The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Is there such a thing as a great funeral?

My Uncle Gerard was taken into church tonight and it was almost amazing (apart from the cirucmstances) his five favourite hymns were sung and the church was totally packed. Wonder how many more will be there tomorrow.

I think there definitely can be such a thing as a great funeral. My Godfather died in the summer and his funeral was incredibly sad but there was also a real sense of presence and moreness if that makes sense. For me it was one of those weird moments where I felt both the closest and the furthest away from God and the church.

I hope that the actual funeral today/yesterday (?) went well and that people are able to come. I'd like to share with you (and everyone) the words that my Godfather wrote when he was dying with leukemia as I reread them recently and was struck by their faithfulness.

Testament
Here is where words fail
I stand before the mystery of death and life and cannot see the way.
At least I cannot see the way,
only Christ is the Way and, today, the image of Christ shimmers,
Full of light but also impossible to hold onto
Only surrender remains
Surrender to Christ, to love, to the next step of God's adventure
'Do not cling' says the risen Lord
'I am with you, always.'
Just got back from Uncle Gerard's funeral and it was a fantastic farewell for him. You could imagine him in the crow's nest watching over everything and we had to wear blue and white ribbons as he was a huge Sheffield Wednesday supporter (even those who are United fans wore them too). As his godson I was asked by my Auntie to do a reading which everyone seems very happy with (I was more than happy to do it too for him:smile: )

Mgr; who has been at the parish since 1978 (and married my Auntie and Uncle in March 1982 said he had never seen so many people go to a funeral and go onto the cemetery after the requiem mass. Must have been a good 400 or so at both last night and this morning. I was delighted to see how many had come to say goodbye to him.

My cousin did a wonderful eulogy to him too. Spoke to him in a letter and she held herself together really well as well as making us all smile. Which I think Gerard would have been after

So; both a sad and a good day in one :smile:
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Just got back from Uncle Gerard's funeral and it was a fantastic farewell for him. You could imagine him in the crow's nest watching over everything and we had to wear blue and white ribbons as he was a huge Sheffield Wednesday supporter (even those who are United fans wore them too). As his godson I was asked by my Auntie to do a reading which everyone seems very happy with (I was more than happy to do it too for him:smile: )

Mgr; who has been at the parish since 1978 (and married my Auntie and Uncle in March 1982 said he had never seen so many people go to a funeral and go onto the cemetery after the requiem mass. Must have been a good 400 or so at both last night and this morning. I was delighted to see how many had come to say goodbye to him.

My cousin did a wonderful eulogy to him too. Spoke to him in a letter and she held herself together really well as well as making us all smile. Which I think Gerard would have been after

So; both a sad and a good day in one :smile:

Sounds like it was a very moving day. You and your family are still in my prayers. Thank you for sharing with us how it went :hugs:
Hi all,

After a good few weeks, it seems I'm sliding backwards again. It's quite scary because it's related to my Oxford graduation, which happens next week. Obviously on the one hand I'm very excited but it's bittersweet because abusive mother figure tutor won't be there and despite everything, part of me still wants her there because she helped me get through everything. Plus I don't really remember being at Oxford, so I'll be graduating from something I don't remember? :dontknow: Finally, the voices are making plans to drown me in the college lake again and being a weekend, I won't be able to phone my nurse (not that I trust her, anyway).

So yeah, prayers would very much be appreciated :sadnod:
Reply 4144
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Always :cute:
Original post by Aula
Always :cute:

Thank you :hugs: How are you doing atm? :smile:
Reply 4146
sorry for your loss:sadnod:Hulk Hogan,

great that you would like to Come home to Rome :smile:

Original post by Angelicus
I think there definitely can be such a thing as a great funeral. My Godfather died in the summer and his funeral was incredibly sad but there was also a real sense of presence and moreness if that makes sense. For me it was one of those weird moments where I felt both the closest and the furthest away from God and the church.

I hope that the actual funeral today/yesterday (?) went well and that people are able to come. I'd like to share with you (and everyone) the words that my Godfather wrote when he was dying with leukemia as I reread them recently and was struck by their faithfulness.

