The Student Room Group

Common Misconceptions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Benelux is the first letters of the respective countries in the region - never made the connection until I heard it today.
I thought of another one today - I always used to think 7up was called Zup. I don't know why, the font on the bottle is quite clear. I guess as a kid I didn't expect to see a number in a word so assumed it was a Z instead and I never questioned it until I was an adult.
Original post by Vohamanah
I thought of another one today - I always used to think 7up was called Zup. I don't know why, the font on the bottle is quite clear. I guess as a kid I didn't expect to see a number in a word so assumed it was a Z instead and I never questioned it until I was an adult.

I used to think this too, until Year 6 when another girl had a 7up pencil sharpener and I asked if I could borrow it. Everyone laughed when I said 'can I borrow your Zup sharpener please?' :redface:
I used to listen to football matches on the radio as a kid, and whenever the commentator mentioned the amount of Stoppage time there would be at the end of each half, i thought he was saying "Scottish time".

:facepalm:
This thread is a great way to geek out if you're a linguist doing phonetics and phonology :p: So many classic childhood language errors :biggrin:

Mine's a bit weird though...I thought the Eddy Grant song "Electric Avenue" went "We're gonna rock down to eelay, shee kai re noo" which means I just interpreted actual words as nonsense I guess xD Although I did think the song "Rasputin" Went "Ra ra wash machine, lover of the washing queen" so I guess I'm not totally weird :p:
(edited 11 years ago)
I think I was at least 12 before I realised that it's spaghetti bolognese and not spaghetti balls-an'-eyes. Awkward...
When I was little, I used to think "yellow" was pronounced "lellow". I even remember having an argument with someone else when I was in reception or Year 1 about it.

The funny thing is, I'd go home and say to my mum, "it's pronounced 'lellow', right?" and she'd agree that yes, it was. It took me a long time to realise that due to her being deaf, she has difficulty in pronouncing 'y' sounds and so she, too, was pronouncing the word incorrectly, through no fault of her own.

I laugh at it now, but it was very confusing as a child, haha.
I'll save everyone a bit of time and and direct everyone to the Wikipedia page:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_misconceptions
Recent conversation between a friend and I. I know for a fact this will blow at least a few minds:

Friend: "That guy's like Sammity Sam!"

Me: "Who?"

Friend: "You know, Sammity Sam; the character with the guns and red beard from the Looney Tunes cartoons."

Me: "Oh, you mean Yosemite Sam? The name comes from the national park in the US."

Cue my friend looking at me as if I just called him a retard. Haha.

Original post by AtomSmasher
I'll save everyone a bit of time and and direct everyone to the Wikipedia page:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_misconceptions

I read through that entire list, and don't remember seeing a single one of those 'common misconceptions' in this entire thread. Nor is Wikipedia a reliable source for anything. Additionally, your non-contributory post in this thread has just won you a big fat neg.

Congratulations.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 669
I remember when I was a nipper, when my GameBoy Colour's power light started flickering and inevitably died, I thought the GB itself had something wrong with it, as a kid I was so upset ! especially as it shut down when I was playing Pokemon xD
Reply 670
As a young'un I used to sing along very loudly to my sisters Bon Jovi CD, "oh, we have no hair, ooh oh, living on a planet"...:colondollar:
Original post by tresjolie
As a young'un I used to sing along very loudly to my sisters Bon Jovi CD, "oh, we have no hair, ooh oh, living on a planet"...:colondollar:

Freudian slip, perhaps? :ahee:

The world would have been/would be? an infinitely better place if Bon Jovi and his misdoing ilk both a) didn't have any hair, and b) weren't on our planet, thus rendering their plan to kill us by cochleaic agony completely futile.
Original post by Vohamanah

Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
I used to think this too, until Year 6 when another girl had a 7up pencil sharpener and I asked if I could borrow it. Everyone laughed when I said 'can I borrow your Zup sharpener please?' :redface:

I thought that too :facepalm:

But I always saw the red dot thing as being the extension that would, in fact, make the 7 into a Z. And that makes TOTAL sense :yep:
When I was really young, I thought that the world was completely black in white in the past because photographs and movies had no colour. As in, everybody was colourblind.

Also, until fairly recently, I would pronounce the "burgh" in Pittsburgh as you would say it in Edinburgh. I was shocked when I heard people saying "Pitts-berg". :facepalm:
Original post by philistine
I read through that entire list, and don't remember seeing a single one of those 'common misconceptions' in this entire thread. Nor is Wikipedia a reliable source for anything. Additionally, your non-contributory post in this thread has just won you a big fat neg.

Congratulations.

Somone's in a bad mood.

Actually, Wikipedia is a very reliable source a lot of the time and if you look at that article you'll see that virtually every piece of information has academic citations. Are you questioning their validity?
Non-contributory? The thread is about common misconceptions and I doubt you'll find more on a single page than on that article. There really is no need to be such an arse.
that my penis is tiny
Somone's in a bad mood.

Actually, Wikipedia is a very reliable source a lot of the time and if you look at that article you'll see that virtually every piece of information has academic citations. Are you questioning their validity?
Non-contributory? The thread is about common misconceptions and I doubt you'll find more on a single page than on that article. There really is no need to be such an arse.

I'm in the zenith of joy, actually.

Good luck with your nihilartikel goals of 2012.
I used to think my name was written Ethqan (Its Ethan.) until I was about 6. Everyone told me otherwise but I would have none of it!

Up until the age of about 11, I thought quarter to the hour was at 46 minutes past. I knew quarter past was 15, half past 30. But nope, quarter to was 46!
I even remember crying about it when my mum said otherwise.

Ain't no one telling me quarter to is at 45. AIN'T NO ONE!
Original post by philistine
I'm in the zenith of joy, actually.

Good luck with your nihilartikel goals of 2012.

I can't quite tell if you're joking, being stupid on purpose, or just being stupid.
I can't quite tell if you're joking, being stupid on purpose, or just being stupid.

Toasting in a roll bread.

Quick Reply

Latest