The Student Room Group

UCAS Through IB 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jacksonriddle
then again i've seen offers like: 28 points overall with 7 and 7 at two higher level subjects, they obviously have no clue what IB is.

I've never seen this, but to be honest it's technically more fair - because A-level offers of AAA basically means they want you to be very able in 3 subjects. 28 with 77 at HL basically tries to mimic this by getting you to be very good at 2 subjects, not really caring much about other things?
Original post by logiadoevus
I've never seen this, but to be honest it's technically more fair - because A-level offers of AAA basically means they want you to be very able in 3 subjects. 28 with 77 at HL basically tries to mimic this by getting you to be very good at 2 subjects, not really caring much about other things?

but when you get this type of offer you still need to work on SL subjects and not completely ignore it, so you still have 3 extra subjects to deal with.
but when you get this type of offer you still need to work on SL subjects and not completely ignore it, so you still have 3 extra subjects to deal with.

Yes, you're right, but this at least is closer to AAA offer, since they want excellence in only 2/3 subjects - the problem with IB offers is that they are higher than A-level because universities want a certain level of achievement in every subject you do, no matter if it's 3 A-levels (thus AAA) or 6 IB (thus 38)...
Original post by logiadoevus
Yes, you're right, but this at least is closer to AAA offer, since they want excellence in only 2/3 subjects - the problem with IB offers is that they are higher than A-level because universities want a certain level of achievement in every subject you do, no matter if it's 3 A-levels (thus AAA) or 6 IB (thus 38)...

yeah i agree.
the best thing about IB is not having to worry about different exam boards though! :biggrin:
i remember in GCSE that i got really annoyed because one of the rival schools were getting much better results than us by doing an easier exam for the same subject.
congrats on your offer!
what are you predicted?

It's my daughter's offer (but I am a part-time student too).

She is predicted 40-42 but she thinks this is way too optimistic. Personally I think 38 is right at the top of her range. If you get 2 for TOK/EE you would need an average of 6 for every topic, which is tough going. She thinks the most she will get for Maths SL is 5, so she needs at least one 7.

January 4th (results day in Australia for IB) is going to be a nervy day!!
Reply 105
Hi everyone

I applied for Aeronautical/ Aerospace Engineering

Predicted 38 + 3 Additional Points, 41/45

University of Bristol - Got an offer - overall 38 points including 7 in HL Chemistry, 6 in HL Maths, 6 in HL Physics and atleast a 5 in SL English A1

Imperial College London

University of Bath - Got an offer - overall 36 points, 6s in HL Maths and Physics, 5 in SL English A1.

University of Manchester - Offer - 35 points, 6s in HL Physics and Maths, 5 in SL English A1

University of Southampton

Hi :smile:

My predicted is 42/45
English A1 HL - 6
Economics HL - 7
Business HL - 7
Maths Studies - 7
Biology SL - 6
Arabic B SL - 7
and two tok/ee points

I've applied to:
Lancaster (got an offer) - 32 points with 16 at HL
LSE - 37 points
York - 34 points
Loughborough - 34 points
Leeds - 35 points
heyy there ; I am in my second year but not yet into MOCKS , but i need please some help IF SOME ONE IN CONTACT WITH A GOOD MATHS STUDIES MODERATOR OR TEACHER CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME ? some probs with my IA corrections . Thank Youu :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending