The Student Room Group

Am I the only one to dislike Ed Sheeran?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jokerofthepack
I just don't like his music.

Nope I do as well never liked.
Don't know him, don't care! :banana:

....Although I care enough to reply to this thread! Ha!
I think he's overrated. I like one or two of his songs.
Reply 63
Can't stand his crooning. AND his songs are mostly meaningless and repetitive. Don't understand the craze about him but it's been pretty subdued for a while I think.

Edit: LOL OP's 3 yrs old haha.
Reply 64
I'm not keen on him either. I don't find his singing or songs anything special tbh.
you were wrong. it's nearly four years down the line and ed has been nominated for a Grammy twice, his album + went platinum in 28 countries, has been on tour with Taylor swift and example, been on a world tour, hosted Saturday night live a few days ago, written the ending song for The Desolation Of Smaug, written the ending credits song for The Fault In Our Stars Movie and has just released a single off of his new album X which goes in sale in June, not to mention the song went to number one in 7 countries within the first day of its release. oh and almost 10 million twitter followers. your point stands alone my friend
Reply 66
Original post by emmawilkins
i think ed sheeran is one of those fad artists, that, six months down the line, people will regret even listening to. the people i know of that like him are the kinds of people that ripped it out of me for what i liked and wore when i was at school, and now are wearing the same things themselves; i.e. the whole penny loafer and peter pan collar dress brigade. chindies, if you know what i mean, so those kind of obvious bandwagon artists don't really interest me at all.

in my experience, the people i've known that are into the arcade fire seem to be these pseudo-virtuosos in all things musical, but i wouldn't say at all that the flaming lips were pretentious, unless you're talking about pseudo-obscure alternative music in general in which case we could just sit here and bash the "indie kids" and "hipsters" all day....

3 years later, at 23 years old....he's won 2 BRIT awards, been nominated for 3 Grammys, won the Ivor Novello award for songwriting, written songs for, worked with and performed next to countless stars, had his debut album certified quadruple platinum, embarked on sold-out arena tours across the world...and still gets his hair cut by his manager's wife and doesn't know how to drive.

Definitely not a fad artist yet, haha. I think he will go far! :smile: Down-to-earth, kind and hard-working guy with barely an ounce of bad press to his name, doesn't seem to be fazed by celeb nonsense despite his fame
I find Ed Sheeran to be very image orientated and not much substance. His music to me is uninspired and he has nothing interesting subject and lyrics wise. There are much better artists that do what he does!
Original post by KJane
I love that song, and the video for Lego House was filmed at my university a couple of weeks ago :biggrin:

Original post by Greeny442
I go to Hertfordshire too! I was quite excited when I saw 'The Forum' sign in the background :P

Waddup Herts Uni people??! :biggrin:
I'm always in the De Hav campus lol, I've only ever been to the forum once :tongue:

Not a massive fan of his but I like his music :smile: I'm more into R & B.
I don't really have a problem with his music, but he admitted to performing at the Olympics closing ceremony whereas I think everyone else kept their mouth shut. He also did a Pink Floyd song which a load of his fans thought was his, perhaps that wasn't his fault that his fans don't know who PF are but it could have been made clearer that it was a cover rather than his original song.
Cannot stand Ed Sheeran

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leon Trotsky
His music makes me feel annoyed. I think it's because he's ginger, for some reason.

I hope not because that's hair-ist. Can't it just be that he's not actually good looking compared to some of the great singers? To me, he has a face that looks like he walked in to a frying pan. He's a fat faced warbler and somewhere a village is missing its idiot.

I can't believe how banal the tastes of people have allowed their musical 'heroes' to become. What is going on in people's heads? The 80s music scene was such a brilliant powerhouse mix of the dark and mysterious, the romantic and upbeat pop rock.

But sometime after Radiohead's Hail to the thief, everyone lost it and you started getting bands with the most stupid of names like 'Bicycle Milk Club'
(I invented that one). What is going on? Did people's heads get infected by the pseduo virus?

Now they've even hijacked Lennon's Real Love to flog John Lewis stuff. How many John Lewis shoppers buying socks for Sebastian truly match Lennon's combination of caustic, humourful wit and tender yet mysterious songwriting?
YES :O Ed is the one.
He's really talented. I don't see why anyone would dislike him.
This week somebody told me he's playing Wembley stadium for 3 nights, insane. So many better singer song writers out there, Frank Turner for example. Popular music seems terrible now, The Courteeners are playing Heaton Park too, mind boggling, I saw them in 2006 supporting Towers of London in front of 40 people they were terrible (and still are) and spent the half an hour getting taunted by the audience.
Reply 75
I actually kinda like him. I think that from "popular music" he is one of the artists I appreciate the most while I hate stuff like Am I wrong, 5SOS, The Vamps, Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande, All about that bass, Sam Smith uggggggggh, etc. I basically despise co-called popular music and it gives me headache but although I admit that Ed Sheeran's music becomes boring to be after 5-10 listens, he is not that bad. And his MV's are mostly very nice (eg. I really really like the one for Thinking Out Loud). But I do know how it feels to hate an artist that everyone just adores.
I don't get what has happened to 'your' generation (me being 36).

The closest you've got to The La's is Jake Bugg.
The closest you've got to The Stone Roses is.. well who?
The closest you've got to REM is... um..
The closest you've got to Oasis is... still making out that you love Oasis above all of the 'older' bands (!)
The closest you've got to The Verve is Coldplay??
The closest you've got to Radiohead is that you overpraise In Rainbows in comparison to Hail to the thief?

And how come you think it's fine to hate Mick Hucknall and Bono? You want to hate the guy who wrote Holding Back The Years just because he went out with loads of models? Is your life that small and petty? Does the soul of that song really not speak to you in any way? Do you actually not understand where it comes from?

The truth is that none of you have that true existentialist pain any more. Or maybe you do - in terms of realising that you can't be as good as what was in the past- so you can only have power of it by making terrible cover versions of classic songs made by apologetic, fat faced people like Ed Sheeran who I wouldn't give a quid to in the street.

How come Ed gets a pass and poor Mick (and Rod Stewart actually) tend to get the mickey taken out of them?

Look at the music of the 1980s- and the videos. Sometimes serious, melancholic, introspective and absolutely never at the expense of an actual tune. Both a critique of and a celebratory of the materialist age. Whether it was a one hit wonder or by someone with a wealth of songs, it was a truly epic period where having fun at the same time was more important than playing a guitar badly - as your generation do- in the name of busker-like 'authenticity'.

Look at the attitude 'your' generation seems to generally have to the 1980s- a bit of kitsch, camp, frivolous party fun. Something that is only given a seal of approval if Glee cover it (!)

I can't remember the last time a number 1 song meant anything to me. Probably around 10 years ago.

I think that the credit crunch crunched your brains. If you listen to the themes and style of the music now it's like it's 1940 all over again. It's all complaining about money. There's no introspective intimacy or abstraction to it- it's like it's all been made for a Glastonbury sing along for people who don't like music but who do like sitting on people's shoulders in Hunter wellies. In the words of George Formby 'Turned out nice again'! No it didn't. People were much cooler in the 80s and 90s- they didn't pretend that the audience was the real star.
There's plenty of people on the planet - chances you are the only one are slim to none.

I think he's a lot better than some of the rubbish we have these days but I'm far from being an obsessed equivalent of "Directioner" or "Belieber". I actually don't know what his equivalent is but he must have one, everyone seems to and it's so cringey!

Can't knock people for doing something they love and getting well paid for it :smile:
Original post by Nogoodsorgods
I don't get what has happened to 'your' generation (me being 36).

The closest you've got to The La's is Jake Bugg.
The closest you've got to The Stone Roses is.. well who?
The closest you've got to REM is... um..
The closest you've got to Oasis is... still making out that you love Oasis above all of the 'older' bands (!)
The closest you've got to The Verve is Coldplay??
The closest you've got to Radiohead is that you overpraise In Rainbows in comparison to Hail to the thief?

And how come you think it's fine to hate Mick Hucknall and Bono? You want to hate the guy who wrote Holding Back The Years just because he went out with loads of models? Is your life that small and petty? Does the soul of that song really not speak to you in any way? Do you actually not understand where it comes from?

The truth is that none of you have that true existentialist pain any more. Or maybe you do - in terms of realising that you can't be as good as what was in the past- so you can only have power of it by making terrible cover versions of classic songs made by apologetic, fat faced people like Ed Sheeran who I wouldn't give a quid to in the street.

How come Ed gets a pass and poor Mick (and Rod Stewart actually) tend to get the mickey taken out of them?

Look at the music of the 1980s- and the videos. Sometimes serious, melancholic, introspective and absolutely never at the expense of an actual tune. Both a critique of and a celebratory of the materialist age. Whether it was a one hit wonder or by someone with a wealth of songs, it was a truly epic period where having fun at the same time was more important than playing a guitar badly - as your generation do- in the name of busker-like 'authenticity'.

Look at the attitude 'your' generation seems to generally have to the 1980s- a bit of kitsch, camp, frivolous party fun. Something that is only given a seal of approval if Glee cover it (!)

I can't remember the last time a number 1 song meant anything to me. Probably around 10 years ago.

I think that the credit crunch crunched your brains. If you listen to the themes and style of the music now it's like it's 1940 all over again. It's all complaining about money. There's no introspective intimacy or abstraction to it- it's like it's all been made for a Glastonbury sing along for people who don't like music but who do like sitting on people's shoulders in Hunter wellies. In the words of George Formby 'Turned out nice again'! No it didn't. People were much cooler in the 80s and 90s- they didn't pretend that the audience was the real star.

So wrong on so many levels. Listen to some more music. Ed Sheeran is barely a serious singer-songwriter just a pop singer. You sound like an angry old man that's taking a select few pop songs and assuming they are super serious and not just fun tracks. Check out Sun Kil Moon, PJ Harvey, Fiona Apple, King Krule, James Blake, Frank Ocean, Bon Iver, Baths, Animal Collective, Titus Andronicus, Vampire Weekend, LCD Soundsystem, Run The Jewels etc etc etc. Stop being a misinformed bitch. No one gives a **** about Glee only people who complain about them and think Justin Bieber ruined music.
Original post by lasagne.killer
So wrong on so many levels. Listen to some more music. Ed Sheeran is barely a serious singer-songwriter just a pop singer. You sound like an angry old man that's taking a select few pop songs and assuming they are super serious and not just fun tracks. Check out Sun Kil Moon, PJ Harvey, Fiona Apple, King Krule, James Blake, Frank Ocean, Bon Iver, Baths, Animal Collective, Titus Andronicus, Vampire Weekend, LCD Soundsystem, Run The Jewels etc etc etc. Stop being a misinformed bitch. No one gives a **** about Glee only people who complain about them and think Justin Bieber ruined music.

If I have no pressing emotional desire or intellectual reason to change my mind then I have no reason to. That doesn't make me an angry old man. I know that there are many much older than me who would happily go along with that you say because, frankly, they were never that interested in music in the first place to know otherwise so they'd rather say what will make them look a bit younger.

The artists I like happen to be both intellectual (on some level although they need not make a big thing of it) and write massively catchy songs. e.g. Pink Floyd, Kate Bush, Radiohead, Pulp, The Verve.

None of them were ever seeming to try to appeal to a brand of 'Oh ya Glarstonbury's supah isn't it' crowd.

I am massively positive that, if any of the aforementioned people die, there will be real heavyweights - and a huge cross section of the public- saying that they mourn them. As opposed to Jo Whiley and some dick in a tartan shirt if any of your acts do.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest