The Student Room Group

Politics/IR/Government Applicant Stalking Page 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by berryripple
What kind of work experience have you guys done for international relations? It's tricky to find something specific enough. I'm considering applying to St. Andrews for 2013 entry.

I'm doing a day with my MP soon, but that's not really relevant for international relations as much as politics itself.

I'm a first year doing IR and I've not done any work experience that is specifically related to IR, and I got 10 offers over 2 years.
Reply 181
Original post by berryripple
How do you go about doing something like that? I'm fluent in German so something like that would be a good option for me.

I'll just PM you haha :smile:
Another question for IR people, but I was wondering how intense the course is? Like, I expect you're in uni every day, but how long for and when you get home are you like this guy -> :work: ?
Reply 183
Grades - ABB. Predictions: A*AA

Loughborough - International Relations - Unconditional
Birmingham - International Relations & Russian Studies - Unconditional
Leeds - International Relations - Conditional - AAB
Sheffield - International Relations & Politics -Conditional - AAB
King's College London - STILL HAVEN'T HEARD :frown:
Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!
Another question for IR people, but I was wondering how intense the course is? Like, I expect you're in uni every day, but how long for and when you get home are you like this guy -> :work: ?

You should get a day off with a course like IR, which is helpful when it comes to essay deadline time. I'm a first year at UEA and I had 8-9 hours a week last semester spread over 4 days- some days I was in for one hour, others 3. This semester I have slightly more- 10 1/2, I still have a day off though and Monday, Thursday and Friday I have at least 3 hours. In case your wondering, the low contact time is the norm for a humanities student and it's a godsend at deadline time. Other than at deadline time its not been particularly intense so far.
Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!

I only get six hours of contact time a week.
That being said, each term this year (second year) I have 4 x 2,500 essays (coursework) and 2 exams.
It's not a lot, but you're *expected* to read a lot each week, and I tend to spend weeks slaving over each essay (although not that many do it must be said).
I also have two part time jobs...
Original post by jelly1000
-

Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
-

That's wonderful, thanks for your responses ladies :smile:
Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
I only get six hours of contact time a week.
That being said, each term this year (second year) I have 4 x 2,500 essays (coursework) and 2 exams.
It's not a lot, but you're *expected* to read a lot each week, and I tend to spend weeks slaving over each essay (although not that many do it must be said).
I also have two part time jobs...

wow thats not a lot at all- i thought second year would be way more work- last semester (my first of first year) i had 6 essays, although most were slightly shorter (1 x 1,800, 4x2000, 1x2500)
Reply 188
Durham- IR - Conditional AAA
Reply 189
Unsuccessful for IR + History at LSE.
Original post by perlsh
Unsuccessful for IR + History at LSE.

Im sorry :frown: do you mind if I ask what your grades were? Im applying for IR at st andrews
Reply 191
Update: Got an offer from Durham for IR :biggrin: so happy!
Reply 192
Original post by maxcartwright
Im sorry :frown: do you mind if I ask what your grades were? Im applying for IR at st andrews

Aw thanks, tbh I'm not really heartbroken over it. Maybe because I at least got into city london :P I actually applied to st. andrews too! Let's hope it'll work out for us :smile:

I'm from Austria, so I don't know if my grades would help you, but I had a 1.0 average in my final exams with all my four subjects being 1's (the highest grade). I had a 8.0 average in the IELTS exam. I don't think my personal statement was particularly strong though. And I already started first year in Vienna so I don't know if that influences anything.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 193
Update: Rejection for Politics at Newcastle
Offer for Politics at Leeds
Reply 194
Original post by quid
Update: Rejection for Politics at Newcastle
Offer for Politics at Leeds

Got an offer from Leeds for Politics too might see you there :smile:
Reply 195
Original post by Aurora23
Update: Got an offer from Durham for IR :biggrin: so happy!

Congrats! Still waiting to hear from them. Do you mind telling me what your grades were like?
Reply 196
Unconditional offer from st. andrews :biggrin:
Reply 197
Anyone else waiting on Kings? They're seriously winding me up with the 'We're currently considering your application carefully' message...
Reply 198
Original post by AM182
Anyone else waiting on Kings? They're seriously winding me up with the 'We're currently considering your application carefully' message...

Likewise! They are really taking their time aren't they?! :mad:
rejection from st andrews :frown:

so now i've got

Durham - IR
Exeter - IR
Sheffield - IR and Security Studies
KCL - War Studies

its between durham and kcl right now, love the location of durham, but kcl has the PERFECT course for me :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending