The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rac1
its just the only other Catholic person I have day to day week to week contact with is my mum:frown: sooo glad this thread exists!:biggrin:

UPDATE: YOUCAT came today love to read the whole thing. Two tiny little christians criticisms though Pope Benedict says in the foreword part of which is printed on the inside cover that 'It [this book] will not make your life easy' and it's like oh that is encouraging:eek: obviously I don't expect a book to make my life easy! I also wish it was a bit less expensive:redface:

rant over!

:console: Well we're very glad to have you in this thread :biggrin:

You know the bit in the YouTube clip where the girls keep going "i'll pray for you!" in a sombre tone? That is SOOOO me. Also the quick move from discerning religious life vocation not deciding not to become a nun :rofl:
Original post by ScholarsInk
I was reading Belloc and I stumbled across this gem. Thought this group might appreciate it. :smile:

I'm not Catholic but who in his right mind can deny the brilliance of Chesterbelloc?

I'm more familiar with Chesterton than Belloc but they're both awesome :biggrin:
Original post by adamrules247
I'm more familiar with Chesterton than Belloc but they're both awesome :biggrin:

I found out recently that Christopher Hitchens's last piece was a hit-job on Chesterton.

For all his supposed rhetorical prowess, I do wish I could see he and Dawkins try to take on Belloc and Chesterton. They'd fall harder than HG Wells did!
I found out recently that Christopher Hitchens's last piece was a hit-job on Chesterton.

For all his supposed rhetorical prowess, I do wish I could see he and Dawkins try to take on Belloc and Chesterton. They'd fall harder than HG Wells did!

Yes I read his last piece. A wonderful counter piece compared it to the whale hunter in Mobey Dick having one last "spit" and then being dragged down. Indeed that said final piece was full of holes, it misrepresented many of Chesterton's positions and indeed, sadly, made some strange assertions (such as the Chesteron's paradox on conservatism being his most famous, when it's far from that). It was a shame really that he chose his last piece before his death to be one full of wholes and spitting poisen. A shame.
Reply 4124
I was reading Belloc and I stumbled across this gem. Thought this group might appreciate it. :smile:

I'm not Catholic but who in his right mind can deny the brilliance of Chesterbelloc?

thanks! I've got it on a sticky note lol:smile:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:console: Well we're very glad to have you in this thread :biggrin:

You know the bit in the YouTube clip where the girls keep going "i'll pray for you!" in a sombre tone? That is SOOOO me. Also the quick move from discerning religious life vocation not deciding not to become a nun :rofl:

thankyou:smile:
sometimes for a few years the pull to be a nun feels really strong but about 60% of the time I don't think about it.:five:

I'd love to join in the literature debate but i dunno anything!:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rac1

I don't know much either, other than Belloc and Chesterton were contemporaries/good friends with my great-great-uncle (not sure I inserted enough greats, lol) :yes:
Original post by rac1

Oh I don't know anything about anything. That's probably why I like Belloc so much - he wrote On Nothing! :smile:

Not a debate at all. Just partaking in the words of one of this country's greatest modern men of letters. :smile:

I've become sort of addicted to this recording of his Tarantella and Ha'nacker Mill (which is at 1:43 in the recording below). So haunting! Like the voice of England past come to pull us back.

I don't know much either, other than Belloc and Chesterton were contemporaries/good friends with my great-great-uncle (not sure I inserted enough greats, lol) :yes:

Wow! That's really, really cool!

Did he know Belloc when "has grown a splendid white beard and in his cloak, which with his hat he wore indoors and always, he seemed an archimandrite. He talked incessantly, proclaiming with great clarity the grievances of forty years ago”? (from Evelyn Waugh's diary)

Once I read that description, I had to find a photo and ah! Could this be of anything but a writer? At some point I need to be like that (though with my cane substituted for the pipe :smile:) I already have the beard! (It's still black though. :frown:)

belloc+older.jpg

Did he know Belloc when "has grown a splendid white beard and in his cloak, which with his hat he wore indoors and always, he seemed an archimandrite. He talked incessantly, proclaiming with great clarity the grievances of forty years ago”? (from Evelyn Waugh's diary)

Once I read that description, I had to find a photo and ah! Could this be of anything but a writer? At some point I need to be like that (though with my cane substituted for the pipe :smile:) I already have the beard! (It's still black though. :frown:)

belloc+older.jpg

I'm not too sure when exactly he knew them. All I know is that they were good friends (great-great uncle was a famous writer in Sri Lanka :yes: ) :yes:
I'm not too sure when exactly he knew them. All I know is that they were good friends (great-great uncle was a famous writer in Sri Lanka :yes: ) :yes:

I just wanted an excuse to share that epic photo. :biggrin:
I just wanted an excuse to share that epic photo. :biggrin:

Tiz indeed pretty epic :awesome:
Reply 4130
Oh I don't know anything about anything. That's probably why I like Belloc so much - he wrote On Nothing! :smile:

Not a debate at all. Just partaking in the words of one of this country's greatest modern men of letters. :smile:

I've become sort of addicted to this recording of his Tarantella and Ha'nacker Mill (which is at 1:43 in the recording below). So haunting! Like the voice of England past come to pull us back.

belloc+older.jpg

Thankyou so much, makes you shiver doesn't it. I like the first one best I think.:smile:
Had to look up what an Archimandrite was

interesting:yes:
Reply 4131
St George's day today:smile:
Original post by rac1
St George's day today:smile:

Indeed! Happy St George's Day to all the English folk in here! :smile:
Is there such a thing as a great funeral?

My Uncle Gerard was taken into church tonight and it was almost amazing (apart from the cirucmstances) his five favourite hymns were sung and the church was totally packed. Wonder how many more will be there tomorrow.
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Is there such a thing as a great funeral?

My Uncle Gerard was taken into church tonight and it was almost amazing (apart from the cirucmstances) his five favourite hymns were sung and the church was totally packed. Wonder how many more will be there tomorrow.

I'm glad he's getting a good send off. He sounded like a good man :yes:

Praying for you and your loved ones at this time :hugs:

How was the Papal audience? :gah:
Superb; the Pope was asking where you were :wink:
I recently went to mass for a funeral for the first time in over 5 years.
I am considering returning to mass now, after being quite touched by the community aspect that I had forgot about Catholicism following this very large funeral.

Thoughts?
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Superb; the Pope was asking where you were :wink:

:ahee:
Original post by Hulk Hogan
I am considering returning to mass now, after being quite touched by the community aspect that I had forgot about Catholicism following this very large funeral.

Thoughts?

My advice, if you genuinely feel called to it, then pray. Ask for guidance, ask to have an open heart and mind to truth. Maybe also read up on the Church. I can provide some awesome websites you can look at if you like which can maybe clear up some issues or worries. But that's my main advice - pray. Use your own words if you feel called to it and if you can't simply say a prayer like the Our Father and offer all the emotions, worries, etc to God. If you need any other help feel free to PM me.
Original post by Hulk Hogan

Thoughts?

Hiya :wavey:

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear of your loss :sad: :console: :hugs:

I'd say take it step by step. Ease yourself back in. Things will have changed a bit (new words at Mass, etc). Do you have a church you would feel comfortable going along to? Is there a priest you would feel comfortable speaking to?

Whatever you decide, just pace it well. No need to rush and jump into anything/everything :nah: Do what feels right :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending