The Student Room Group

Common Misconceptions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fusion
Football Italia on C4 used a very prominent phrase that sounded like 'Goal Lazio', in fact it was 'Golaccio' which translatesd as goaltastic, nothing to do with Lazio the club.

Thanks for explaining this. I used to hear it in the background on TV when my son used to watch it, and wonder. We both assumed it was Lazio, I think, which was a reasonable assumption on his part and positively miraculous on mine, since I still don't even know how many members there are on a football team.
Original post by Fusion
Football Italia on C4 used a very prominent phrase that sounded like 'Goal Lazio', in fact it was 'Golaccio' which translatesd as goaltastic, nothing to do with Lazio the club.

=o Omg I asked my Dad about that and he said it was because Lazio was the best team. That bastard.
Original post by Lily Academia
Mhmm, and people do have to admit that it does look like more of a cloak...

Yes, it's like an embarrassed Dracula.
Original post by Vohamanah
=o Omg I asked my Dad about that and he said it was because Lazio was the best team. That bastard.

I guess we all need to brush up on our Italian.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
When people say 'it's a whole different kettle of fish', kettle is collective term for fish and not the appliance you use to make tea. :redface:

never heard of a 'fish kettle' then ? an item of kitchenware used for poaching whole fish ?

http://www.fishkettle.co.uk/

collective noun for fish is school/ shoal , there are other collective nouns referring to different types of fish , but i can't find a reference to 'a kettle of fish' as a collective noun.
When I was younger I believed 'stoppage time' at the end of each half in a football match was actually 'Scottish time'. Also, I believed that the minute hand on a clock would only move when my eyes were closed. How could my Mum tell me something like that and watch me straining my eyes trying not to blink?
My little sister used to think that "bruise" was the plural...so when she fell over, she got a bru.

She did the same thing with fox, box etc.
Reply 187
there / their
Original post by carnationlilyrose
On a week like this one, it can certainly seem that way....

We make no effort to discourage the belief widely held amongst years 7 & 8 that there is a jacuzzi in our staff room.

Is there like an endless supply of cakes there... teachers always seem to be eating them

AND THE TEA! always drinking the tea

ahh i miss the days when those were my main worries
Original post by ViennaWaits
My little sister used to think that "bruise" was the plural...so when she fell over, she got a bru.

She did the same thing with fox, box etc.

That's very cute, and also a good example for anyone who is studying the child language acquisition part of the English language A level to use.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Is there like an endless supply of cakes there... teachers always seem to be eating them

I have to say that my school is rather built around a culture of food. Not many of us drink tea, though. Coffee is definitely prefered.
Original post by Sprockette
I used to think in that No Doubt song, Don't Speak the words were 'Don't tell the customers' instead of 'Don't tell me cause it hurts'. I had the same thoughts as you, that just makes no sense and kind of thought I was a little superior because I saw the flaw :tongue:

I always thought that Vengaboys were singing "we're going to eat pizza" in their song "we're going to Ibiza". It made perfect sense to a 8 year old who did find it quite exciting to go out to eat pizza...
Reply 192
I used to think full name for rhino was rhinosaur, a bit like dinosaur

but at about 14 I realize it's actually rhinoceros :frown:
Original post by chickenonsteroids

When I did my first day as a not-student at a school, I was sooo scared of going into the staff room, because it was The Staff Room. It used to be so cool to go in there. And then they told us there was free tea and coffee and to take a biscuit :biggrin: Happy days.

On topic: Recently found out that an operating system was actually just a programme, not some special other Thing. I do not understand computers.
When i was younger i used to think RE was something you were taught up to GCSE and then they told you it was all a load of codswallop and just used to fill up spare time in your school days - pretty stupid i know..
Original post by harrybithell196
When i was younger i used to think RE was something you were taught up to GCSE and then they told you it was all a load of codswallop and just used to fill up spare time in your school days - pretty stupid i know..

the way it should be
Reply 196
Awkward moment when your friend thinks Africa is a country
Reply 197
Original post by KattKaerringen
I always thought that Vengaboys were singing "we're going to eat pizza" in their song "we're going to Ibiza". It made perfect sense to a 8 year old who did find it quite exciting to go out to eat pizza...

Come to think of it, it's quite a perfect fit. All is forgiven. :tongue:
I used to think the letter "O" was the main letter of the alphabet. As if the rest of the letters were second class letters and O was the main man. I still don't understand why. I think it had something to do with that alphabet land programme they used to show us.
A couple of months ago I got my head around the concept of 'you can't have you cake and eat it' when I saw it written as 'you can't eat your cake and have it' instead.

Quick Reply

Latest