Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official 'I'm booked on to the TSR Ski & Snowboard Trip 2012' thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm booked in.

Although this year i think i'm going to try snowboarding since last time I came back from skiing in france it was in a wheelchair.
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Dooooo it!
    I think I'm 100% wanting to go, 60% there on finding the money without screwing myself up for borneo :o:

On a random note, the ski lifts aren't those scary ropes that you grab onto are they?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    I think I'm 100% wanting to go, 60% there on finding the money without screwing myself up for borneo :o:

On a random note, the ski lifts aren't those scary ropes that you grab onto are they?
    It'll be a mixture of those and the chair lifts/gondolas.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:

(Original post by estel)
    It'll be a mixture of those and the chair lifts/gondolas.
    Unfortunately there are a few drag lifts but all the main slopes are served by bubbles, gondolas, chairs or something called 'the lobster pot', don't ask me what that is though?!?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K)
    Unfortunately there are a few drag lifts but all the main slopes are served by bubbles, gondolas, chairs or something called 'the lobster pot', don't ask me what that is though?!?
    Weird...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K)
    I used to work somewhere called The Lobster Pot in Liverpool... it was a fish and chip shop though, so unlikely to be related. :p:

Erm, perhaps this should be a thread for people thinking about booking, and then have a separate thread exclusively for members who have paid their deposit and committed to it?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valjean)
    I used to work somewhere called The Lobster Pot in Liverpool... it was a fish and chip shop though, so unlikely to be related. :p:

Erm, perhaps this should be a thread for people thinking about booking, and then have a separate thread exclusively for members who have paid their deposit and committed to it?
    I was thinking separate groups might be a good idea :yy:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    I was thinking separate groups might be a good idea :yy:
    a list of members going would be good too.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could afford it, not been skiing since 2010 and I'm getting withdrawal!
    Have fun everyone!
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seriously tempted although I haven't been skiing since I was 9 :hmmmm:
    Come on! You can't be as bad as me and Ice Skating *cowers*
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock.and.rose)
    My boyfriend will be there too!
    look forward to seeing him too i'll start skiing with him
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm booked.

If anyone wants skiing hints/tips/general advice then feel free to ask either here or by PM. I'm a Canadian-trained ski instructor, have well over 20-weeks worth of experience across the Alps, Norway and North America.

I'm proof that even geeks can be cool[ish] on occasions
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the grand total so far?

Drewski I'm such a n00b that I wouldn't even know what to ask! F it, I'll learn as I go along...
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I'm booked.

If anyone wants skiing hints/tips/general advice then feel free to ask either here or by PM. I'm a Canadian-trained ski instructor, have well over 20-weeks worth of experience across the Alps, Norway and North America.

I'm proof that even geeks can be cool[ish] on occasions
    Lessons with Drewski booked plz
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the grand total so far?

Drewski I'm such a n00b that I wouldn't even know what to ask! F it, I'll learn as I go along...
    Well, it doesn't need to be directly related to skiing, can be about salopettes, jackets, gloves, socks, thermals, etc etc...

And I don't know off-hand, only a couple so far, but it's still quite early. Wait till the week before the deadline, it'll go mental then
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    Lessons with Drewski booked plz
    I'm not spreading myself too far, I'll take 2 or 3 people, tops. Get more 1-on-1 tuition and should get you out skiing 'properly' within a day or two.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, it doesn't need to be directly related to skiing, can be about salopettes, jackets, gloves, socks, thermals, etc etc...

And I don't know off-hand, only a couple so far, but it's still quite early. Wait till the week before the deadline, it'll go mental then
    They would be pretty good q's actually

I need to get salopettes... what else will I need? and what's less necessary... I don't go too often so don't wana waste cash.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    They would be pretty good q's actually

I need to get salopettes... what else will I need? and what's less necessary... I don't go too often so don't wana waste cash.
    You can hire the stuff you need, but it'll have gone round the houses a bit and won't be that nice...
    Get on ebay and you can find all sorts of bargains if you're not too picky. A pair of salopettes is needed. Ski jacket is less crucial [I mean, could wear almost any kind of warmish waterproof coat without issues, doesn't need to a specific skiing one]. Gloves, again, can pick up some cheap ones without too much drama.
    Only place I would strongly encourage some money being spent is on the ski socks. Don't - for the love of God - get tube socks. Get proper socks, from a company like Smartwool [others are available]. Spend £15 on a pair, maybe 2 and you will reap the benefits.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not spreading myself too far, I'll take 2 or 3 people, tops. Get more 1-on-1 tuition and should get you out skiing 'properly' within a day or two.
    thats a good plan, bagsy a place pl0x re our convo in the box yesterday? :puppyeyes:
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can hire the stuff you need, but it'll have gone round the houses a bit and won't be that nice...
    Get on ebay and you can find all sorts of bargains if you're not too picky. A pair of salopettes is needed. Ski jacket is less crucial [I mean, could wear almost any kind of warmish waterproof coat without issues, doesn't need to a specific skiing one]. Gloves, again, can pick up some cheap ones without too much drama.
    Only place I would strongly encourage some money being spent is on the ski socks. Don't - for the love of God - get tube socks. Get proper socks, from a company like Smartwool [others are available]. Spend £15 on a pair, maybe 2 and you will reap the benefits.
    Ah that's awesome, cheers.

Never thought of ebay tbh, I'll stalk over the next few weeks. Daft question: are salopettes sized same as trousers? Borrowed my friends before so have no idea and don't want to order wrong.

You're gona need your own Q&A thread at this rate...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 22, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.