The Student Room Group

How much do extracurricular activities matter when applying to university?

I'm in fourth year at the moment and I do a couple of extra curricular activities, but not too many. I'm kind of worried however, because I was told by a teacher that I need to start doing more, because it's important when applying to university? How much do they matter?
Reply 1
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I'm in fourth year at the moment and I do a couple of extra curricular activities, but not too many. I'm kind of worried however, because I was told by a teacher that I need to start doing more, because it's important when applying to university? How much do they matter?

I don't think they really matter much at all unless they are relevant to your course or are particularly outstanding.
Universities in the UK tend to place far less emphasis on them than institutions in the US.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/7965715/Universities-uninterested-in-pupils-extra-curricular-activities.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
School/college appointed 'experts' on university applications often give duff advice. Inane personal statements are a favourite of theirs too.
Too be honest, they matter very little, if you've got the grades in your highers, most courses will give you an instant unconditional and glance over your personal statement. You shouldn't waste your time doing extra-curricular activities in fourth year solely for your personal statement, just focus on your exams and do extra-curricular activities that you enjoy.
Reply 4
Your statement is supposed to be something like 2/3 academic interest in the subject, 1/3 about yourself and extra curricular activities, ergo, they don't matter too much unless they are relevent to your subject.

Don't listen to your teachers. My teacher told me unless I was more of an 'all-rounder' I would get rejected. I've learned otherwise from successful applicants :smile:
Secret - we teachers sometimes tell you this to get you to do something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending