The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
_EMMA_
what is the definitaion of a newbie?
number of posts, the time he/she has been a member or is it their attitude?

I think its there attitude but mainly there post count...i aint sure....ask CurryAdD
Reply 2
I'd say its definetly attitude. Somebody could have been lurking here for a long time but only have made one or two posts, all of which were of an intelligent, helpful nature where as another member could have a post count of 1000+ posting to threads such as 'wats ur favourite cheese'. That thread doesn't exist by the way, just in case any of you are wondering...but its only a matter of time :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Pegasus
I'd say its definetly attitude. Somebody could have been lurking here for a long time but only have made one or two posts, all of which were of an intelligent, helpful nature where as another member could have a post count of 1000+ posting to threads such as 'wats ur favourite cheese'. That thread doesn't exist by the way, just in case any of you are wondering...but its only a matter of time :rolleyes:

I like your definition very much :smile:
Reply 4
Pegasus

yeah, id agree with attitude
Reply 5
Pegasus

Totally agree, theres some 1000 posters who I consider as newbs. Whilst some I consider as "regulars" even though thay may have about 500 post count.
It has to be attitude.

A newbie is defined by their attitude and behaviour, I reckon.

For example, you can have a really charming person with under 100 posts, and you can also have a person with over 1000 posts who triple posts and makes posts like this: 'omg ur gay lol' etc.
Reply 7
I have a low post count, and my account is not particularly old becaause for ages I just didn't bother to register. Mainly I just lurk on the site.

I guess 'newbieness' is mainly in attitude, and generally I associate it with immaturity, which is evident in the posts of some people who would probably like to think of themselves as 'oldies'.

Life is transient. This is just an internet forum. New people will find it and begin to post, old registered users will find thier time more and more occupied by other things.

Too much cliqueyness is never good. Embrace all and share the love, otherwise the forum will die.

(side note: woooo 150 posts :tongue:)
Reply 8
_EMMA_
what is the definition of a newbie?

A newbie is an individual who's account was created in the current era (so, a newbie, at the moment, would be anyone who signed up after 1/1).
Reply 9
Mr White
A newbie is an individual who's account was created in the current era (so, a newbie, at the moment, would be anyone who signed up after 1/1).

I don't mind being called a 'newbie'
It can be a postive thing. :smile: or at least i'll make it be so.
An example of an oldbie newbie on another forum:
Captain Will (me) on the Ambrosia forums.
I signed up in 2000 and I have yet to post 200 times.
Reply 11
Will
An example of an oldbie newbie on another forum:
Captain Will (me) on the Ambrosia forums.
I signed up in 2000 and I have yet to post 200 times.

I'm sorry, but that's blasphemy. Speak not of the other forums, lest ye be cast from this place.
Reply 12
I heard it was just because he's a really slow typer anyway.
Gimp
I heard it was just because he's a really slow typer anyway.

lol
Reply 14
It's not totally on postcount, after all, many people who have really high post counts are still relative newbies (ok they are growing outof that now). But the time they have been around does indicate whether or not they are newbies.
Reply 15
I think that it is a count of quality posts which would show a good attitude.
_EMMA_
what is the definition of a newbie?

Things are different now. We've got a 'new batch' of people and the 'old batch' seem to have gone.
Reply 17
me
Reply 18
Will
It has to be attitude.

A newbie is defined by their attitude and behaviour, I reckon.

For example, you can have a really charming person with under 100 posts, and you can also have a person with over 1000 posts who triple posts and makes posts like this: 'omg ur gay lol' etc.

like a certain sum1 with 29 posts u mean? :tongue:
Reply 19
I thing you are a newbie whilts the 'new member' title is still under your name

Latest

Trending

Trending