The Student Room Group

A levels for Theology/ Law degrees.

Hello, it's my first post here so please forgive me if I've done something wrong.

I'm in the process of selecting A levels, I'm aiming to study Theology or maybe Law at a top Uni, perhaps Cambridge although it depends.

For those degrees so far I've choosen,

English Lit/Lang
History
Pyschology

I'm looking for one more to take only to A/S that is less of an essay writing subject. However Maths and Sciences aren't my forte.

Bare in mind I've got an A in Philosophy and ethics A/S level that I took in year 11.

Any help would be wonderful!

Ted
Hi Ted and welcome to TSR!

I think your A-Level choices look fine. Remember though that the top Universities will like to see your individual module grades for each subject and some even require it.
Original post by tedwardpowell

Hello, it's my first post here so please forgive me if I've done something wrong.

I'm in the process of selecting A levels, I'm aiming to study Theology or maybe Law at a top Uni, perhaps Cambridge although it depends.

English Lit/Lang
History
Pyschology

I'm looking for one more to take only to A/S that is less of an essay writing subject. However Maths and Sciences aren't my forte.

Bare in mind I've got an A in Philosophy and ethics A/S level that I took in year 11.

Ted

economics would be less of an essay subject but not a science (which you said you didn't enjoy)
just a suggestion :smile:

however if you took theology AS then surely you don't have to take a fourtg subject into year 12 you can just keep all 3 subjects on to A2 then youwould leave school with 3.5 Alevels which is what unis want, just though I'd mention that to you as it would lighten your workload so you could get better grades in your chosen 3

I have a feeling that made no sense but, you get the idea? :lol:
Reply 3
Original post by thatgirlbecky
economics would be less of an essay subject but not a science (which you said you didn't enjoy)
just a suggestion :smile:

however if you took theology AS then surely you don't have to take a fourtg subject into year 12 you can just keep all 3 subjects on to A2 then youwould leave school with 3.5 Alevels which is what unis want, just though I'd mention that to you as it would lighten your workload so you could get better grades in your chosen 3

I have a feeling that made no sense but, you get the idea? :lol:

Wow, actually never thought of that, always thought having the two a/s levels would give me an edge over other students, but never combined that with the knowledge top unis just need 3 A levels, something to think about!

Wow, actually never thought of that, always thought having the two a/s levels would give me an edge over other students, but never combined that with the knowledge top unis just need 3 A levels, something to think about!

just something to consider :smile: sorry I worded it so weirdly, it really doesn't make much sense :lol: however studying 4 subjects in year 12 is perfectly normal so don't feel you have to only do to 3 because you've already got an AS and similarly don't feel any pressure to take 4 as you do already have one :smile: so it's your choice either way.
I would go and speak to a careers person at your school if I were you, they could give you more advice about this as they know you personally and how you work etc :smile:

English Lit/Lang
History
Pyschology

Ted

Do lit it is preferred over language ( and the combined a level) . Also instead of Pyschology I hear for law a subject such as maths is appreciated ( not essential but liked).
Reply 6
Same question here really. I'm in the process of choosing my A-levels and looking to do law at a top Uni. For A-levels, I'm thinking of doing History, French, Economics and Maths. Is this a good mix or would it be better if I did English Lit instead of something? :confused: I'm also looking at either doing a Spanish or Greek GCSE, which do you think would be more beneficial to law?
Help please! Thank you!
Jess
Original post by Jess(:

Original post by Jess(:
Same question here really. I'm in the process of choosing my A-levels and looking to do law at a top Uni. For A-levels, I'm thinking of doing History, French, Economics and Maths. Is this a good mix or would it be better if I did English Lit instead of something? :confused: I'm also looking at either doing a Spanish or Greek GCSE, which do you think would be more beneficial to law?
Help please! Thank you!
Jess

:O sorry if this is a really weird question but.. jess clays - is it you?!
Reply 8
:O sorry if this is a really weird question but.. jess clays - is it you?!

Yeah :L Becky Webb?
Original post by Jess(:

Original post by Jess(:
Yeah :L Becky Webb?

YES! when you said your a-level subjects I thought 'hmm that's like jess' then when I saw the greek/spanish I knew it was you! :lol: especially after I told you about TSR :tongue: I would carry on talking here but maybe not, I'm guessing the thread starter wants an answer rather than our banter :lol:
um, by the way I think your options are fine, history is a strong essay subject, if you think you would enjoy english then do it, it would enhance your application more than economics would, but if you're not going to enjoy it, don't do it :smile:
Reply 10

YES! when you said your a-level subjects I thought 'hmm that's like jess' then when I saw the greek/spanish I knew it was you! :lol: especially after I told you about TSR :tongue: I would carry on talking here but maybe not, I'm guessing the thread starter wants an answer rather than our banter :lol:
um, by the way I think your options are fine, history is a strong essay subject, if you think you would enjoy english then do it, it would enhance your application more than economics would, but if you're not going to enjoy it, don't do it :smile:

Yeah, I don't know, so stressful :/ What does anyone else think? Would english be more beneficial than economics? Thanks!
Original post by Jess(:
Help please! Thank you!
Jess

These are totally fine for Law anywhere. I don't think there's much to choose on the GCSE, go for the one you find more interesting.
Reply 12
Original post by Festina lente
These are totally fine for Law anywhere. I don't think there's much to choose on the GCSE, go for the one you find more interesting.

Good idea, thanks!
Reply 13
Ahhh you make me seem like such a kill joy! I'm delighted at this reunification.

Just a thought Jess, I've heard that Uni's aren't fans of the Law A level?
Reply 14
Ahhh you make me seem like such a kill joy! I'm delighted at this reunification.

Just a thought Jess, I've heard that Uni's aren't fans of the Law A level?

A-level law isn't offered at our school which I was a bit worried about but I've been told it isn't necessary as long as I have a rang of subjects including an essay subject but thanks (:
Original post by Jess(:
A-level law isn't offered at our school which I was a bit worried about but I've been told it isn't necessary as long as I have a rang of subjects including an essay subject but thanks (:

Yup, you're completely fine without Law A-level :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest