The Student Room Group

ROI medicine official thread 2012 entry

This thread is for anyone who wants to study Medicine in the Republic of Ireland. There are 5 universities offering Medicine in the ROI.
1. Trinity College Dublin
2. UCD
3. Royal college of Surgeons Ireland
4. Galway University
5. Cork University

you apply via the CAO not UCAS. application in by January.

PS.In order to get into these universities, you have to take the Hpat Ireland test ( Irish equivalent of Ukcat or BMAT) I was wondering if anyone would be happy to take the Medentry Platinium Package with me. This package offers a thorough revision of the HPAT via online resources as well as a course.However, for one person it costs £570 but for a group ( 2 or more) it is only £350 each. For this reason, I was wondering if anyone would join me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ladyla
This thread is for anyone who wants to study Medicine in the Republic of Ireland. There are 5 universities offering Medicine in the ROI.
2. UCD
4. Galway University
5. Cork University

PS.In order to get into these universities, you have to take the Hpat Ireland test ( Irish equivalent of Ukcat or BMAT) I was wondering if anyone would be happy to take the Medentry Platinium Package with me. This package offers a thorough revision of the HPAT via online resources as well as a course.However, for one person it costs £570 but for a group ( 2 or more) it is only £350 each. For this reason, I was wondering if anyone would join me?

Hi I am considering applying to Ireland what are the A level requirements. :s-smilie:
Reply 2
You need 4 a levels cause the points are very high about 735. The Hpat test is out of 300 and its 150 points for an A*, 135 points for an A
Reply 3
Hi guys, an international applicant from Canada here.
I sent off my "common applicantion" via mail last week. This is getting exciting!
Reply 4
Hi there,
I'm considering applying to Irish universities for medicine but I don't know how to calculate whether I have the required points or not with my A levels .

These are my grades:

AS: Maths(A), Chemistry(A), Biology(A), Economics(A), General Studies(A)

A2: MATHS(A), Chemisrty(A), General Studies(A), Biology (B)

Could someone please calculate how many points I have.
Is General Studies accepted as an A level in Ireland?

GCSES: 7.5 A stars, 4 A's
Reply 5
Original post by Sam007
Hi there,
I'm considering applying to Irish universities for medicine but I don't know how to calculate whether I have the required points or not with my A levels .

These are my grades:

General studies doesn't count, you can have 3 A2s and an AS if you don't have 4 A2s, you have around 450-480 points
does anyone know much about applying to GEM in ROI as a UK graduate?
Reply 7
Original post by annaroberts20
does anyone know much about applying to GEM in ROI as a UK graduate?

GEM is not as competitive in ROI compared with the UK most likely due to the cost of a GEM course (100K) combined with a much smaller population , less demand .

Its 100% based on GAMSAT so if you get the points your guaranteed a spot.

The fees are astronomical though , with the majority taking out loans of 100K (54k fees ) and the rest to live off for the 4 years. It is very expensive to live in Ireland , rent food e.t.c So that is pretty hugh debt to graduate with.

I think the points are roughly UCD 59/60 , UL 54/55 , UCC 58/59 , RCSI 60/61.

UL is the only PBL course , the others are traditional lectures, dissection e.t.c RCSI is probably the most prestigious of the four followed closely by UCD. UL is not established yet hence the lower entry requirements and it is the only uni not to offer an undergrad degree as well.
Original post by tristar
GEM is not as competitive in ROI compared with the UK most likely due to the cost of a GEM course (100K) combined with a much smaller population , less demand .

Its 100% based on GAMSAT so if you get the points your guaranteed a spot.

The fees are astronomical though , with the majority taking out loans of 100K (54k fees ) and the rest to live off for the 4 years. It is very expensive to live in Ireland , rent food e.t.c So that is pretty hugh debt to graduate with.

I think the points are roughly UCD 59/60 , UL 54/55 , UCC 58/59 , RCSI 60/61.

UL is the only PBL course , the others are traditional lectures, dissection e.t.c RCSI is probably the most prestigious of the four followed closely by UCD. UL is not established yet hence the lower entry requirements and it is the only uni not to offer an undergrad degree as well.

Hi, thanks so much for all the info. Do you happen to know if many students apply for the GEM from the UK? Would we be able to apply for the loans to cover the costs?
Reply 9
Original post by annaroberts20
Hi, thanks so much for all the info. Do you happen to know if many students apply for the GEM from the UK? Would we be able to apply for the loans to cover the costs?

I think its pretty rare for UK students to apply to ireland as most will not want to live here for 4 years plus. There is quiet a few canadian/north american students.

However Im pretty sure once you've got your degree you can apply for FY1 in the UK as opposed to doing your intern year here just as irish students in the UK often come home and do 1 intern year instead of the two foundation years.

I have no idea about the loans as a UK student, I would say you would have a lot more difficulty getting one. AIB and BOI are the two main GEP banks so maybe contact them directly to see where you would stand. Each UNI is attached to a specific bank so you could find that out by ringing the uni's themselves. All banking maters are very strict here at the moment due to the outrageous state of economical affairs.

So its easier to get a place here but finance is a hugh problem for a lot of people, I personally do not want a debt of 100K. It would definitely be more financially viable for me to get a place in the UK or a 5yr in scotland/NI. (I think the repayment is approx 1200 a month out of wages of about 2200 a month...euros)

www.doc2be.ie <------- this is a blog from a GEP RCSI student, makes for some good reading, starts from GAMSAT to 2nd year. She would def know more about all this than I. I am but a mere applicant en ce moment, a hopeful future medic. x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi, I'm really keen to study in the republic, but I was wondering if trinity is as well regarded as some English unis like Kings college london?
Reply 11
I think Trinity is probably the most prestigious college in Ireland. In the QS World University Rankings, it's at 65, so a couple of places higher than Birmingham and just behind LSE (although uni rankings aren't really the best way to judge) - and would be higher if it had the funding that many English unis do. It used to have links with Oxbridge too, but I don't know if it does anymore.

But yes, it's as well regarded as the English unis :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Ladyla

Original post by Ladyla
2. UCD
4. Galway University
5. Cork University

Aaah the HPAT... :moon:

Don't bother with that medentry package, just get the official past papers.
Original post by Sam007
Hi there,

These are my grades:

General Studies will not count. So you'd have to use an AS- which gives you 455 exactly. This is nowhere near enough, and wouldn't be even if you could count General Studies. You will be competing against people with 600 points which is A*A*A*A*. A brilliant HPAT score would bump you up but you would still basically need 560 to begin with. General Studies will not count because it's unfair- we have only traditional subjects. People presenting for medicine in Ireland will be doing Irish, English, Maths, French(usually French)- all compulsory. They will also be doing two of Chemistry, Physics and Biology AND one other subject- History or whatever.
Original post by tristar
I think its pretty rare for UK students to apply to ireland as most will not want to live here for 4 years plus. There is quiet a few canadian/north american students.

???Trinity is full of UK students. In particular subjects like English, History, BESS and Law. I wouldn;t be able to walk through the Arts block without encountering an English accent. This will only increase when that huge jump in UK fees come in- what's holding it back is moreso how much more competitive Ireland is.

I have no idea about the loans as a UK student, I would say you would have a lot more difficulty getting one. AIB and BOI are the two main GEP banks so maybe contact them directly to see where you would stand. Each UNI is attached to a specific bank so you could find that out by ringing the uni's themselves. All banking maters are very strict here at the moment due to the outrageous state of economical affairs.

Absolutely, nobody is getting a loan these days, the banks are a right mess. An overdraft would be more likely but still pretty unlikely. 5 years ago..different story. Trinity has its fees paid through BOI (Bank of Ireland) alright but it does have an AIB on campus, so I wouldn't call that total affiliation..probably more so the fact that BOI's main bank is across the road from it.
Reply 15
Original post by StarsAreFixed

General Studies will not count. So you'd have to use an AS- which gives you 455 exactly. This is nowhere near enough, and wouldn't be even if you could count General Studies. You will be competing against people with 600 points which is A*A*A*A*. A brilliant HPAT score would bump you up but you would still basically need 560 to begin with. General Studies will not count because it's unfair- we have only traditional subjects. People presenting for medicine in Ireland will be doing Irish, English, Maths, French(usually French)- all compulsory. They will also be doing two of Chemistry, Physics and Biology AND one other subject- History or whatever.

Won't be anyone with 600 points :p:
Reply 16

After 500 points, they start to count less, so although 4A*s should be 600, it is only 550, an the points difference between 4A*s, 3A*s and an A, and 2 and 2, is fairly minimal :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Have any Canadians applied to Ireland?

If yes, how do you apply? When are deadlines? I am considering applying there if UK doesn't work out...although I doubt I can afford Ireland fees.
Reply 18
Original post by InkyOne

Original post by InkyOne
After 500 points, they start to count less, so although 4A*s should be 600, it is only 550, an the points difference between 4A*s, 3A*s and an A, and 2 and 2, is fairly minimal :s-smilie:

Nope, for medicine candidates the maximum score you can have is 560 points. Its fine up til 550, but after that point ever 5 points becomes 1. So 4A* = 560, 2A*, 2A = 554. HPAT score is then directly added to this.
Original post by InkyOne

I'm going by Trinity's grade-scoring page.
http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/requirements/matriculation/gcse/

..which interestingly enough, says nothing about this difference about points for medicine. However, 4A*'s is still 600 for every other course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending