The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aula
Jesus turned water into wine.
Also, wine for communion must contain alcohol.

Basically, drinking is fine, alcoholism is not. Drunkeness is iffy.

But of course it ceases to be wine at the words of consecration.
Original post by yawn
I see you've inveigled your way into getting people to respond to you despite being a non-believer.

Get behind me satan...and go back to your atheist society! :biggrin:

AthSoc is boring. Is 'get behind me Satan' a real saying? I just thought it was the name of a White Stripes record. :erm:
Original post by Addzter
AthSoc is boring. Is 'get behind me Satan' a real saying? I just thought it was the name of a White Stripes record. :erm:

Well maybe go liven it up to suit your needs then? :dontknow:
Original post by Addzter

Yes. Jesus said it to Peter when Peter said that Christ shouldn't sacrifice Himself.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well maybe go liven it up to suit your needs then? :dontknow:

Maybe I just converted to Catholicism. :colonhash:
Original post by Addzter
Maybe I just converted to Catholicism. :colonhash:

Somehow I doubt that :biggrin:
I'm doing so :love:
Reply 2287
Original post by adamrules247

But of course it ceases to be wine at the words of consecration.

Well yes... of course,
but the wine that is used to be consecrated must be alcoholic.

So my father met my priest yesterday, and my priest said that it's been lovely having me in Cathsoc for the last 4 years, but then he started laughing. Now I'm not quite sure what to think :erm:
(other than the fact that I'm going to miss it :frown:)
Original post by Aula

So my father met my priest yesterday, and my priest said that it's been lovely having me in Cathsoc for the last 4 years, but then he started laughing. Now I'm not quite sure what to think :erm:

He probably just has good and amusing memories of your times in the pub and going clubbing, that's all! Am sure it's nothing bad :smile:
Reply 2289

He probably just has good and amusing memories of your times in the pub and going clubbing, that's all! Am sure it's nothing bad :smile:

Oh I'm sure too. It's more the fact that the laughing was almost giggling. I could imagine him doing the :mmm: face.
Original post by Aula
Well yes... of course,
but the wine that is used to be consecrated must be alcoholic.

I'm sure you'll be fine in the big world (and your Cath Soc chums will be friends for life :h: ) Have you had any news on your internship (at the youth retreat centre, see I remembered :woo: ) Just out of interest with the friends you made in your Cath Soc in the the first year, in the second year did you, with those friends, all rent a house together?

I'm a tad worried, I think God has just put the idea of Uni of Reading in my path, to get in through clearing. However they appear to have no Cath Soc and only a lay Chaplin (a seemingly German woman), however, they do have a Tridentine Mass at one of the local Churches.
I'm sure you'll be fine in the big world (and your Cath Soc chums will be friends for life :h: ) Have you had any news on your internship (at the youth retreat centre, see I remembered :woo: ) Just out of interest with the friends you made in your Cath Soc in the the first year, in the second year did you, with those friends, all rent a house together?

I'm a tad worried, I think God has just put the idea of Uni of Reading in my path, to get in through clearing. However they appear to have no Cath Soc and only a lay Chaplin (a seemingly German woman), however, they do have a Tridentine Mass at one of the local Churches.

Maybe God wants you to start a Cath Soc there? :dontknow: :smile:
Maybe God wants you to start a Cath Soc there? :dontknow: :smile:

Oh I shouldn't think so :colondollar: I'm not really cut out for that sort of thing. And when I arrive I will have only been a Catholic for a matter of months :eek3:
Reply 2293

Yeah, I'm sure I will be, I'm just going to miss 'em is all. Nope, no news since the e-mail confirming my place.
No, I didn't, I lived with friends from college.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for you to get involved in setting one up. Perhaps that's why you've had the idea of Reading put in your mind.

Although, having said that and having had a quick google, they do have a chaplaincy, which appears to be fairly busy. (They seem to have more events than Durham)
http://www.reading.ac.uk/chaplaincy/catholic/index.html <-- In case you've not found it.
Original post by Aula
Yeah, I'm sure I will be, I'm just going to miss 'em is all. Nope, no news since the e-mail confirming my place.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for you to get involved in setting one up. Perhaps that's why you've had the idea of Reading put in your mind.

Although, having said that and having had a quick google, they do have a chaplaincy, which appears to be fairly busy. (They seem to have more events than Durham)
http://www.reading.ac.uk/chaplaincy/catholic/index.html <-- In case you've not found it.

Hmm, well see. Yes, I've seen the chaplaincy page. I think many of the events are 'cross Christianity' ones (not that I have a problem with that!). I think i'll email the chaplain. I'm also worried that Reading, as a parish, doesn't appear to have a regular priest and only ones that visit (they have different priests every Sunday)
Just emailed the way Chaplain at Reading :eek4:
Original post by Aula

Out of curiosity what his the difference between a chaplaincy and a Catholic society ? In my school Christian society = chaplaincy, so I don't quite get the difference ^^.
Just emailed the way Chaplain at Reading :eek4:

Good on you! It's always good to be proactive and try and follow your interests :smile:

Is it a good History course at Reading? :smile:
Original post by LysFromParis
Out of curiosity what his the difference between a chaplaincy and a Catholic society ? In my school Christian society = chaplaincy, so I don't quite get the difference ^^.

Umm, I think that a society is independent of the Chaplaincy and run just for students. I may be wrong though, I'd ask Alua.

Alua

xxx

See above. You can probably clarify it :colondollar:

Good on you! It's always good to be proactive and try and follow your interests :smile:

Is it a good History course at Reading? :smile:

Umm, appears to be; I think. T'is a little ambiguous though. But the Uni is nice, it's in a nice area, it's a good academic institution and it's A LOT closer to home than Dundee. I need to think and pray on it more though.
Reply 2299

Umm, I think that a society is independent of the Chaplaincy and run just for students. I may be wrong though, I'd ask Alua.

See above. You can probably clarify it :colondollar:

Umm... I think so. The chaplaincy'll be a more official place, run by the chaplain, whereas the society is more run by the students. The two are often interlinked, as in Durham, where the chaplain is a position within the society, but he also has a place outside the society. The rest of the positions are elected and held by the students.

Umm, appears to be; I think. T'is a little ambiguous though. But the Uni is nice, it's in a nice area, it's a good academic institution and it's A LOT closer to home than Dundee. I need to think and pray on it more though.

I'm sure you'll make the decision that's right for you :yy:

Quick Reply