The Student Room Group

Questions about house party laws - HELP! :)

Ok so I'm having a house party (my first one) this winter for my 18th. There's about 20 people coming, most are under 18 (but myself and 1 or 2 others are 18+). I'm planning to have quite a bit of alcohol there and loud music into the night. I'm sending a note round to my neighbours just to warn them about the noise etc. My family are going out (bar my dad who is staying to light the bonfire and then keeping quiet upstairs :P)

My main worries are:
- Is it illegal for me to be handing out alcohol to people under 18 and what would happen if for some reason the police showed up?
- Could my parents get in trouble if someone got too drunk and got hurt or something?
- A couple of my friends are into weed and are probably bringing some for their own personal use - can we get in trouble with police for this?
- If it got a bit noisy or rowdy could the police send everyone home or anything like that?

Haha I know I sound paranoid, but I want it to be a good party and to be honest I'm not all that clued up on the law when its going on in my own house! Just don't wanna get anyone, especially my parents, in trouble!

If anyone could clue me in I would be very grateful! :biggrin:
Reply 1
just have a madddd one! seriously dont worry about all this stuff, espeically the under 18 aspect. tons of people have house parties with underage kids and alcohol. its no big deal at all.
theres only 20 people, your not gonna make enough noise to get in trouble with the police, though if u do they kick everyone out. your neighbours should be fine since you told them. turn it down a bit after 11pm though.
if people bring weed, they';re unlikely to be caught and if so they'll be in trouble not you or parents.
your parents wont get in trouble for someone getting drunk. seriously stop stressing out or your gonna have a crappy time! its gonna be good if you dont go round hassling everyone about things. so yeah. go mad! youll be 18!
xx
Reply 2
I've never been to a house party where the police have turned up and I've only ever heard of one where police were called. And that was because it was gate crashed and people started smashing cutlery on the road.

Just have a good night and enjoy yourselves!
Reply 3
Yes its illegal to supply alcohol to minors. Yes your parents could get in trouble if one of the minors was injured, especially if it was because they were drunk. Yes you and your parents could get in trouble for knowingly allowing people to smoke drugs on your premises. Yes the police could tell everyone to go home if the party gets too rowdy and they are called.

Moral of the story: Don't be too noisy, don't let people get stupid drunk and don't let people smoke drugs in your house.
Come on, like under 18s and even under 16s don't go to regular house parties and get wasted...

Just be responsible. You can still have fun and be responsible. I think the rule should be, if you're the host, it's your duty to make sure everyone knows how they're getting home after the party, that they do so safely, etc etc.
Reply 5
Thanks guys - this is all helpful stuff :smile: everyone's staying at mine for the night so its unlikely they'll go off wandering the streets - shoud be fiiiiiiiiine, my mates aren't too stupid :smile: thanks everyone x
Reply 6
To be fair, even if the police do show up, all they'll be doing it telling you to turn the noise down after a complaint, in which case just do so and it's no problem. That's what happened with a house party I was at once.

And besides, even if police wanted to come in, they'd have to have a warrant to do so - otherwise they have no more right than the average man off the street does to come into your house. (Unless the law on this has changed, someone may have to back me up on this).
I've been to a house party where a guy ended up in hospital, the parents of the girl who had the party didn't even need to know about it...
Just enjoy the party, with only 20 people going you should be fine :smile:
Reply 8
jesus... stop worrying over absolutely nothing..!
Reply 9
Original post by mosmof
jesus... stop worrying over absolutely nothing..!

I know I know, I don't think its unreasonable though to try and stay on the right side of the law as much as I can, do you?!
Reply 10
Original post by Lamb.
I know I know, I don't think its unreasonable though to try and stay on the right side of the law as much as I can, do you?!

obviously i dont go running round raping women or smashing windows but im not bothered about having a house party with some 17 year olds :rolleyes:

if you worry like this on the night it will be crap... it'll be fine! :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending