The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Interview dress code, jeans are ok?

Scroll to see replies

Just try and look like you've made an effort to look neat and tidy. Like someone already said, it's more about respect than anything else.

If you own a suit/smart trousers, it won't do any harm to wear that. To be honest, at any interview I've been to, almost everyone has dressed quite formally even if the dress code says smart casual.

If you don't own suit trousers and don't really want to buy them, then don't worry about it. Jeans are probably fine too.

To be on the safe side and to give the interviewers the impression that you're taking the opportunity really seriously, I'd advise wearing smart clothes anyway. Pick something you're comfortable in- whether that's a suit or jeans, a smart shirt and smart shoes or whatever is up to you.

If they've specified that you don't have to dress too formally, then the interviewers probably won't care what you're wearing but just make the best effort you can.

Also, if you turn up there dressed casually and everyone else is dressed smartly, it might make you uncomfortable/put you off before you go into the interview though if you're dressed more formally than everyone else, then it won't really do any harm.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by threeportdrift
Smart casual doesn't include jeans. Jeans are strictly 'casual' when you are in an environment that has dress codes.

Having said that, universities are about the only occasion I can think of (maybe readings for actors?) where there is usually no dress code.

It can include jeans. The important thing is that you at don't go in jeans t-shirt and trainers. Jeans and a shirt with a collar will be fine.
Reply 42
Original post by limetang
It can include jeans. The important thing is that you at don't go in jeans t-shirt and trainers. Jeans and a shirt with a collar will be fine.

If we are formally talking about 'Smart Casual' here then, no, Smart Casual NEVER includes jeans. It also does not include sneakers.

The least you should wear to be dressed in a smart casual way, IMO, are chinos, loafers and a dress shirt; a sport coat and tie are optional, though recommended. (Note that a sport coat is more casual than a blue blazer or a suit jacket).
Reply 43
A University interview is probably one of the few where you are likely not be judged on your appearance. Academics are not shop/business managers and themselves are more-often-than-not dressed casually.

Having said that, if a suit (or any other combination) makes you feel confident/comfortable, by all means ...
I have a college interview on Tuesday it may seem a dumb question, but I have an interview for uniformed services would I be able to wear balck skinny jeans?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending