The Student Room Group

CV Help!

I'm not sure if there is already a forum on this......i've had a look and couldn't find it. Basically it's a quick question........i'm writing a CV for some summer experience at some firms (finance-related) and was wondering how many referees i should put down. I'd be particularly interested to hear from those who have applied for any internships and what they think. Thanks!
Reply 1
I generally leave referees details off my CV - you could put "references available on request" or something like that. That way if/when they want to contact referees, they can ask you for however many they need :smile:
Jenn xx
Reply 2
I generally put two referrees on my CV. Its stops them having to ring you if they need them, but again a phonecall could show you they're at least considering you.
I'd look at the site, see if they have any sample cvs for you to look at and just follow them. There'd be nothing worse than not getting the job because you left it off (and it blatently told you include them).
Reply 3
Normally its two references. If you are still in education, or just left then one of them would normally be your tutor, or similar. The other wants to be your employer if you are working, or someone else you knows you well, for quite along time.
Yeah, for students they expect one academic tutor and one ex-boss/work-related.

Note that these days, for most jobs they only ask for references after you've received an offer, your contract being conditional upon receiving two "satisfactory" references, and thus having a glowing reference may not be that influential.
Chassez
Yeah, for students they expect one academic tutor and one ex-boss/work-related.

Note that these days, for most jobs they only ask for references after you've received an offer, your contract being conditional upon receiving two "satisfactory" references, and thus having a glowing reference may not be that influential.

To expand upon this, the minimum for a full pre-employment screen will depend upon 2 satisfactory references from HR and either the named line manager or alternative line manager of the company.

This goes back as far as the company specifies. Academic references are just focused on the results. Personal references are complicated. And I have no desire, nor probably quite yet the legal position to, paraphrase 'the manual'.

You can smackdown references available on request. But you will get asked for them. Bear in mind, about 12% of CVs/application forms to finance jobs contain "serious" discrepancies and about 1.5% of all offers will get terminated as a result of a pre-employment screen.

Latest

Trending

Trending