The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for Midwifery 2012?

If you are what uni are you applying to ?
& do you have any experience?

I've spoken to some Midwifes about what its like being a midwife. Its really hard to get experience, so what do you think my chances are to study the Degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im applying for midwifery 2012, I have applied for worcester, glamorgan and uwe. Midwifery is very hard to get into most universities only have about 40 places. Luckily my friends mum is a midwife so I am gaining experience shadowing her. I suggest you ring around your local hospitals im sure they will be happy to help :smile:
Reply 2
I'm applying to Salford, Edge Hill, JMU, Manchester and UCLAN. How about you?

It's incredibly hard to get work exp in midwifery wards because of the confidentiality issues, so most Unis are fine as long as you have general hospital experience.

My main problem is my lack of scientific subjects! I have an undergrad in Law and a Masters in literature....... hmm!
Reply 3
Applying for City Uni, South bank, Greenwich, Middlesex & West London.
The royal london hospitals taking in volunteers in Jan, so hopefully *fingers crossed* I'll get a place!

Im studying biology aswell, so hoping that it should maybe boost my chance :/
Reply 4
Original post by Kejstar
If you are what uni are you applying to ?
& do you have any experience?

I've spoken to some Midwifes about what its like being a midwife. Its really hard to get experience, so what do you think my chances are to study the Degree?

Hi,
I'm already a student midwife and I've been through the whole issue of trying to get work experience. Although it is often difficult to get work experience in a maternity unit, the university don't necessarily need maternity experience, although this is great. Other good places are SureStart children's centres for their breastfeeding support, young mum's groups etc, care homes, other hospital departments and the NCT for antenatal classes. And independent midwives - they are often more willing to take students. Good luck!
Reply 5
hey!!

iv got an interview at teeside university in a week and i was wondering if you could help me out with what kinds of questions they ask me etc.. seen as youve been through it. thanks x
Reply 6
Original post by rrichards11
hey!!

iv got an interview at teeside university in a week and i was wondering if you could help me out with what kinds of questions they ask me etc.. seen as youve been through it. thanks x

good luck on your interview, teesside's my local and ive applied for midwifery there too, no interview yet but fingers crossed.

come back and tell us what questions you got asked and what happened?
Reply 7
Aww thanks, really nervous lol
have you heard from anywhere yet ?
xx
Reply 8
Aww thanks, really nervous lol
have you heard from anywhere yet ?
xx

I haven't yet no, I'm sick of waiting and it's only been 12 days since I sent ucas off, I'm really impatient haha!

You'll do fine on your interview if you just research the job and know why you want to do it, also research trends and things in the news on midwifery!

Where else have you applied for?x
Reply 9
York Leeds and cumbria. What about you?
I'm sure ul here very soon x
Reply 10
York Leeds and cumbria. What about you?
I'm sure ul here very soon x

i applied for northumbria, york, manchester, teesside and uclan

i got a phone call today off teesside saying was i free on the 11th jan, and they invited me for an interview, finally!
i also got a letter from manchester uni today saying my application didnt score highly enough for the first intake of interviews but consider me for the feb intake instead x
That's good. I didnt score high enough on the personal statement at York so I'm out :frown: disappointed xx
Reply 12
Hi!

I have applied to LJMU, Oxford Brookes, York, Kings College and Brighton. I got an interview on 2nd december for brookes and thats it so far but my top choice is York!

How is everyone else getting on?

X
Reply 13
That's good. I didnt score high enough on the personal statement at York so I'm out :frown: disappointed xx

how did you know your not in with a shout at york?x
Hi, Im applying for Midwifery at Bangor, Chester, Keele and LJMU! Did apply for chester nursing as a back up but got rejected straight away as my personal statement was based around midwifery! Has anyone heard anything yet? I sent my Ucas off in October and I've heard absolutley nothing. What exp has everyone got? xxx
Reply 15
I have and interview for oxford brookes on 2nd december and am shadowing a substance misuse doctor, sitting in on NCT classes and that it. cant speak to midwives because of pt confidentiality. xx
Original post by crombaut
I have and interview for oxford brookes on 2nd december and am shadowing a substance misuse doctor, sitting in on NCT classes and that it. cant speak to midwives because of pt confidentiality. xx

That fab I tried the NCT but there wasnt anything. Im already a health care support worker in Mental health unit with the NHS and hopefully I will be working on maternity over xmas. Also I have shadowed a community midwife and nurse practioner I am also a volunteer for a charity called homestart. So im hoping this helps! :s-smilie: I have got an interview for edge hill so im happy :smile: Just need to hear off the others! I was affraid i wouldnt get in because i havent really picked the right A levels. But I think because ive done so much extra curricular (learned sign language, peer mentoring, fund raised, paired reading) I think it has saved my bacon.

Good luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by KatyBennett1993
That fab I tried the NCT but there wasnt anything. Im already a health care support worker in Mental health unit with the NHS and hopefully I will be working on maternity over xmas. Also I have shadowed a community midwife and nurse practioner I am also a volunteer for a charity called homestart. So im hoping this helps! :s-smilie: I have got an interview for edge hill so im happy :smile: Just need to hear off the others! I was affraid i wouldnt get in because i havent really picked the right A levels. But I think because ive done so much extra curricular (learned sign language, peer mentoring, fund raised, paired reading) I think it has saved my bacon.

Good luck to everyone :smile:

ohmigawd. you've done loads! I was in the surgery this morning with the doctor so that was good, and im going to see a midwife on thursday for a bit and get shown round the unit and ask her questions so really looking forward to that! Cant wait for my OB interview..getting nervous but excited too :smile: What are the english and maths tests like? anybody have any idea? X
Oh thats a good idea. you've done some good exp too! I am thinking of asking another midwife but I feel sort of weird just going in and asking. I dont have much confidence! I havent a clue I hear that you have to write an essay on a topic they give you onthe day! So im just researching little bits every night just to broaden my knowledge! So that hopefully when the interview comes it becomes 2nd nature. Fingers crossed and good luck to you xxxxxx
Reply 19
Thank you! I am also going to speak to a midwife and be shown round the unit tomorrow! its worth asking your local unit if they might have time to do the same! not for experience, but just to be able to ask a few questions and stuff will still be really valuable. my interview is on friday so I will post what happens on here to give you all an idea :biggrin: am getting excited but a bit nervous too xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending