The Student Room Group

Common Misconceptions

Scroll to see replies

No way, Jose

At the age of 6 I thought it was 'ho-say', presumed it was foreign (probably Spanish) for no, and proceeded to use it in sentences up until I was about 14 :yy:

'Do you fancy so-and-so?'
'Hooo-saaaaaay!'
I keep thinking Rizzle Kicks' song is get down with the chocolates, not trumpets :/
I have just this moment in my life realised that it's 'Tesco' not 'Tescos'.

Feeling a bit thick...
My mind has just been absolutely blown apart. I was on a musical terminology website page, defining a few Italian terms, and happened upon the word 'segue'.

Now, I know how the word is used, both in and out of the musical context, and that was all fine. Next to it, however, there was a phonetic guide on how to pronounce it. It turns out it's not pronounced 'seg', just like all other -gue words, but 'seg-way'.

I originally thought the term was 'segue way', but it's actually just 'segue'!

Mind = destroyed
Until today, I thought the song "Don't worry, be happy" was sung by Bob Marley.

It's actually Bobby McFerrin.
I thought primadonna was pre-Madonna referring to some kind of era before Madonna...
Reply 746
Original post by U.S Lecce
You have to watch this!

Watch it from 1:10 onwards.

Wow, really sounds like Peter Griffin and Bryan...
Original post by LeaX
I thought primadonna was pre-Madonna referring to some kind of era before Madonna...

same
Original post by Novis
I used to think jealousy and envy were synonyms. I still use the word jealous wrongly sometimes! X)

Whats the difference between the words?
Original post by Dalek1099
Whats the difference between the words?

1)When someone is jealous they have something they want no one else to have, or something they're afraid they'll lose.
2)Envy is when you resent/hate someone who has something you want.
:smile:

But I think because so many people mistake jealousy to mean 2) it's also come to mean that now. ^_^
my friend doesn't understand what a 'moral dilemma' is, and she refers to any sort of problem as a 'moral dilemma' when usually it has nothing to do with morals hahah
Original post by Novis
1)When someone is jealous they have something they want no one else to have, or something they're afraid they'll lose.
2)Envy is when you resent/hate someone who has something you want.
:smile:

But I think because so many people mistake jealousy to mean 2) it's also come to mean that now. ^_^

Jealous is when you want something that someone else has-I learnt what you call the definition for envy as jealous,before I learnt the word envy and I haven't heard about being jealous of someone having something you have got and it seems rather complex this new meaning you've come up with so in my school,if I don't want people to get good GCSE grades I'm jealous of them I always thought it was the other way around and this link-suggests that my definition is the more associated with the word than that definition and I think it always has anyway I think the link proves that your common misconception is false,sorry.
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
my friend doesn't understand what a 'moral dilemma' is, and she refers to any sort of problem as a 'moral dilemma' when usually it has nothing to do with morals hahah

Most problems can be associated with morals though,what problems does your friend call moral dilemmas?
Jealous is when you want something that someone else has-I learnt what you call the definition for envy as jealous,before I learnt the word envy and I haven't heard about being jealous of someone having something you have got and it seems rather complex this new meaning you've come up with so in my school,if I don't want people to get good GCSE grades I'm jealous of them I always thought it was the other way around and this link-suggests that my definition is the more associated with the word than that definition and I think it always has anyway I think the link proves that your common misconception is false,sorry.

That's the thing, you're right, you're definition is more associated, that's why people say jealousy is when someone wants what someone else has. But jealousy originally and actually means what I said.
Original post by Novis
That's the thing, you're right, you're definition is more associated, that's why people say jealousy is when someone wants what someone else has. But jealousy originally and actually means what I said.

you'll find a lot of words meant something different thousands of years ago too and your common misconception was that jealous and envy weren't synonyms but they currently are and they are still synonyms if the words can be used in different ways but can be used in the same ways.
you'll find a lot of words meant something different thousands of years ago too and your common misconception was that jealous and envy weren't synonyms but they currently are and they are still synonyms if the words can be used in different ways but can be used in the same ways.

Yeah, like I said, people see envy and jealousy to mean the same thing and use it like that :smile:
Most problems can be associated with morals though,what problems does your friend call moral dilemmas?

not really, eg 'got a moral dilemma guys, do I buy the red skirt or the blue one??'
Reply 757
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
not really, eg 'got a moral dilemma guys, do I buy the red skirt or the blue one??'

Is it moral to attract wild animals with the colour of a fresh kill, only to dismay them when they realise you can run away? But then the blue one makes them think there's fresh water! And you can't even go for green in case herbivores think you're made of grass :frown:
When watching soaps on television as a pup I used to think when people ordered a rum and coke that they'd ordered a 'Roman coke'.
To this day, my friend argues that StickyKeys is actually called Strict Keys. We have regular, heated arguments about it in Computing.

Quick Reply

Latest