The Student Room Group

English lan and lit or English Lit?

So quite wanted to take English Language because it sounded really interesting ... my school doesn't offer it and netiher does the school we share sixth form with ... I'd preferably stay at my school's sixth form.

But then have taken English lit and lan for GCSE
Was looking at another post asking people to state their a levels from hardest to easiest for them... a lot of people were saying English lit - is that really right?

This is all because I have decided on some subjects I'd like to a level:
History
Biology
Spanish
As they're all subjects I enjoy and 'look good' (At least I'm hoping)
Was thinking about sociology but not too sure
Not very sure about what I really want to do .... very possibly Psychology but as I said very unsure (they don't offer psychology at a level either)

If anyone has any ideas that would be great! :biggrin:
Thanks Listener 15
Reply 1
Original post by Listener15

So quite wanted to take English Language because it sounded really interesting ... my school doesn't offer it and netiher does the school we share sixth form with ... I'd preferably stay at my school's sixth form.

But then have taken English lit and lan for GCSE
Was looking at another post asking people to state their a levels from hardest to easiest for them... a lot of people were saying English lit - is that really right?

This is all because I have decided on some subjects I'd like to a level:
History
Biology
Spanish
As they're all subjects I enjoy and 'look good' (At least I'm hoping)
Was thinking about sociology but not too sure
Not very sure about what I really want to do .... very possibly Psychology but as I said very unsure (they don't offer psychology at a level either)

If anyone has any ideas that would be great! :biggrin:
Thanks Listener 15

pick the subjects you like the most, BUT eng lit looks better than lang or lang and lit. sociology doesn't look very good BUT an A in lang is better than a B in lit, this is the same with sociology as well A in this is better than a B in a more "respected subject". so pick the some you enjoy most amd think you'll do best in. also your other suubjects all look really good (hist, bio, spanish) !
(edited 12 years ago)
Pick what you enjoy, but also ensure you satisfy any subject requirements for the degree you wish to do if you know what you wish to do.

Thanks Listener 15

I'll probably just be reiterating what everyone else has said, but pick the subject you think you will do best in.

It sounds like you want to stay in the same place, so in that case I'd go with English Literature. I'd say if you're confident about History and Spanish you'll cope fairly well with English - the subjects complement each other very well.

English Literature is far more highly regarded than just English Language, Sociology and (even though I am well aware of how much work needs to be put in for a good grade) Psychology. With English Lit you'll have a really strong set of academic subjects that would put you in good stead for a variety of degree programs, too.

However, if you feel you'll do best in Psychology (I'd steer clear of Sociology at A-Level, it doesn't have a very good reputation) then it shouldn't be detrimental to your UCAS application. If you're so sure about your other three choices, I reckon those will be the ones you take on to A2, so your AS (as long as you have a good grade in it) shouldn't really matter.

Was that totally contradictory? I think it was. Sorry! :redface: Hope it's been a bit helpful though.
Reply 4
Original post by Jed123

Original post by Jed123
pick the subjects you like the most, BUT eng lit looks better than lang or lang and lit. sociology doesn't look very good BUT an A in lang is better than a B in lit, this is the same with sociology as well A in this is better than a B in a more "respected subject". so pick the some you enjoy most amd think you'll do best in. also your other suubjects all look really good (hist, gio, spanish) !

Reply 5
Original post by Legendary-A-Sonic

[QUOTE="Legendary-A-Sonic;34687097"]I'll probably just be reiterating what everyone else has said, but pick the subject you think you will do best in.

It sounds like you want to stay in the same place, so in that case I'd go with English Literature. I'd say if you're confident about History and Spanish you'll cope fairly well with English - the subjects complement each other very well.

English Literature is far more highly regarded than just English Language, Sociology and (even though I am well aware of how much work needs to be put in for a good grade) Psychology. With English Lit you'll have a really strong set of academic subjects that would put you in good stead for a variety of degree programs, too.

However, if you feel you'll do best in Psychology (I'd steer clear of Sociology at A-Level, it doesn't have a very good reputation) then it shouldn't be detrimental to your UCAS application. If you're so sure about your other three choices, I reckon those will be the ones you take on to A2, so your AS (as long as you have a good grade in it) shouldn't really matter.

Was that totally contradictory? I think it was. Sorry! :redface: Hope it's been a bit helpful though.[/QUOTE
Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest