The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

My copy of Chicken Soup for the Soul: Living Catholic Faith has arrived :woo: Some lovely stories in there :yep:

How is everyone today? :smile:
I'm good! Hope you guys are too. Survived parents' evening last night and a performance review with senior management this morning. Very tired now, but it is Friday tomorrow! My parish priest also replied very supportively to my email about how I'm finding it difficult to attend during term time. I always feel so guilty even though I know that I can't manage it most of the time - especially this term.
Original post by Arcane Barn Elk
I'm good! Hope you guys are too. Survived parents' evening last night and a performance review with senior management this morning. Very tired now, but it is Friday tomorrow! My parish priest also replied very supportively to my email about how I'm finding it difficult to attend during term time. I always feel so guilty even though I know that I can't manage it most of the time - especially this term.

Really glad your parish priest is being supportive. I imagine by the time the weekend comes, you just want to collapse in bed. Well done for surviving parents' evening and the performance review! Sounds like a very busy week! :yes:
Original post by adamrules247
See actually your opening statement shows to me someone who has the makings of a saint. How do we become saints, by admitting our own inequity, what you've just done, in a very honest way. So it's not an insult at all :smile:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm with Adam here. You know your faults and admit to them. So many people don't ever actually get to that stage :hugs:

Admitting them & doing something about them are two different things however; and the first is easy.

Weirdly found myself humming a hymn that I can't remember the words to earlier, which was weird. Normally I might take that as a good sign however I also yesterday told a Mormon who tried to convert me on the street that I would get the Pope to slap him if he didn't stop following me. So probably not quite off the escalator to hell just yet.
Original post by History-Student
Admitting them & doing something about them are two different things however; and the first is easy.

Weirdly found myself humming a hymn that I can't remember the words to earlier, which was weird. Normally I might take that as a good sign however I also yesterday told a Mormon who tried to convert me on the street that I would get the Pope to slap him if he didn't stop following me. So probably not quite off the escalator to hell just yet.

The first isn't as easy as you may think.

What stops you from doing something about it? :smile:

Christian preachers on the street are either amusing or annoying. Or both :console:
Original post by jammiebreadman
Who actually remembered not to eat meat last Friday? I forgot :'(

I remembered. It's sometimes quite a challenge trying to find something that's not meat to eat :yep:

haha guys im vegetarian, what should i give up? i tried going early morning mass on friday but cannt guarantee i will have the time to always do it.

also, anyone got any advide on praying the rosary? how often do you? why do you? i know i need to but am struggling. i lose track and get distracted or sleep. and i get confused over the myseteries. and i only really like the joyful and luminous ones.

Christian preachers on the street are either amusing or annoying. Or both :console:

i dont see any catholic ones. and when i see them, they notice i am brown skinned latino and assume i am muslim so try to convert me. then i ask them about their flawed pentecostal faith, and they have no answers. tis funny but sad.
Original post by shinytoy
haha guys im vegetarian, what should i give up? i tried going early morning mass on friday but cannt guarantee i will have the time to always do it.

also, anyone got any advide on praying the rosary? how often do you? why do you? i know i need to but am struggling. i lose track and get distracted or sleep. and i get confused over the myseteries. and i only really like the joyful and luminous ones.

Mass is a great idea! If you can't do Mass then maybe the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy or giving up something you love like chocolate.

On praying the Rosary I can give some advice as I soemtimes have the same problem. Firstly I'll give you the advice that Fr. Stephen Wang (teaches at Allen Hall seminary) gave me. The secret of the secret of the Rosary is to say just one decade if that's all you can do. Other advice is to maybe read some relevant scripture before each Mystery, pray with pictures of the Mystery, focus more on the fruits of the Mystery and look at how they relate to your everyday life. My favourite Mysteries are the Glorious ones :h:
Original post by History-Student

Well yes they are, but so many people never even get to the stage of admitting their own iniquities so it's a huge step. Maybe look at going to Confession, and if you don't really believe in it then maybe just speaking to a priest about it. TBH I probably would have debated him on the topic, ho hum. Mormons are ever so slightly strange though.

My copy of Chicken Soup for the Soul: Living Catholic Faith has arrived :woo: Some lovely stories in there :yep:

How is everyone today? :smile:

:woo: I'm pretty knackered to be fair. I got some important uni stuff done which it good though :smile:
i dont see any catholic ones. and when i see them, they notice i am brown skinned latino and assume i am muslim so try to convert me. then i ask them about their flawed pentecostal faith, and they have no answers. tis funny but sad.

No Catholic ones. Try this :biggrin:

And I've met the Monk in this video (and friended him on Facebook). Very clever bloke. Got two Oxford degrees.

I don't do the rosary as often as I should but I like to do it once in a while. I pray it as a means of petition/intercession either for myself or for someone who needs prayers. It makes me feel like I'm doing something :smile: Have you tried doing it along with someone else or with a podcast? I've found doing it with a podcast has helped me more :smile:

My favourite is the joyful too :five:

True: I don't think I've ever seen Catholic preachers on the streets :nah:
I don't do the rosary as often as I should but I like to do it once in a while. I pray it as a means of petition/intercession either for myself or for someone who needs prayers. It makes me feel like I'm doing something :smile: Have you tried doing it along with someone else or with a podcast? I've found doing it with a podcast has helped me more :smile:

My favourite is the joyful too :five:

True: I don't think I've ever seen Catholic preachers on the streets :nah:

Glorious mysteries FTW.

Look above. Not a preacher though they did have people giving out information cards and explaining what was happening.
Just a random group hug for everyone :ahee:

Aw, thanks Adam! Glad to hear you're getting important uni stuff done. How's it all going? :smile:
Mass is a great idea! If you can't do Mass then maybe the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy or giving up something you love like chocolate.

On praying the Rosary I can give some advice as I soemtimes have the same problem. Firstly I'll give you the advice that Fr. Stephen Wang (teaches at Allen Hall seminary) gave me. The secret of the secret of the Rosary is to say just one decade if that's all you can do. Other advice is to maybe read some relevant scripture before each Mystery, pray with pictures of the Mystery, focus more on the fruits of the Mystery and look at how they relate to your everyday life. My favourite Mysteries are the Glorious ones :h:

thanks! can you recommend any good images? ive tried reading the scriptures, but i do it on the train or while walking or in bed so dont always have the bible to hand. also, i can never envisage the glorious ones! have you read St Louis De Monfort Sectret of the Rosary? it is epic and inspitational, not too long either.

Just a random group hug for everyone :ahee:
right back at ya :wink:

thanks! can you recommend any good images? ive tried reading the scriptures, but i do it on the train or while walking or in bed so dont always have the bible to hand. also, i can never envisage the glorious ones! have you read St Louis De Monfort Sectret of the Rosary? it is epic and inspitational, not too long either.

I good thing then with the scriptures matter would be a small Rosary prayer card (the folding ones) which give you small scriputre readings to focus upon. On pictures, if you have an iPhone there's an excellent app called the rosary app which provides art work for you to look at. Other than that if you google each of the mysteries you should be able to get a picture. I love the Glorious ones, it shows the victory of Christ in His rising from the dead and rising to Heaven, shows the victory of the Church because we know it can never fail while guided by the Holy Spirit and shows the victory of Our Blessed Lady. Show's how the woman who always said "yes" to God gets her reward. No, it's a book I've been told to read and I will buy it one day. Not at the moment though as I've just blown £50 on two books for university.

EDIT: What do you think of the video then?
Oh been meaning to post this as well. It's a new series about to be shown in the USA made by the Catholic priest and philosopher Fr. Robert Barron. Enjoy :awesome:

(edited 12 years ago)
Agent Smirnoff
:party:

:hi: You're in Ealing, right? If so then this might be your Parish Church, and a Benedictine Abbey as well! Lucky for some! As you see they have a Youth section which includes a Post Confirmation Class and a Young Adult (18-35) group. Community is, to my mind, one of the most (but not the most important) part of the Church and this looks like the sort of place where you should get it. Plus the Benedictines are rock-stars to my mind!

Plus they have exposition of the Blessed Sacrament which is so, SO important! Get involved with that if you feel comfortable :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

:hi: You're in Ealing, right? If so then this might be your Parish Church, and a Benedictine Abbey as well! Lucky for some! As you see they have a Youth section which includes a Post Confirmation Class and a Young Adult (18-35) group. Community is, to my mind, one of the most (but not the most important) part of the Church and this looks like the sort of place where you should get it. Plus the Benedictines are rock-stars to my mind!

Plus they have exposition of the Blessed Sacrament which is so, SO important! Get involved with that if you feel comfortable :smile:

yup. :yep:

I live in a part of Ealing that is quite wierd........ I may well come under that Parish as I live quite close to there but I am also said to be in the Hanwell Parish of Our Lady and St Joseph (or something like that)

But I tend to go to St Peters and St Pauls (Northfields) because I once lived in that Parish, but I am open to different (more local places)

Did you live in Ealing before? :smile:

It's a nice place. :moon:

Thanks for all that stuff Adam.
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
yup. :yep:

I live in a part of Ealing that is quite wierd........ I may well come under that Parish as I live quite close to there but I am also said to be in the Hanwell Parish of Our Lady and St Joseph (or something like that)

But I tend to go to St Peters and St Pauls (Northfields) because I once lived in that Parish, but I am open to different (more local places)

Did you live in Ealing before? :smile:

It's a nice place. :moon:

Thanks for all that stuff Adam.

Nope, I live in Dundee (though I'm English and in no way, shape or form Scottish).

Both Parishes look pretty good (both have at least three priests!) but if it were me personally I'd go to the Benedictine Parish simply because of the beautiful Church. It's also possible that because it is an older Church they'll have confessional boxes :yep:

Hope all the stuff helps you. And stick around in here if you want to grow in the Faith we're small and like a real community :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending