The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chicken Hulk
Just a quick question to fellow Catholics...have you ever felt like God was not real/started losing faith?

How did you solve this?

I often wonder. When that happens, I try to think about why I have faith in the first place and why I usually believe in God and reconnect with those feelings.

That said, it's probably different for me than it is for most people. I'm schizoaffective and so have quite disruptive mood disorder, which affects all areas of my life, including my faith :yes:
Just a quick question to fellow Catholics...have you ever felt like God was not real/started losing faith?

How did you solve this?

Well, we are expected by the Catholic Church to use reason to defend and reaffirm our Faith.

So for me, every time I question (not doubt) God's existence and starting to lose faith, I always look back to the 'dark' times of my life: a time of sorrow and depression. Then in the end I always conquer and overcome it through prayer - even though it is hard to be sincere when you're in that situation. I keep praying anyway as God sees my perseverance and will make it bear fruit ie make things better :smile:

Sometimes I would read the Bible - Psalms is a good book to read. Also, YOUCAT - Youth Catechism of the Catholic Church is fantastic. It is written in Q&A format on everything Youths have to know about the Catholic Church. Those sometimes help me with my evangelisation.

At the end of the day it is your relationship with Jesus that matters and what ever method you implement as long as it is sincere and your intentions are pure, God will provide :biggrin:

God bless :smile:

How did you solve this?

At the moment I'm going through a lot of doubts, especially regarding the afterlife. It is really difficult, but I just try to remember times when I've really felt God's presence - when I was in the field in Madrid for World Youth Day for example, there was a huge storm. We'd been walking for about 5 hours in searing, 40 degree heat, and when we got to the gates we were told there was no room. After the Pope arrived, a huge storm started, blowing down some of the structures in the field. People were leaving, so we got in because of that, just in time for Adoration. As the Blessed Sacrament was exposed, the wind died down, it stopped raining and it just became a very pleasant night. There were about 2.7 million of us in the field, and we were all silent. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it again!
Original post by jerseymackem
No, I'm doing A2 lol :biggrin:

Oh sorry! Hahahahahaha :smile: What are you going to do in September?
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oooh, sounds very nice! Tiz funny: it's one of my local unis (my school is a feeder school for that uni. Not sure officially but certainly in practice :biggrin: ) but I've never visited it :nah:

Oh right ok :smile: I know certain schools tend to be inclined to certain unis... I have heard of that before.
Original post by Bernaaaaaaaa
Oh right ok :smile: I know certain schools tend to be inclined to certain unis... I have heard of that before.

I think it's just coz we're one of the nearby Catholic schools. It's the nearest uni to my school :yes:
Oh sorry! Hahahahahaha :smile: What are you going to do in September?

French and Spanish, at Lancaster (hopefully!). I was considering some sort of philosophical subject, but then I realised that I couldn't handle that many essays for three years!

How did you solve this?

Perhaps you should start with an honest appraisal of whether there is compelling evidence for your beliefs.
Original post by SEHughes
Perhaps you should start with an honest appraisal of whether there is compelling evidence for your beliefs.

Are you a Catholic trying to help a fellow Catholic? Can't remember introducing myself to you if so! :nah:
Not a Catholic. Obviously many people manage to reconcile their religion with their observations of the world - my concern was that the poster was looking for anything that would simply allay his anxieties rather than approaching the issue in an honest manner.
Not a Catholic. Obviously many people manage to reconcile their religion with their observations of the world - my concern was that the poster was looking for anything that would simply allay his anxieties rather than approaching the issue in an honest manner.

Well as much as I'm sure your input would be appreciated and whilst your point is a very good one, this thread is for Catholics to congregate together without interruption from others. Personally I'd prefer to keep it free from the kind of debates you might be trying to invite, as this is not the right thread for it :h:
Well as much as I'm sure your input would be appreciated and whilst your point is a very good one, this thread is for Catholics to congregate together without interruption from others. Personally I'd prefer to keep it free from the kind of debates you might be trying to invite, as this is not the right thread for it :h:

Understood - I'll leave it with you.
Understood - I'll leave it with you.

Thank you very much: I appreciate your understanding in this and hope I haven't offended you :smile:
I think it's just coz we're one of the nearby Catholic schools. It's the nearest uni to my school :yes:

Oh yes :smile: I always thought university was about moving away from home though, but hey... It's not always easy to. Sometimes you can't.
Oh yes :smile: I always thought university was about moving away from home though, but hey... It's not always easy to. Sometimes you can't.

Yeah, I moved away. Though that said, I'm back living with the parents whilst I do my Masters and I quite like it :colondollar:
Reply 4195

How did you solve this?

There's been some good advice from others here. I'd also suggest that you pray and ask God for the grace to help you. Then the pressure is on Him, not on you.
Reply 4196

How did you solve this?

Yes definitely, it isn't the best feeling, but its kind of why I started posting here and hopefully the doubt will in the end bring you closer to God.

Prayer is very important as is getting the sacaraments i.e. confession and communion.

Reading the bible and learning more about God and our faith definitely helps (a lot of people leave not knowing what it was all about).

Plenty of people come back to the Church after a really long time and then wonder why they left in the first place (did anyone see that woman on the BBC documentary?:smile:)

Become more involved in your congregation, maybe.

Try to look for God in the places and people around you.

Go to a youth group/retreat (I should do that...)

listen to some good Christian music:biggrin:
Reply 4197

that's kind of what happens anyway when you doubt your faith.:smile:

"Faith is always at a disadvantage; it is a perpetually defeated thing which survives all of its conquerors," wrote G. K. Chesterton.
Reply 4198
Thank you! The telling off was right before my final bow to the Vice Chancellor as well! Bit late in the day to start telling me off then, lol :biggrin:

How are you doing? :h:

Maybe he/she was working up the courage the whole time:rolleyes:

Good thanks, finally went to confession today:yay: (really want comunion!) did you say you went to the presbytery? what is it like? lol:smile:
Original post by rac1
Maybe he/she was working up the courage the whole time:rolleyes:

Good thanks, finally went to confession today:yay: (really want comunion!) did you say you went to the presbytery? what is it like? lol:smile:

Ah good on you for going! I text my confessor asking to meet but no response :sad: This particular house is huge. I only see a tiny part of it but it's nice :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending