The Student Room Group

UCAS Through IB 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madfreakz
I just have economics left on monday and tuesday!

ohhh good luck!!!
UK unis have now got the flexibility to offer extra places to students with 35 IB points (or AAB).
Surely the combination of an international student fee and 35 points will be too good for most unis to resist...hopefully!!
I applied to UCL, Imperial and Oxford for Medicine,

predicted 44/45, 3 core points, 7,7,6 for chemistry hl , biology hl and math hl.

any fellow IB medicine applicants here? i'm really worried about disregarding the predicted grades cause of the BMAT shortlisting system, which frankly, I did not do so well in I think =P
Reply 43
I got a conditional offer from St. Andrews today for French-German-Russian (WIYA) - 35 points.

I'm predicted 45/45 & I also applied to Cambridge, Sheffield and Edinburgh.

I actually made a mistake applying to Sheffield, because I'm applying for French and German ab initio. Apparently Sheffield does not offer German ab initio, so I have no idea what they're going to say about my application :colondollar:
Got my Cambridge interview letter today :biggrin: FOUR interviews and an MML test! :O xx
Reply 45
Original post by beautiful-lion
Got my Cambridge interview letter today :biggrin: FOUR interviews and an MML test! :O xx

Congrats! Which college did you apply for & which languages? I'm an MML applicant too :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by -raisa
I got a conditional offer from St. Andrews today for French-German-Russian (WIYA) - 35 points.

I'm predicted 45/45 & I also applied to Cambridge, Sheffield and Edinburgh.

I actually made a mistake applying to Sheffield, because I'm applying for French and German ab initio. Apparently Sheffield does not offer German ab initio, so I have no idea what they're going to say about my application :colondollar:

What kind of school actually predicts 45/45? Universities will probably ignore it as complete fabrication, whether it is or not. You should have asked for 44 instead. No matter how incredible you are the process of getting a 45/45 involves a huge amount of luck-I would know with 44 and losing the point in EE, another marker might have pushed me onto the 45.

Also, congratulations to those with Cantab interviews. I'm at Emma and hopefully will be directing some people to interview rooms in the interview period.
school sent my app off on wednesday, acknowledgements from edinburgh york and durham have already come by email...
Original post by -raisa
Congrats! Which college did you apply for & which languages? I'm an MML applicant too :smile:

Selwyn, for French and ab initio Russian. You?
Reply 49
Original post by Hypocrism
What kind of school actually predicts 45/45? Universities will probably ignore it as complete fabrication, whether it is or not. You should have asked for 44 instead. No matter how incredible you are the process of getting a 45/45 involves a huge amount of luck-I would know with 44 and losing the point in EE, another marker might have pushed me onto the 45.

Also, congratulations to those with Cantab interviews. I'm at Emma and hopefully will be directing some people to interview rooms in the interview period.

Why would I question what my teachers predict me?! Each of my teachers predicted me a mark separately, and then they got put together for 45/45. Besides, I actually took two exams already last year, so I only got predicted marks for 4 subjects + EE and TOK.

Original post by beautiful-lion
Selwyn, for French and ab initio Russian. You?

King's, for French and ab initio German. I got an interview invite on Friday! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by -raisa
Why would I question what my teachers predict me?! Each of my teachers predicted me a mark separately, and then they got put together for 45/45. Besides, I actually took two exams already last year, so I only got predicted marks for 4 subjects + EE and TOK.

King's, for French and ab initio German. I got an interview invite on Friday! :smile:

This is entirely speculation, but I think that people applying with 45/45 predictions will actually get fewer offers in total than people applying with 44/44. I was wary enough about my predicted 44 to ask my coordinator if it was wise, and he said 44 was believable for an application with a good personal statement, but that he predicted max 2/3 for core simply because a prediction of 45 is not believable.

Still, props for being on the way to a high score (it is definitely worth it!) and with a high prediction you will get plenty of offers.
This is entirely speculation, but I think that people applying with 45/45 predictions will actually get fewer offers in total than people applying with 44/44. I was wary enough about my predicted 44 to ask my coordinator if it was wise, and he said 44 was believable for an application with a good personal statement, but that he predicted max 2/3 for core simply because a prediction of 45 is not believable.

Still, props for being on the way to a high score (it is definitely worth it!) and with a high prediction you will get plenty of offers.

yeah that's exactly what they did with my friend at school. he was getting full marks in every subject except for english and because he's applying to the US they needed to be really strict on his predictions, and eventually decided that even 44 was too much for anyone to believe (though judging by his SATs i can see him getting 44) and actually took away a core point from him. either way getting over 42 will garentee a lot of offers (given a decent personal statement).
Reply 52
Original post by jacksonriddle
yeah that's exactly what they did with my friend at school. he was getting full marks in every subject except for english and because he's applying to the US they needed to be really strict on his predictions, and eventually decided that even 44 was too much for anyone to believe (though judging by his SATs i can see him getting 44) and actually took away a core point from him. either way getting over 42 will garentee a lot of offers (given a decent personal statement).

Definitely agreed, there was only one person at my IB group predicted (and gained) 40+ points who didn't get any offers (and that was because of his bad english-foreign) and the rest of us breezed into at least somewhere.
Definitely agreed, there was only one person at my IB group predicted (and gained) 40+ points who didn't get any offers (and that was because of his bad english-foreign) and the rest of us breezed into at least somewhere.

yeah exactly.
for some reason my school has refused to give out any 7s in english. no idea what's going on.
Reply 54
Original post by jacksonriddle
yeah exactly.
for some reason my school has refused to give out any 7s in english. no idea what's going on.

SL English has a very low % of 7s, they may just be being safe. Only 2 of us out of 15 got 7s.
SL English has a very low % of 7s, they may just be being safe. Only 2 of us out of 15 got 7s.

okay yeah but we have about 100 people in our year doing the IB and i think there's like one 7 for HL and none for SL. but lots of people got 7s for IOP and predicted 7 for world lit... :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Hey, I'm applying to Lancaster (Study Abroad) with 41 in predicted. They only require 36 or 38, so I hope I get in =) I'm pretty sure I want to go to that school as the campus is really beautiful.

Predictions:
HL English A1 - 6
HL Norwegian B - 7
HL History - 6
SL Biology - 6
SL Economics - 6
SL Mathematics - 7 (Achieved)

Good Luck everyone, and I hope everyone gets into their first choices. I'm going to be so happy when I am finished with IB.
Original post by The 31st
Hey, I'm applying to Lancaster (Study Abroad) with 41 in predicted. They only require 36 or 38, so I hope I get in =) I'm pretty sure I want to go to that school as the campus is really beautiful.

Predictions:
HL English A1 - 6
HL Norwegian B - 7
HL History - 6
SL Biology - 6
SL Economics - 6
SL Mathematics - 7 (Achieved)

Good Luck everyone, and I hope everyone gets into their first choices. I'm going to be so happy when I am finished with IB.

hi! i'm applying to lancaster too! they're asking for 32 and 16 at HL for my course, and yeah i agree it looks like a great university. your grades look fantastic! i heard lancaster really likes the IB so hopefully that's an advantage for both of us!
what course are you going for, and what other universities have you applied to?
Reply 58

Hey, I'm an international applicant but applied to be interviewed in Cambridge.

I just received my letter for an interview on the 13th in Emma, would you be one of my tour guides? haha
Reply 59
Original post by madfreakz
Hey, I'm an international applicant but applied to be interviewed in Cambridge.

I just received my letter for an interview on the 13th in Emma, would you be one of my tour guides? haha

I haven't had confirmation of whether I'll be allowed to stay for helping with interviews, but sure will let you know if I am there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending