The Student Room Group

Genital warts :(

my ex has given me genital warts. I am horrified, i've never had an STI before, I always use condoms too- feel absolutely terrible!

i have to go to the GUM clinic on wednesday to get treatment and a full STD test.
my question is - anyone who has had genital warts, how effective was the treatment? and what treatment did you have?
Original post by madeline06
my ex has given me genital warts. I am horrified, i've never had an STI before, I always use condoms too- feel absolutely terrible!

i have to go to the GUM clinic on wednesday to get treatment and a full STD test.
my question is - anyone who has had genital warts, how effective was the treatment? and what treatment did you have?

you should probably tell him he's got it, sometimes they're so small they're a bit unnoticeable.

I had it before, I think I picked it up from some guy when travelling. But it's really not so bad, you'll have a freezing treatment, they'll check your cervix to check it's all healthy, and check you for other STI's. Don't shave or anything so you don't spread the infection and don't touch them at all.
You'll have a follow up the week later, and if they're mostly gone they'll give you a wart cream to apply yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
you should probably tell him he's got it, sometimes they're so small they're a bit unnoticeable.

I had it before, I think I picked it up from some guy when travelling. But it's really not so bad, you'll have a freezing treatment, they'll check your cervix to check it's all healthy, and check you for other STI's. Don't shave or anything so you don't spread the infection and don't touch them at all.
You'll have a follow up the week later, and if they're mostly gone they'll give you a wart cream to apply yourself.

yea i told him straight away, he has no warts therefore he is a carrier. lucky. even though my warts are practically the size of a full stop, i still hate them :frown: and am worried they will take ages to go away!

there's something on my cervix that isn't a wart which means further tests. to be honest now i've found that out i don't think the warts are as much of an issue as i did before, when i first found out it was the end of the world.. but now i'm trying to stay positive because it's likely i have high risk HPV as well and in that case i have to stay positive to get better. sucks!

i had them frozen, and now ive got cream to use for 4 weeks, then back to the clinic again to see if they're cleared/get remaining warts frozen again.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

by the way, how long did yours take to go away and did they come back at all?
i am hoping because the size of mine is tiny, that they will go away easily and won't come back. fingers crossed. i just know it's common for a recurrence
yea i told him straight away, he has no warts therefore he is a carrier. lucky. even though my warts are practically the size of a full stop, i still hate them :frown: and am worried they will take ages to go away!

there's something on my cervix that isn't a wart which means further tests. to be honest now i've found that out i don't think the warts are as much of an issue as i did before, when i first found out it was the end of the world.. but now i'm trying to stay positive because it's likely i have high risk HPV as well and in that case i have to stay positive to get better. sucks!

i had them frozen, and now ive got cream to use for 4 weeks, then back to the clinic again to see if they're cleared/get remaining warts frozen again.

Condoms dont stop genital warts as they're around the crotch area.

Oh and dont apply the crea to all of the crotch area. Just the warts themselves.

Its easy to feel horrible about this but they are incredibly easily transmitted and a very high percentage of women have the virus lying dormant in them, hence all the vaccines.

Dont worry too much, theyre quite manageable. Also theyre more painful to treat in men so your ex will most likely suffer too

Quick Reply

Latest