Testament
Here is where words fail
Only surrender remains
'I am with you, always.'

That is truly beautiful thankyou.

Hi all,

After a good few weeks, it seems I'm sliding backwards again. It's quite scary because it's related to my Oxford graduation, which happens next week. Obviously on the one hand I'm very excited but it's bittersweet because abusive mother figure tutor won't be there and despite everything, part of me still wants her there because she helped me get through everything. Plus I don't really remember being at Oxford, so I'll be graduating from something I don't remember? :dontknow: Finally, the voices are making plans to drown me in the college lake again and being a weekend, I won't be able to phone my nurse (not that I trust her, anyway).

will do, good that people ask for prayers it movitates me to prayer more:smile:
Original post by rac1

will do, good that people ask for prayers it movitates me to prayer more:smile:

Thank you :hugs: How are you doing these days? Everything alright your end? :smile:
Original post by Angelicus

Testament
Here is where words fail
Only surrender remains
'I am with you, always.'

Thank you for sharing this with us. A funeral can combine sadness and yet be great, and a fitting way to remember someone.
Reply 4149
Thank you :hugs: How are you doing these days? Everything alright your end? :smile:

okay really, it's my birthday today:smile: i got a bible:biggrin: wanted to go to confession yesterday but it'll have to be next week. Got lots of coursework to finish today:redface:
Original post by rac1
okay really, it's my birthday today:smile: i got a bible:biggrin: wanted to go to confession yesterday but it'll have to be next week. Got lots of coursework to finish today:redface:

Oooh, Happy Birthday! :woo: :yay: :dance: :congrats: :party: :danceboy: :yeah: :woo:

Hope you have a lovely day! That sucks you have to do coursework on your birthday :console:

I haven't been to confession since Good Friday. Should really ring my confessor up and try and get an appointment to see him. (I go to the Presbytery for spiritual direction and confession, rather than going in the box.) :yes:
Anyone going to Invocation 2012 at St. Mary's, Oscott College, Birmingham? Its a vocation discernment weekend from 6-8 July... For 16-35 year olds :smile:
Reply 4152
Oooh, Happy Birthday! :woo: :yay: :dance: :congrats: :party: :danceboy: :yeah: :woo:

Hope you have a lovely day! That sucks you have to do coursework on your birthday :console:

I haven't been to confession since Good Friday. Should really ring my confessor up and try and get an appointment to see him. (I go to the Presbytery for spiritual direction and confession, rather than going in the box.) :yes:

thankyou very much:smile: it was quite rubbish went out for pizza the night b4 though:banana2: would have been good if i had actually finished it (the cw)

Original post by Bernaaaaaaaa
Anyone going to Invocation 2012 at St. Mary's, Oscott College, Birmingham? Its a vocation discernment weekend from 6-8 July... For 16-35 year olds :smile:

that does sound like a good idea:yes: i'll probably forget.:rolleyes:
Original post by rac1
thankyou very much:smile: it was quite rubbish went out for pizza the night b4 though:banana2: would have been good if i had actually finished it (the cw)

Pizza is always good for the soul :yep: :hugs: :yep:

How's everything going in general? :smile:

ME!! :smile:

I went last year and it was SPECTACULAR! Especially the Night Procession of the Blessed Sacrament :biggrin:

You going?
Original post by Jhyzone
ME!! :smile:

I went last year and it was SPECTACULAR! Especially the Night Procession of the Blessed Sacrament :biggrin:

You going?

Yesssss I think so - more than likely :biggrin:

I'm really excited! Although I'm missing my Leavers' Ball at school to come, I think this will be more life changing and worthwhile... :biggrin:

The night procession is one thing that definitely attracted me to it! I absolutely love this type of stuff!!!
http://www.justgiving.com/Matthew-Lowson

Hi everyone,

I'm taking part in a 5km walk next Saturday night to raise funds for the Hospice that cared for my Uncle Gerard. Hope everyone is well :smile:
Reply 4157

If I get the time off work I probably will :yep:
rac1
x

Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by Aula
If I get the time off work I probably will :yep:

Oh great :smile: I think it's £60 and you need accommodation too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending