The Student Room Group

Child Nursing 2012!

Hey peeps! I'm applying to Child Nursing for 2012 at City, Coventry, Hertfordshire & London South Bank... I'm pretty excited and I wanted to see/know if there were any other future Paediatric Nurses applying to the same Universitys to discuss bits and bobs! haha

Peace and love :smile:

Scroll to see replies

My girlfriend went to the interview for LSBU and is now in her second year there. I made a post for people like you if you're interested in what questions they asked.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1329965
Reply 2
Ah, thats actually going to help me out quite a bit! Thank you so much. How is your gf finding Child Nursing at LSBU so far in? How strongly would she recommend it?
Reply 3
hey! i'm applying for children's nursing too! so far i know i'm applying to coventry and keele, but i would love to live in london so im going to the new bucks and kings college open days :smile:
are you excited?
im confused about funding though, what exactly do we get? and how do we apply? xo
I have applied to do child nursing and I have an interview for LSB next friday, so nervous but exciting. How much experience have you got in the field? I am the only one that has applied for child nursing at my college so far. Funding depends on your income and don't think you can sort it out until you have a place at uni.
Reply 5
Im applying for children's nursing 2012 too! :smile:
I've applied for Southampton, Kings, York, Leeds & Edge Hill!
Good luck with your interview! x
Original post by Hannah-xo
Im applying for children's nursing 2012 too! :smile:
I've applied for Southampton, Kings, York, Leeds & Edge Hill!
Good luck with your interview! x

Have you had an invite to interview from Edge Hill yet? I've applied there too, it's my first choice :smile:
Reply 7
I'm applying to children's nursing 2012 :smile: Applied for Leeds, Keele, Nottingham, Bradford and UCLAN, got interviews for the latter 2 so far :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by tinkerbell2387
I have applied to do child nursing and I have an interview for LSB next friday, so nervous but exciting. How much experience have you got in the field? I am the only one that has applied for child nursing at my college so far. Funding depends on your income and don't think you can sort it out until you have a place at uni.

Cool! Are you entering in Sept? As for work experiance I've been on placements in various nurseries and I've also done placements at two elderly residential homes. According to tutors I've spoken too LSBU is actually quite respected when it comes to Nursing degrees! Good luck with your interview and let us know how it goes! :smile:
Thanks guys, will let you know how I get on. Do you know how many child nursing places there are at LSBU? or how long the interview tend to last?
I've applied for children's nursing at Nottingham, Keele, Cardiff and Manchester as well as Masters of Nursing Science at Nottingham :biggrin:.
How much work experience has everyone else done?
I work for Bupa and look after children with life limiting conditions so have to give them meds, do trachy changes, suction, bagging, deal with seizures, personal care, monitor sats, give oxgyen etc what experience do you have?
I work for Bupa and look after children with life limiting conditions so have to give them meds, do trachy changes, suction, bagging, deal with seizures, personal care, monitor sats, give oxgyen etc what experience do you have?

Wow - I'm sure they are going to snap you up!!

WOW! Mine seems pretty rubbish in comparison :frown:.
I volunteer in a pre-school, I do artwork with them as well as more general stuff like giving out snack and reading stories. I also volunteered in an elderly care home for a bit of caring experience before I decided I preferred working with children where I basically sat and spoke to patients in day care, respite and the dementia ward. I spent a day at King's Cross station in the occupational health clinic on the construction site where I was able to do blood pressures and sit through patient examinations. I've also spent about 20 weeks in lower school lessons (year 7 and 8) helping out in maths and science lessons :smile:. I'm a member of St Johns Ambulance and I'm applying soon to volunteer with the Donna Louise Trust who look after terminally ill children and their families but it's hard to work everything around A-levels :frown:.
Original post by BeccaAnne94
WOW! Mine seems pretty rubbish in comparison :frown:.
I volunteer in a pre-school, I do artwork with them as well as more general stuff like giving out snack and reading stories. I also volunteered in an elderly care home for a bit of caring experience before I decided I preferred working with children where I basically sat and spoke to patients in day care, respite and the dementia ward. I spent a day at King's Cross station in the occupational health clinic on the construction site where I was able to do blood pressures and sit through patient examinations. I've also spent about 20 weeks in lower school lessons (year 7 and 8) helping out in maths and science lessons :smile:. I'm a member of St Johns Ambulance and I'm applying soon to volunteer with the Donna Louise Trust who look after terminally ill children and their families but it's hard to work everything around A-levels :frown:.

You will be fine - if you have included all that in your PS and why its relevant thats all good :smile:
I am really doubting I will get an offer after reading all this! I've only done work experience at primary school and I have no voluntary work either :frown:

How long did it take you all to get offers?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lauren-Maree
I am really doubting I will get an offer after reading all this! I've only done work experience at primary school and I have no voluntary work either :frown:

As long as you have linked your experience to the skills required you should be ok.
Last year my ucas form was in mid nov - I heard back in a few weeks to say they had received it but didn't hear about any interviews till after Christmas.
I had the interviews right up into April - I didn't even hear from LJMU till end of March!!
If you get interviews that is the time to sell yourself, once you get past the initial stage of your PS I think its a level playing field.
I did not get any offers - only on reserve lists, but then at the end of August had a couple of Uni's phone me up to offer me a place so don't think negatively!!
Good luck
Reply 17

All the Universities I looked at and those I applied to, do not expect you to have amazing experience esp in an NHS setting. They know how hard it is to get. As long as you have shown why you are passionate about child nursing and have the necessary skills, fingers crossed you should get some interviews. The primary school experience is great if you can relate the required skills to this. Even working in shops etc all help.
Many applicants I was at interviews with had little experience so fingers crossed.

It took various amounts of time to hear back for interviews: Southampton, Manchester and Nottingham offered me interviews before Christmas. Brighton and CCC wouldn't look at applications until after UCAS closing in January and I had interviews in February. Dress smartly, read up on current health issues and make sure you participate in the discussions. Don't be too pushy but make sure that you are heard. I'm really shy and hate speaking in public but they all make you feel relaxed and all the applicants are really nice. :smile: Good luck.
Reply 18

this! all the experience i have is working in a nursery for two weeks and i work in a hospital at the minute as a cleaner. i have applied for so many volunteer things but nowhere will take me :/

i haven't even sent my application off either, my school really drag their heels! i'm really panicking now because i don't think i will get in. :frown:

will really affect my application if i send it nearer the deadline? it will probably be in two weeks. xo
Reply 19
Original post by ShayBethh!
this! all the experience i have is working in a nursery for two weeks and i work in a hospital at the minute as a cleaner. i have applied for so many volunteer things but nowhere will take me :/

i haven't even sent my application off either, my school really drag their heels! i'm really panicking now because i don't think i will get in. :frown:

will really affect my application if i send it nearer the deadline? it will probably be in two weeks. xo

Lots of unis won't look at applications until the deadline in January and most will interview well into the spring. Don't worry about your experience. As long as you can show that you have the skills required and the desire to become a nurse, you should be ok. The unis appreciate how hard it is to get voluntary work. Good luck:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending