The Student Room Group

Politics/IR/Government Applicant Stalking Page 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
I have the following offers
LSE - Government- AAA
Warwick - Politics and International Studies - AABb
Sheffield - Politics and International Relations - AAB (including General Studies)
Nottingham - Politics
Newcastle - Politics

I have decided I don't want to do just pure Politics, so am declining Nottingham and Newcastle.
I am going to firm LSE, but I'm not sure about my insurance.

I have looked around Uni of Sheffield, was really impressed. Loved the course, the environment, the city etc. It offered me everything I wanted. And I'm not so sure about Warwick. The department of PAIS is meant to be very highly regarded and the course looks great, I'm just not so keen on the campus/out-of-town university. And the nearest town Coventry I've been too, and without offending any Coventrians, let's just say I'd rather live in Sheffield.

The other thing is I understand that Warwick will be looked upon more highly by employers etc. Is this true? Or would there be little difference.

My natural feeling is to insure Sheffield but my head is saying Warwick is the better uni!

HELP/ADVICE PLEASE!!! :smile:

(I HAVENT LOOKED AROUND THE WARWICK UNI YET)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Paggers
I have the following offers
LSE - Government- AAA
Warwick - Politics and International Studies - AABb
Sheffield - Politics and International Relations - AAB (including General Studies)
Nottingham - Politics
Newcastle - Politics

I have decided I don't want to do just pure Politics, so am declining Nottingham and Newcastle.
I am going to firm LSE, but I'm not sure about my insurance.

I have looked around Uni of Sheffield, was really impressed. Loved the course, the environment, the city etc. It offered me everything I wanted. And I'm not so sure about Warwick. The department of PAIS is meant to be very highly regarded and the course looks great, I'm just not so keen on the campus/out-of-town university. And the nearest town Coventry I've been too, and without offending any Coventrians, let's just say I'd rather live in Sheffield.

The other thing is I understand that Warwick will be looked upon more highly by employers etc. Is this true? Or would there be little difference.

My natural feeling is to insure Sheffield but my head is saying Warwick is the better uni!

HELP/ADVICE PLEASE!!! :smile:

(I HAVENT LOOKED AROUND THE WARWICK UNI YET)

Warwick is more highly regarded than Sheffield, probably in the same way that LSE is probably more highly regarded than Warwick. I.e for the vast majority of jobs it won't really matter, but there is a distinction between the two and for the very top jobs it may matter. Warwick is a top ten university, and Sheffield is probably lurking around the outskirts of the top 20, so there is a difference. If you prefer Sheffield, insure it, but the general consensus would be that Warwick is more 'prestigious' and generally more reputable across the board. If you prefer the Sheffield course and enviroment, then I don't really see your dilemma.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 242
Original post by Tsunami2011
Warwick is more highly regarded than Sheffield, probably in the same way that LSE is probably more highly regarded than Warwick. I.e for the vast majority of jobs it won't really matter, but there is a distinction between the two and for the very top jobs it may matter. Warwick is a top ten university, and Sheffield is probably lurking around the outskirts of the top 20, so there is a difference. If you prefer Sheffield, insure it, but the general consensus would be that Warwick is more 'prestigious' and generally more reputable across the board. If you prefer the Sheffield course and enviroment, then I don't really see your dilemma.

Can't contribute much on which uni is regarded higher. I do have to add though that Sheffield has excellent staff such as Colin Hay. I coul imaginr that being a selling point if one would like a career in research/academia.
Reply 243
Hey guys,

Got the following offers by now:

Westminster: International Relations and Democratic Politics
Warwick: International Political Economy
Sussex: Global Political Economy
Leeds: Politics & Political Theory

I would like to ask you, in terms of reputation, career prospects, student life etc. what would you recommend?

Thank you
Original post by armandotx
Hey guys,

Got the following offers by now:

Westminster: International Relations and Democratic Politics
Warwick: International Political Economy
Sussex: Global Political Economy
Leeds: Politics & Political Theory

I would like to ask you, in terms of reputation, career prospects, student life etc. what would you recommend?

Thank you

I take it these are MAs?

If you care about "traditional prestige":
Warwick > Leeds > Sussex > Westminster.

Although I'd recommend looking at the modules as they seem like quite different courses. If IPE/GPE is what you're more interested in then then judging by the names alone, Westminster and Leeds look broader, but it depends on your interests whether that's a good thing or not.

Can't comment on student life and career prospects, although for the latter Warwick & Leeds are Russells and that can make a difference in some cases, as some grad schemes prefer those.
Reply 245
You should consider Aberystwyth University also if that is still an option. It is the oldest and largest department of its kind. If you are interested in IR Aberystwyth, LSE, St. Andrews and Oxford are the very best.

Aberystwyth has slightly lower entry standards, however there are lots of scholarships on offer, (which are easier to get than you might think.) I myself decided to go there after being offered a scholarship for undergrad.

Aberystwyth= worth a consideration, if you havent already.
Reply 246
Oh yeh got rejections from St Andrews and Cambridge

Offers:
LSE for IR, AAA (firm) but it's unlikely I'll get the grades
Warwick for Politics but then I asked to change it to Politics and International Studies AABb (insurance) it is more likely I'll go heree
Attending Brunel - BBB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending