The Student Room Group

What Benefits does Islam have on British Society?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by py0alb
It's not charity if you have to do it.

In the same vein, if I have to threaten you with punishment so that you'll be a good boy, then you're not being virtuous, you're just a coward.

Hence the reason athiests are more moral than religious people. Because we know we could easily get away with being 'orrible *****, but we're nice anyway.

It's obligatory so that people do not get stingy and hoard all their wealth so that others may not prosper.

In fact, Zakaat would literally take the place of welfare. A bit like the government tax which goes to the poor. :smile:
OK so Muslims have this thing called the Zakaat, so what?

We have this thing in the west called foreign aid, which is collected through a thing we call "tax". I don't see how this other system is beneficial, when we already have something like that in place already.

Although I'm atheist, I don't like religion, however I do agree there are good things in them. So in my opinion, pick the good **** out of it and throw away the stuff the majority of people disagree with.
Reply 182
Original post by Bishy786
It's obligatory so that people do not get stingy and hoard all their wealth so that others may not prosper.

In fact, Zakaat would literally take the place of welfare. A bit like the government tax which goes to the poor. :smile:

Surely if they were virtuous people, then that would not be a problem?
Reply 183
Original post by py0alb
Surely if they were virtuous people, then that would not be a problem?

Let's say a Muslim investment banker earns £1 million a year. Do you really think that in the course of a year, he will be able to donate £25,000 to poor people. He may but it is unlikely as he is an investment banker so he will think of ways to invest that money and get higher returns while claiming that the more he makes from the £25,000, the more money goes to charity.

Further, this Zakaat "tax" is obligatory as the whole concept of Islam will fail if one brother did not look out for his poorer brother. This creates brotherhood/sisterhood. It means that no Muslim in the world would go hungry if each person payed their Zakaat. But in reality, this does not happen but at the end of the day, only fear of Allah will make people pay.
No benefits anywhere, no intelligence it should be a religion for the moon, because as i say there are no "intelligence" there.
Reply 185
Original post by MasterPotatoHead
I think it's made Britain one of the greatest multicultural nations on the earth.
Also, with all the hate and anti-Islam going on, we're still able to find really kind-hearted people and more logical thinkers, which to me is what the world is all about :smile:

And being 'multicultural' has stopped all our problems has it? It's given us a stronger economy, brought crime down??
Reply 186
It creates a lot of jobs at the security services :smile:

And it creates a sense of excitement on things like public transport etc

This is why Ahmadiyyas cannot be taken seriously. They are raising money for soldiers who are killing our brothers and sisters in muslim lands??? WTF.. I don't hate the British soldiers, but I wouldn't exactly fundraise for them either.
Reply 188
So basically nothing special then.
Reply 189
Original post by Msab
Historically:
1.Many early scientific and mathematical breakthroughs
2.The numbers you use
3.Islam played a large part in the renaissance
4.It is very likely that English law has its origins in, or at least was largely influenced by, Islamic law.
5.the 400,000 indian Muslims who fought on the British side in world war 1

Modern:
1.Charity - many officials from non-muslim charities are often envious at the numbers of young volunteers Islamic charities attract. There have been many Islamic initiatives for helping the homeless etc.
2.Food :smile:
3.Muslims tend to be the ones who initiate inter-faith/non-faith dialogues. Most of the debates and discussions between x religion or atheism and islam are organised by a Muslim organisation. Furthermore most mosques have tours, talks and meetings for non-muslims. Hence bringing communities closer together.
4.Family values. I feel Britain is loosing it's family values, and many people don't keep in touch with many of their relatives, but this is something that you don't find as often in Muslim families.
5.Islamic finance provides a serious alternative to the mainstream banking, quite a lot of non-Muslims have have Shariah accounts either in Islamic banks or the Islamic departments of other banks (ie HSBC Amanah).
6.How many Muslim doctors have you seen? Now consider that Islam makes up less than 5% of the country.
7.Muslims contribute a lot to the economy, being the most self-employed demographic
8.Everything that any other religion/ideology/group contributes. Teachers, politicians, policemen etc. Like it or not, every group contributes

Of course, MUSLIMS (not Islam) in the UK do have many faults, as do any group of people. For example, I would love to see them integrate more. Although, this is probably cultural, as you tend not to have a separate Muslim community, but Pakistani, African etc communities. Also, Muslims in the UK really need to start supporting non-Muslim causes. The Prophet (SAW) said that if anyone was working towards justice, he would join them no matter who they were. Unfortunately many Muslims are very active with issues such as Palestine and Iraq, but are not as vocal when non Muslims are involved. Of course, these are issues with Muslims and not Islam, but I feel it is important to mention anyway.

You wise, wise person, thank you
Reply 190
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
This is why Ahmadiyyas cannot be taken seriously. They are raising money for soldiers who are killing our brothers and sisters in muslim lands??? WTF.. I don't hate the British soldiers, but I wouldn't exactly fundraise for them either.

The money raised doesn't directly goes to the soldiers fighting today only. It goes to their families and those who fought in WW1 and WW2 and their families and helps ex-soldiers get back to normal lives. A charity is a charity.

Plus what Ahmadis are doing is actually giving a good name to Islam unlike those who burn poppies - there's no need for that. Ahmadis also raise money for various other charities as well.

Also it's not the fault of the soldiers who are killing our brothers, it is the fault of politicians. Also it is the fault of Muslim leaders, if they just got united and fought the invaders and helped Iraq then we (the Muslim world) wouldn't be in this mess.

Saudis have a big role to play in this as well. They are the ones who are specifically funding and actively helping the west to go and bomb their own Muslim brothers, what fools!
Original post by tif49
The money raised doesn't directly goes to the soldiers fighting today only. It goes to their families and those who fought in WW1 and WW2 and their families and helps ex-soldiers get back to normal lives. A charity is a charity.

Plus what Ahmadis are doing is actually giving a good name to Islam unlike those who burn poppies - there's no need for that. Ahmadis also raise money for various other charities as well.

Also it's not the fault of the soldiers who are killing our brothers, it is the fault of politicians. Also it is the fault of Muslim leaders, if they just got united and fought the invaders and helped Iraq then we (the Muslim world) wouldn't be in this mess.

Saudis have a big role to play in this as well. They are the ones who are specifically funding and actively helping the west to go and bomb their own Muslim brothers, what fools!

I KNOW it goes to WW1 and WW2 soldiers as well. BUT a percentage STILL goes to current soldiers (in fact a higher percentage goes to current soldiers, but thats not my point). And I KNOW the money raised doesn't help the soldiers to fight Muslims, all it does is help injured soldiers return to normal lives, but this is STILL wrong. By donating to the poppy appeal, your helping an enemy of Islam.. your helping people who fought against Muslims.. (do note I don't agree with the Taliban, but thats another topic)..

''Plus what Ahmadis are doing is actually giving a good name to Islam unlike those who burn poppies''<< Are you being forreal? You support mass-scale terrorism, and simultaneously denounce those who stand up against it? And Ahmadiyass claim to be Muslim. SMH

Also those who are burning poppies might be giving Islam a ''bad name'' but they are FULLY right. If invading another country under false pretences is not terrorism then I do not know what is. And please don't play that game, ''its not the fault of the soldiers who are killing our brothers'', whose fault is it then? Who pulls the trigger? Who decided to join the army? Is there conscription in the UK? Thought so... And yes many Muslim leaders including Saudi ones are to be blamed, but thats irrelevant. Why does that mean you have to support the army against everyday Muslims?
Reply 192
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
I KNOW it goes to WW1 and WW2 soldiers as well. BUT a percentage STILL goes to current soldiers (in fact a higher percentage goes to current soldiers, but thats not my point). And I KNOW the money raised doesn't help the soldiers to fight Muslims, all it does is help injured soldiers return to normal lives, but this is STILL wrong. By donating to the poppy appeal, your helping an enemy of Islam.. your helping people who fought against Muslims.. (do note I don't agree with the Taliban, but thats another topic)..

''Plus what Ahmadis are doing is actually giving a good name to Islam unlike those who burn poppies''<< Are you being forreal? You support mass-scale terrorism, and simultaneously denounce those who stand up against it? And Ahmadiyass claim to be Muslim. SMH

Also those who are burning poppies might be giving Islam a ''bad name'' but they are FULLY right. If invading another country under false pretences is not terrorism then I do not know what is. And please don't play that game, ''its not the fault of the soldiers who are killing our brothers'', whose fault is it then? Who pulls the trigger? Who decided to join the army? Is there conscription in the UK? Thought so... And yes many Muslim leaders including Saudi ones are to be blamed, but thats irrelevant. Why does that mean you have to support the army against everyday Muslims?

The poppy appeal existed long before the current wars. It's a charity at the end of the day, doesn't matter who it is for, it is charity. Does the Qur'an not teach about charity?

And no, the poppy burners are not right, they are wrong, no where in Islam are you allowed to offend people in this way. Poppy is a symbol of peace and hope.

Ahmadis are fully justified in selling poppies just as they collect for NSPCC among all the other British charities. Ahmadis don't condone what is happening in the Muslim countries but poppies are more of a remembrance of WW2 than anything, it has little relevance to today's wars.
They have some good practices, ie the whole "peace" thing and pushing your children to succeed. In my opinion thiscan be dealt with in a bad way, but the goal has some substance.
Reply 194
Original post by callan

Original post by callan
I dont really see any benefit from islam in british society, more of friction caused by eastern traditions.
I think followers of Hinduism and Sihkism are more for the community, and are generally friendly and dont try to change british society.

Definitely agree with the second point. Hindus in particular are happy to practice their faith alone, without a fuss.
None whatsoever. Religion has no benefit on society whatsoever. Doesn't matter what religion, what society. It's all a load of *******s followed by people who refuse to accent the logic that is the big bang.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending