as early as possible, as soon as possible.

Are you doing the A2's thIs year then? That's such an odd system but impressive :smile:
Original post by tooambitious
Are you doing the A2's thIs year then? That's such an odd system but impressive :smile:

No, I have to watch AS lessons, all over again, and prepare for A2s in my own time. It's weird.
No, I have to watch AS lessons, all over again, and prepare for A2s in my own time. It's weird.

That's really dumb of your school, so are yougoing to do the exam this year because universities don't like a levels over three years and it would be such a waste :s-smilie:
Original post by Saif95

Unfortunately the top academic universities will look less favourably on them. It's not so much a waste of time qualification; after all, it will add to your CV. But it's important to make sure you are doing GCSEs in all the main subjects.
Reply 48
But not always received. Wouldn't it be, in theory, better to receive impeccable A-levels, LNAT scores and write a brilliant Personal Statement than good GCSE scores?

The thing is that most people who eventually get in to the most competitive courses will have all of the things you mentioned (at least in comparison to the average candidate). You may get 4 A*s at A-Level, do well on the LNAT and write a very good PS, but if you got a string of As and Bs at GCSE rather than A*s and As, you'll be at a significant disadvantage, because there will be plenty of candidates getting the same A-Levels, same LNAT score and same quality of PS as you, but with GCSEs to match (e.g. 9 A*s and 2 As). Only UMS scores (which can discriminate to higher degrees) can differentiate better; the only way to get fully around the disadvantage of having bad GCSEs is with either exceptional UMS scores (sufficiently above those of the people I described above, higher by a margin great enough to seperate you from them in the examiner's eye) or with similar scores in the entrance tests. In other words, if you start with bad GCSE grades, you don't just need good A-Levels like 4 A*s; you need to take the A-Levels on and completely outweigh your opposition (you'll probably have to be well above the average of the people who actually qualify, which, for the most important courses, will be something like 4 A*s).
Some universities are very snobby about GCSE grades, although they never explicitly say that's why they rejected you. The top universities get so many applicants that they're looking for reasons to reject people, as opposed to reasons to accept them.
**** i'm screwed :/ I got a C omg fail.
NO. I mean i got 3 A*s 6 As (soon to be 7) and a C and I'm applying to Oxford. Albeit that I am redoing my C grade. You'll be fine it's not a huge deal

Edit: Oh and I have a BTEC that's worth 3 A*s.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
I have an offer from King's with 5 Bs at GCSE (and only 2A* and 4As). You'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Saif95
Got 3 B's and a C at GCSE (Rest were A)...The C was in English which im retaking soon...One B was in French which I could have got an A in if I tried harder and the other B was in Geography which could have been an A if my stupid teacher had put me in for higher tier.

well for medicine and investment banking and other very competitive careers, you would struggle
Reply 53
Original post by Saif95
Got 3 B's and a C at GCSE (Rest were A)...The C was in English which im retaking soon...One B was in French which I could have got an A in if I tried harder and the other B was in Geography which could have been an A if my stupid teacher had put me in for higher tier.

You can't get a B in Foundation Tier subjects; the best you can get is a C.
Now, I don't know what you want to do, but something along the lines of 6 As, 3 Bs and a C is not going to get you into a course at a very good university. Your only chance at this point (converting your Bs to As would be helpful, but still leave you at a massive disadvantage to, say, successful Oxbridge candidates) will be to do something with the A-Levels and admissions tests to the point that the examiners consider your performance exceptional, even when compared with the average of people who they actually accept into the course.
Original post by GameGod
You can't get a B in Foundation Tier subjects; the best you can get is a C.
Now, I don't know what you want to do, but something along the lines of 6 As, 3 Bs and a C is not going to get you into a course at a very good university. Your only chance at this point (converting your Bs to As would be helpful, but still leave you at a massive disadvantage to, say, successful Oxbridge candidates) will be to do something with the A-Levels and admissions tests to the point that the examiners consider your performance exceptional, even when compared with the average of people who they actually accept into the course.

actually you can get a B in some foundation subjects. I know you can for languages. So it is possible for Geography
Reply 55
Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad
actually you can get a B in some foundation subjects. I know you can for languages. So it is possible for Geography

I don't believe that you're correct; can you show me any pages from exam boards (e.g. specifications) indicating that you can get a grade B in a Foundation Tier paper? Here's my evidence that you can't: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/QualificationsExplained/DG_10039024. Go to "How you are assessed" and then "Grades". It says that Foundation Tier grades range from C-G.
Original post by GameGod
I don't believe that you're correct; can you show me any pages from exam boards (e.g. specifications) indicating that you can get a grade B in a Foundation Tier paper? Here's my evidence that you can't: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/QualificationsExplained/DG_10039024. Go to "How you are assessed" and then "Grades". It says that Foundation Tier grades range from C-G.

I can't find it as it may have been an old specification but in French at least if you got a high controlled assessment mark for writing and speaking but did foundation listening and speaking it was possible to get a B as one girl got full marks in one writing and one speaking and then average on the other two and sat foundation papers for listening and reading and she came out with a B.
Reply 57
the GCSEs only help you with your a-levels entry. however the maths and English GCSE are probably the only ones that help at uni.
Reply 58
Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad
I can't find it as it may have been an old specification but in French at least if you got a high controlled assessment mark for writing and speaking but did foundation listening and speaking it was possible to get a B as one girl got full marks in one writing and one speaking and then average on the other two and sat foundation papers for listening and reading and she came out with a B.

That was probably an old specification; I don't think any such methods work nowadays. In any case, Geography, and all other current exams in the last year or two, certainly do not permit for Bs in Foundation Tier subjects.
If I need something to make my application better (to compensate for my GCSEs), what would you say that would be, excluding A levels and a Personal Statement?

Quick Reply

Latest