The Student Room Group

Common Misconceptions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The medjai
Used to think Man Utd and Manchester United were two different teams. Although I doubt it's common...

I actually thought that for a time! Lol except it was man u an man united so cudnt figure out wat u stood for =.=
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 101
i always thought 'cling film' was 'clean film'
Original post by Minotauro
Until I was 13 had no idea calling someone half caste was rude or derogatory, :colondollar: so I'd be calling mixed race people this with out any idea how offensive I was being
and not till a couple years later did I know why it was offensive:colondollar:

I didn't know it was offensive? o:
I don't think it is? Or is it?

Confused.
Original post by Noirla
'green crisps will kill you'

DW!
Original post by PatrickD
Sorry, but is the 'pencil' bit actually serious? :eek: :biggrin:

Yep. I kept getting asked if I had a pencil, when I said yep the class roared with laughter. Asked my mum what they were meaning (I was eleven, rather innocent but knew it was something to do with sex), she said it was a part of a "man's genitals". Until I was 18/19 I genuinely thought there must be something there called a pencil, and could not work out what it was - even after doing my higher human biology. Decided one night that I must have got it wrong! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 105
Actually believed santa wasn't real, for a while

:wink:
Original post by daisydaffodil
Yep. I kept getting asked if I had a pencil, when I said yep the class roared with laughter. Asked my mum what they were meaning (I was eleven, rather innocent but knew it was something to do with sex), she said it was a part of a "man's genitals". Until I was 18/19 I genuinely thought there must be something there called a pencil, and could not work out what it was. Decided one night that I must have got it wrong! :biggrin:

Fair enough. I suppose if the class reacted like that to make you think it was true and then you're mum unintentionally backed them up it was only natural. How were you to know it was a weird made up/slang term and not actually scientific...? :tongue: At least you know now though! :biggrin:
Reply 107
I thought it was "lonely child" as opposed to "only child"
Reply 108
I used to think that the lyrics to Band Aid - Do they know it's Xmas? were; "Viva, wooahhh!"

Spoiler

:colonhash:
Original post by kerb123
I thought it was "lonely child" as opposed to "only child"

Haha. :biggrin: That's so sad and depressing. :frown:
Reply 110
When I was young and started reading Harry Potter, I thought that Hermione was pronounced Her-Me-O-Knee.. and in the books A Series of Unfortunate Events, Klaus was pronounced as 'clause' as my teacher mentioned them briefly in English and obviously linked the two (maybe not so obvious now though)
Brilliant idea for a thread haha

Injury time in football matches is called "stoppage time" not "Scottish time"
The one about "kettle of fish" mentioned above
Used to wonder why "teabagging" was such a big deal, I mean, what's wrong with getting a teabag chucked at you?
Being green means you haven't kissed anyone, not that you're sick
(Really recent) Used to call football players "illegible" instead of "ineligible" for the champions league

more to follow
Oh yea, also used to think %age meant calculate the age of something
Instead of percentage

Believed with a passion that the guy from Art Attacks name was pronounced Neil BOOKH-A-NAAN
(edited 12 years ago)
Until literally last year I thought Sheffield was a borough of London and Bristol was in Scotland.

Whoops.
Reply 114
Haha..love this page..when I was younger I used to think if you remove the battery from a clock..time froze...btw this was when I was about 2/3..am a bit smarter now...:smile:
When I was 6 I used to think you got coldsores from eating coleslaw... :facepalm:

Ooh and that "Duck tape" is actually "Duct tape"...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by marcella
When I was young and started reading Harry Potter, I thought that Hermione was pronounced Her-Me-O-Knee.

I thought that until the movies came out. :colondollar:
When I was little I liked to fiddle with things and walk round poking everything. My Mom had left a pack of green pencils on the top of our fish tank. I went to grab them and she screamed at me "Don't, you'll hurt yourself!" (She meant incase I knocked the fish tank, but at the time I assumed she was warning me about the pencils.) I became convinced from then on that green pencils were poisonous and it would kill me if I touched one. Got to my first day of school and burst out crying because they gave us all pencils to try writing with and mine was green.
When I realised that movies were not filmed in the order of the scenes, it broke my heart that the actors did not go through the same life as the characters!
Reply 119
Original post by Sabertooth
I thought that until the movies came out. :colondollar:

Her-me-own for me :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest