The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Is Reading Really a Dive? Please help me!

I haven't sent off my UCAS application yet, so there is room for some change. I'm predicted AAB, and want to apply for History. (And am expecting an A in History.)

So I'm thinking across the lines of Cardiff, Lancaster, Swansea, (for safety), possibly Sussex and Reading. The thing is, I haven't got a job yet and situations at home (divorce of parents, mother losing job) means I really can't ask for money for expensive train tickets to view open days. I'm from Cardiff, have been to Swansea and know what to expect. I'm not too worried about Lancaster, again I know what to expect, and apparently Sussex is ugly but in a good area.

Reading is my only worry, I'd like to have made it my insurance. I assumed it was generally a typical large town, the buildings seem far greater than Sussex and while Reading's no Cardiff, there's probably more going on than in Lancaster.

However.

After doing some reading, it's very obvious that it has extremely high crime rates, that it is culturally deficient, there's a lot of deprived areas and no sense of Community. I think it came up in polls as the worst place to live. :zomg: Apparently it's just full of chain shops, chain restaurants and has no character.

Is this true? Those who study at Reading; does this fit in with your perception of the place? Is it really this grim?!

What alternatives do you suggest, TSR? I'd like to steer away from the North as it's too far from home. :colondollar: I'm also not too sure about Sussex, any similar ranked alternatives?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Shouldn't you be applying to universities that are good for your actual subject rather than how likely you are to get stabbed?
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Reading is a bit of hole, it's true.
Reading is really easy. I learnt how to read when i was 4
Reply 4
Hey i went to a state comp school and its often possible for your school to pay for you to go to university open days, i know ours did.I think you have to pay upfront and then the school pays you however much back. speak to your head or student services about that.
I know you may have missed the open day but even if you apply and go to the post offer open day it will be help you to decide.
Having finished History at Reading last year, I can recommend it. The nightlife is a bit slow, and the town hasn't got a great 'character' (however you define that), but the Uni is lovely, and the course is challenging but accessible.

I would also recommend (while we're on the subject) that if you do end up there, you take all the options with Jonathan Bell and Matthew Worley- both fantastic! Dr. Bell can be a little too intelligent, but his lessons are fascinating, while Dr. Worley is just incredibly easy to chat to about anything- he doesn't come across as a lecturer (in a good way).

Good luck
Reply 6
Reading's nice. I've been here for a month, and whilst, yes, it's not the most exciting place, it has everything you need in one place, close to the uni and a bit of everything.

To be fair, I come from a tiny little village, so anything is an improvement to me.
Reply 7
Original post by facetious
Shouldn't you be applying to universities that are good for your actual subject rather than how likely you are to get stabbed?

Accidentally gave you some pos rep there. Really didn't mean to. Your comment is superfluous.

Thanks for the rest of the replies. I was hoping for some to console me and say it's not that bad. :colondollar: Oh dear.
If you book in advance it's a fiver for a ticket to reading with a railcard, so will cost you a tenner to go there for the day. Ideally, I'd say look round before you put it down. Reading is okay though, great shopping, nightlife is good, but I wouldn't walk around by myself at night, thats for sure!
Reply 9
I'm at the University of Reading, and I have to say I love it here. The parts directly around where I live and the University are lovely (lots of foilage, looks absolutely lovely at the moment) but I have seen parts further away and they reminded me of Brixton- so crap really.

It depends what part of Reading you are staying in, the same with any place. No city is going to be a fairytale with golden walkways wherever you go.
I've been to Reading a few times and I wouldn't say it's a dive but it's hardly the most happening town.

I'm at Sussex and whilst some of the buildings are hideous, most of them are nice inside and they're building some sexy new ones. All of my lectures except one are in a new one and the surrounding countryside is really pretty. Besides, it's Brighton. Brighton is awesome.
Original post by skunky x
Reading's nice. I've been here for a month, and whilst, yes, it's not the most exciting place, it has everything you need in one place, close to the uni and a bit of everything.

To be fair, I come from a tiny little village, so anything is an improvement to me.

Thanks for the reply. :smile: Yeah, that's what I liked about it, that everything seems to be accessible and easy.

Original post by secondtimearound
Having finished History at Reading last year, I can recommend it. The nightlife is a bit slow, and the town hasn't got a great 'character' (however you define that), but the Uni is lovely, and the course is challenging but accessible.

I would also recommend (while we're on the subject) that if you do end up there, you take all the options with Jonathan Bell and Matthew Worley- both fantastic! Dr. Bell can be a little too intelligent, but his lessons are fascinating, while Dr. Worley is just incredibly easy to chat to about anything- he doesn't come across as a lecturer (in a good way).

Good luck

Thanks for the advice! If I go, I'll remember those names and take it into account. :biggrin: Good to know you've had a good time and enjoyed your degree.

Original post by littlehobbit
If you book in advance it's a fiver for a ticket to reading with a railcard, so will cost you a tenner to go there for the day. Ideally, I'd say look round before you put it down. Reading is okay though, great shopping, nightlife is good, but I wouldn't walk around by myself at night, thats for sure!

Oh. Really??! How on earth did I an £80 figure floating around in my head. Haha, but I guess in any big town you'd have to be wary walking around at night on your own.

I think I need to realise that living in Reading as a student would possibly be different to living there as a professional worker in your 30s..which I think a lot of those bad reviews were aimed at.

Original post by Alarae
I'm at the University of Reading, and I have to say I love it here. The parts directly around where I live and the University are lovely (lots of foilage, looks absolutely lovely at the moment) but I have seen parts further away and they reminded me of Brixton- so crap really.

It depends what part of Reading you are staying in, the same with any place. No city is going to be a fairytale with golden walkways wherever you go.

So which first year acommodation would you recommend? :smile: Yes, I'm aware that no city will be some kind of Eden or paradise, yet when a town comes top in some polls of worst place to live, asking if the area is as bad as they say is justified. :tongue:

Original post by cardine92
I've been to Reading a few times and I wouldn't say it's a dive but it's hardly the most happening town.

I'm at Sussex and whilst some of the buildings are hideous, most of them are nice inside and they're building some sexy new ones. All of my lectures except one are in a new one and the surrounding countryside is really pretty. Besides, it's Brighton. Brighton is awesome.

Dive is a harsh word. Yeah, I'm sure If I go the lovely countryside and the awesomeness of Brighton will overcome any odd buildings. What course are you doing there?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Thanks for the reply. :smile: Yeah, that's what I liked about it, that everything seems to be accessible and easy.

Certainly a blessing for me, seeing as I usually have to drive for half an hour to get anywhere, thanks to my god awful remote village. Bleh.
I haven't sent off my UCAS application yet, so there is room for some change. I'm predicted AAB, and want to apply for History. (And am expecting an A in History.)

So I'm thinking across the lines of Cardiff, Lancaster, Swansea, (for safety), possibly Sussex and Reading. The thing is, I haven't got a job yet and situations at home (divorce of parents, mother losing job) means I really can't ask for money for expensive train tickets to view open days. I'm from Cardiff, have been to Swansea and know what to expect. I'm not too worried about Lancaster, again I know what to expect, and apparently Sussex is ugly but in a good area.

Reading is my only worry, I'd like to have made it my insurance. I assumed it was generally a typical large town, the buildings seem far greater than Sussex and while Reading's no Cardiff, there's probably more going on than in Lancaster.

However.

After doing some reading, it's very obvious that it has extremely high crime rates, that it is culturally deficient, there's a lot of deprived areas and no sense of Community. I think it came up in polls as the worst place to live. :zomg: Apparently it's just full of chain shops, chain restaurants and has no character.

Is this true? Those who study at Reading; does this fit in with your perception of the place? Is it really this grim?!

What alternatives do you suggest, TSR? I'd like to steer away from the North as it's too far from home. :colondollar: I'm also not too sure about Sussex, any similar ranked alternatives?

I can't give you the perspective of a uni student, but I have grown up here and lived here all my life.

People always say Reading is a great place to get out of. What they mean is that you can get to London in 35 minutes by train or 30 minutes to Oxford, Bournemouth beach is an hour and a half drive. And the countryside around Berkshire really is beautiful. It's a definitive plus side to living here.

It's true there is apparently a high crime rate, is it high enough to significantly impact day to day living? No. You just look out for your personal and property's safety as you really should do anywhere.

Granted it is correct there are quite a few chain stores and restuarants. But on a uni budget I'm not sure you should be shopping in boutiques anyway :tongue: It does lead to comments that it is becoming a "clone town"- but on the plus side at least you can get everything you need. And there are some independent and quirkier places, you just have to be in the know.

Clubbing wise it's not that bad actually. The clubs are mainly grouped together on two different streets. There's Revs, Yates's, Purple Turtle, Sakura, Rewind, Lola Lo's, Cape, Dogma, Sugar lounge (strip/pole bar), the Granby(gay) to name a few. It's similarly expensive to clubbing in other Southern towns.

Culturally deficient? Not sure what cultural activities you'd like but I've rarely been short of a gig to go to or a show to see at the theatre. And if there's nothing in Reading hop on a train to London or Oxford (likewise if you want a museum). Reading's a pretty multicultural place now and you see evidence of it throughout the town. There are a few "deprived areas" I suppose. Are we talking about the council estates of Manchester or Peckham? Absolutely not.

It's by no means the best place in the world, but for a young person I think it's a pretty decent place to live.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
So which first year acommodation would you recommend? Yes, I'm aware that no city will be some kind of Eden or paradise, yet when a town comes top in some polls of worst place to live, asking if the area is as bad as they say is justified.

Typically you can break down the Uni accomodation to these;

If you can afford it, why the hell not accomodation; MacKinder and Stenton.

Middlish accomodation with ensuite; Sherfield/Benyon Hall (I'm in Benyon- the rooms are nice, lots of storage. Shower and toilet are combined to a wet room though).

Middlish accomodation for those who don't want to/can't cook (i.e. catered) St. Patricks. (£45 extra per week for catered, you get £60 on a campus card per week for your use on food in the food halls and the on-campus coffee bars/shops)

Cheap accomodation, communal bathrooms (can get a wash basin in room for extra); Wessex.

You really don't want to stay here halls unless you want a serious trek/love hiking to lectures every day; Sibly/Bulmershe.

That's all I can think of the top of my head. MacKinder is actually going under work at the moment as they are extending it to contain more flats, which means an 8am wake up to building works every day except Sunday. I think this is meant to be finished by Oct 2012 though.
It's not that bad at all to be honest. There are many many worse places in the country, and plenty close to Reading. If you like the course then apply, if you don't then don't.
Original post by paddy__power
It's not that bad at all to be honest. There are many many worse places in the country, and plenty close to Reading. If you like the course then apply, if you don't then don't.

Spoken like a true Bass. And you have a good taste in poetry. And music.

I think I'm going to apply, thanks everyone for replying!

Original post by Emilunatrix
Well I went on the open day a couple of weeks ago, and I totally adored it! It seems to have a very nice community feel, for a University :smile: can't say I know much about the town, but it seemed quite nice to me :smile: don't let the overexaggerating British media put you off!
Hope this helps :smile:

No you're very right, I'm going to apply despite my concers. When I read the prospectus a while ago, I feel in love with it and I've thought of it ever since. This morning I came across some bad press and I panicked a bit. I'm one for making spontaneous decisions but this is such an important one I feel I need to be thorough. :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Well I went on the open day a couple of weeks ago, and I totally adored it! It seems to have a very nice community feel, for a University :smile: can't say I know much about the town, but it seemed quite nice to me :smile: don't let the overexaggerating British media put you off!
Hope this helps :smile:
Spoken like a true Bass. And you have a good taste in poetry. And music.

I think I'm going to apply, thanks everyone for replying!

No you're very right, I'm going to apply despite my concers. When I read the prospectus a while ago, I feel in love with it and I've thought of it ever since. This morning I came across some bad press and I panicked a bit. I'm one for making spontaneous decisions but this is such an important one I feel I need to be thorough. :colondollar:

Many thanks :smile:

If you ever want to discuss either feel free to message me :tongue:
Speaking as a Londoner it's really not so bad. Plus you're in close proximity to The Capital so it's not as if you're on the Shetland Isles of civilisation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending