The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm a second year at UCP Marjon, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. :smile:
Hey,
Yeah I was wondering if there was a 2013 entry thread on SLT as I have just been stalking the 2012 entry thread for like the past hour! :biggrin:
I think I hoping to apply for UCP Marjon, Reading, UEA, Manchester as well, but instead of QMU Birmingham City since the gramps lives there. :L
I think my preferred ones are UEA and Reading (mainly because It's only an hour from where I live so it'll be easy to go home and visit). Though I haven't looked at any universities at open days as of yet, so positives and negatives of each of the universities and their course would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'm considering Speech therapy as a career and would be looking to apply in 2013. Can anyone suggest any good reading material and good places to do work experience at?
Original post by InsaneRain
I'm considering Speech therapy as a career and would be looking to apply in 2013. Can anyone suggest any good reading material and good places to do work experience at?

'A Career in Speech and Language Therapy' by Wright and Kersner is a great insight into the job, but it's getting quite elusive to get hold of. Any biographies about potential client groups are also useful.

For work experience, contact your local NHS trust, private practices, schools, special schools, nurseries, nursing homes etc. to see if they will accept people for shadowing. Some places may say that they won't take you until you're 18, due to confidentiality issues, but any experience with potential client groups is invaluable, as universities know that not everyone will find it possible to get direct shadowing experience with their local trust.
Reply 5
I'm going to apply to Leeds met, Sheffield and Manchester. What voluntary work etc are you guys doing?
Reply 6
Hi :redface:)

I'm an A2 student and have applied for 2012 entry, but just got an offer from my current part time job to work full time for a year before I go. I'm considering this, solely for financial reasons, as long as my offers will agree to defer (which they may not) I was wondering about funding though, has anyone seen anything which suggests it will definitely still be funded in 2013? As with the state the government is in I don't want to defer my entry then find the NHS has crashed and burned and there is no funding anymore!

Thanks in advance!
Sal
Original post by SalC
Hi :redface:)

I'm an A2 student and have applied for 2012 entry, but just got an offer from my current part time job to work full time for a year before I go. I'm considering this, solely for financial reasons, as long as my offers will agree to defer (which they may not) I was wondering about funding though, has anyone seen anything which suggests it will definitely still be funded in 2013? As with the state the government is in I don't want to defer my entry then find the NHS has crashed and burned and there is no funding anymore!

Thanks in advance!
Sal

It's one of those things where you just have to wait and see. The issue with funding right now is pretty precarious for new students in the coming years, so maybe give them a ring and ask? That's the best thing you can do really.
Hey guys,
It's me again. I've been having problems at getting any work experience at local hospitals etc, so I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas about where else to get some? Also, if the luck happens that any of you live in the Surrey area, do you know any where that may have any openings at all.

I also ordered that book of Amazon. Cost me £20!
Original post by disgracieful
Hey guys,
It's me again. I've been having problems at getting any work experience at local hospitals etc, so I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas about where else to get some? Also, if the luck happens that any of you live in the Surrey area, do you know any where that may have any openings at all.

It's not essential that you get work experience in hospitals, as universities know that not all PCTs allow non-students to shadow their SLTs. Any experience shadowing a SLT/observing and working with potential client groups is what universities expect.
Reply 10
Original post by Bethanyyy-
I'm going to apply to Leeds met, Sheffield and Manchester. What voluntary work etc are you guys doing?

The Sheffield course is brilliant - I'm a second year Human Communication Sciences student, and do all the same modules, and it's the same dept. The department couldn't be nicer, and it's so quaint!
Most of the reading list consists of work published by the academic staff in the department, so it's nice to be able to trust where your knowledge is coming from.

Also, in regards to voluntary work ect, anything with people in a "caring" position is what they seem to look for, ie. schools, nursing homes. I volunteer at a holiday scheme for children, and I had a job as a PA for a disabled lady.

And if you don't get the grades for the BMed, it's really really worth checking out the BSc. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by disgracieful
Hey guys,

I'm a 2012 applicant, but I had this problem last year too.
I worked in a special needs school for a week and got lucky there, and was able to observe some sessions, so you could try that, or just an ordinary primary school if you can't. I did a reading scheme within school too which UEA were very keen to talk to me about in my interview, and it helped me out in terms of my skills in listening and observing :smile: I also worked in a hospice which wasn't directly related but again, personal skill development has a lot of advantages! I did work in a charity shop for a while too but it was actually Arthritis Research UK, so if you do decide to go for that, try and pick somewhere a bit more relevant.

PS: that book is so worth it. :biggrin:
Original post by juliewho
I'm a 2012 applicant, but I had this problem last year too.
I worked in a special needs school for a week and got lucky there, and was able to observe some sessions, so you could try that, or just an ordinary primary school if you can't. I did a reading scheme within school too which UEA were very keen to talk to me about in my interview, and it helped me out in terms of my skills in listening and observing :smile: I also worked in a hospice which wasn't directly related but again, personal skill development has a lot of advantages! I did work in a charity shop for a while too but it was actually Arthritis Research UK, so if you do decide to go for that, try and pick somewhere a bit more relevant.

PS: that book is so worth it. :biggrin:

Original post by PhoenixFortune
It's not essential that you get work experience in hospitals, as universities know that not all PCTs allow non-students to shadow their SLTs. Any experience shadowing a SLT/observing and working with potential client groups is what universities expect.

Thanks for the replies,I may get into contact with my schools own SLT as I've shadowed in one of her sessions already.
JulieWho I'm so glad you've mentioned the reading scheme and how interested they were because I'm doing one for school too so I'll definitely keep that up :smile: Anda charity called afasic run trips like you've mentioned so I'll try and get involved with that too.
Thanks again for the help guys, really appreciate it. The book came in the post today so I'll get on to reading it :biggrin:
If I don't get into the postgrad at Greenwich or Essex this year, I am definitely applying for City, Reading and UCL for 2013.
For more advice on experience and SLT, go to the http://www.rcslt.org/ There are lots of charities that take on volunteers like Headway, Connect and Afasic. Try special schools or day centres too.
Reply 14
Yep, I'll be applying for SALT in 2012 once I get started on my access course later this year. Looking at DMU only for the time being as I wish to stay in Leicester, but will be applying for other local unis as well.

Experience wise, I've worked in a residential home that had 6 Autistic lads with communication problems and now have moved to the NHS in an LD unit. I've finally managed to secure some shadowing in the unit and in the community due to there being a SALT in the unit. Took me some time as other SALT's I've contacted simply never bothered to get back to me!
Reply 15
I am a 2012 applicant and applied for Manchester, Reading, Sheffield-rejected :frown:, Leeds Met-offer and UEA-interview.

If you want the book order it from the local library as it could be as much as £30 from amazon! But as someone mentioned it is really worth it. Also have a look on the Manchester website it has a recommended reading list which I used.

As for work experience I think I found it easier living in London, but I was really lucky. I emailed and rang loads of PCTs, hospitals,clinics in my local area. In the end I got work experience with children who had issues eating and making food fun for them and observing Speech Therapists in a local clinic. Also, it is important to get voluntary experience working with children, adults and the elderly. I work in a disabled children centre and with adults with learning disabilities.

If anyone wants any more advice about experience and applying to university let me know :smile:
Original post by naomiele
I am a 2012 applicant and applied for Manchester, Reading, Sheffield-rejected :frown:, Leeds Met-offer and UEA-interview.

If you want the book order it from the local library as it could be as much as £30 from amazon! But as someone mentioned it is really worth it. Also have a look on the Manchester website it has a recommended reading list which I used.

As for work experience I think I found it easier living in London, but I was really lucky. I emailed and rang loads of PCTs, hospitals,clinics in my local area. In the end I got work experience with children who had issues eating and making food fun for them and observing Speech Therapists in a local clinic. Also, it is important to get voluntary experience working with children, adults and the elderly. I work in a disabled children centre and with adults with learning disabilities.

If anyone wants any more advice about experience and applying to university let me know :smile:

Hi, I was just wondering what your offer for Leeds was?
Reply 17
It was BBB in the prospectus, but they increased it to ABB when they gave me an offer. Which was a bit of a bummer xx
Original post by naomiele

If anyone has problems finding Manchester's reading list:

http://www.psych-sci.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/slt/coursedetails/?code=00662&pg=8

PDF download... Also, the bottom of the page has relevant places to contact for experience :smile::smile:
Bauby, J.D. (1997) The diving bell and the butterfly, Fourth Estate, London - a book off the list- also available on DVD... I'm going to watch it tonight!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diving-Bell-Butterfly-Mathieu-Amalric/dp/B0015VI366

Latest