The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Such a shame, roman catholic but the way school teaches about catholicism is terrible. We were told it was ok to have our opinions but when our views are shot down:confused: never go to church anymore
Original post by Direct15
Such a shame, roman catholic but the way school teaches about catholicism is terrible. We were told it was ok to have our opinions but when our views are shot down:confused: never go to church anymore

Hiya! Welcome to the Soc! :wavey:

I can empathise somewhat. At my convent secondary school, we had RE teaches who pretended to be all down with the kids and reasonable but the moment you question Catholicism, they morphed into a different person :s-smilie:

:console:
Reply 4202
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Ah good on you for going! I text my confessor asking to meet but no response :sad: This particular house is huge. I only see a tiny part of it but it's nice :yes:

thanks:smile: thats good. don't worry though his phone probably ran out of battery of something:smile:.

Original post by Direct15

:frown: Sometimes I really wish that I'd been to a Catholic school but really I guess if I had then I would have ended up hating the whole shebang because I would associate it with school and I wouldn't have found that many people who were really trying to believe and follow Christ, but I dunno... If you went to a new congregation you might find it very different, no one will be trying to shoot you down there.:smile:
Original post by rac1
thanks:smile: thats good. don't worry though his phone probably ran out of battery of something:smile:.

Nah, he's just terrible at actually replying to texts :biggrin: He always replies if it's important or an emergency though, which is the most important thing :yes:
Reply 4204
Nah, he's just terrible at actually replying to texts :biggrin: He always replies if it's important or an emergency though, which is the most important thing :yes:

lol:smile: that's good!
Yeah, I moved away. Though that said, I'm back living with the parents whilst I do my Masters and I quite like it :colondollar:

Oh wowoww... what are you doing in your Masters'?
Original post by jerseymackem
French and Spanish, at Lancaster (hopefully!). I was considering some sort of philosophical subject, but then I realised that I couldn't handle that many essays for three years!

Oh right, yeh I understand! But French and Spanish will be an adventure! :smile: I miss French so much. I nearly did it for A-Level, but chose Theology instead...
Original post by Bernaaaaaaaa
Oh wowoww... what are you doing in your Masters'?

I'm officially studying ethnomusicology, which is the study of world musics, or the social anthropological study of musics. I do lots of pop music on my course though :biggrin:
Oh right, yeh I understand! But French and Spanish will be an adventure! :smile: I miss French so much. I nearly did it for A-Level, but chose Theology instead...

I hope so, I love Spanish but not so keen on French TBH... anyway, roll on the year abroad :biggrin:

What other A-Levels are you doing?
I'm officially studying ethnomusicology, which is the study of world musics, or the social anthropological study of musics. I do lots of pop music on my course though :biggrin:

That sounds really complex but really cool! Wow!
I hope so, I love Spanish but not so keen on French TBH... anyway, roll on the year abroad :biggrin:

What other A-Levels are you doing?

Oh, you get a year abroad? That sounds coooool! French is aaamazing! :biggrin:

I'm doing Theology, Sociology and Psychology (and General Studies but I hate it!)...
Oh, you get a year abroad? That sounds coooool! French is aaamazing! :biggrin:

I'm doing Theology, Sociology and Psychology (and General Studies but I hate it!)...

Aah all the -ologies! Well good luck for the exams, I'm not really liking the idea of writing 4 essays in a row in an hour and a half again... :biggrin:
If Michael McIntyre was a Catholic (he is not) he would no doubtless tell the story of a friend of my mum's who genuflected at the cinema.
Hi everyone!

Hope everyone is well and good. I have two questions for you guys, hopefully you can shed some light on my thoughts.

Firstly, I went to a different mass on Sunday, I went to the "sung" service, where every prayer is done through song and worship, pretty much from beginning to end. I just wanted to ask what the significance of this is? Whats the reason behind making every prayer a hymn? And speaking of which, I really feel like having a word with the Priest in my parish and asking him to change the songs we sing. They are all the old hymn, traditional type of thing, and to be honest, I find it really boring (I don't know if I'm offending anyone when I say that!) but I mean, surely a bit of Lecrae or Trip-Lee won't hurt? Christian rap FTW! lol

Anyways, my second question is that during a bible study I attended this week, I met a person that pretty much out right said that he didn't sin anymore. I mean, is that possible? I thought being human, we are not perfect. To not sin, is to be perfect, in other words, he is putting himself on par with God. Can this even be possible?
Hiya! Welcome to the Soc! :wavey:

I can empathise somewhat. At my convent secondary school, we had RE teaches who pretended to be all down with the kids and reasonable but the moment you question Catholicism, they morphed into a different person :s-smilie:

:console:

I went to a Catholic school as well and from what happened with us, the idea of being Catholic was drilled into us so much that most people ended up coming out as atheist, which pretty much defeated the point. I think partly the reason for this is also because if you do question Catholicism, the teachers didn't really know how to answer it, and just ended up yelling you down. This I find very interesting though, because being religious, you do tend to get into a lot of debates with many people about if God exists, or even with fellow Christians regarding if Catholicism is the right path to go down (infant baptism, communion etc). Even on TSR, I have seen a lot of people holding their own online when it comes to these debates, but then, at school, when the teachers can't even answer simple questions like why do bad things happen in the world, they can't handle it. No wonder half the children come out atheist, being told to believe in something, and not knowing why they should.
Reply 4215

I'm doing French (AS, probably next year too:redface:)

wowzer! lol:smile:

Aah all the -ologies! Well good luck for the exams, I'm not really liking the idea of writing 4 essays in a row in an hour and a half again... :biggrin:

lol, Father said something similar to that to me a few weeks ago:biggrin:

Original post by stargirl63
Hi everyone!

Hope everyone is well and good. I have two questions for you guys, hopefully you can shed some light on my thoughts.

Firstly, I went to a different mass on Sunday, I went to the "sung" service, where every prayer is done through song and worship, pretty much from beginning to end. I just wanted to ask what the significance of this is? Whats the reason behind making every prayer a hymn? And speaking of which, I really feel like having a word with the Priest in my parish and asking him to change the songs we sing. They are all the old hymn, traditional type of thing, and to be honest, I find it really boring (I don't know if I'm offending anyone when I say that!) but I mean, surely a bit of Lecrae or Trip-Lee won't hurt? Christian rap FTW! lol

Anyways, my second question is that during a bible study I attended this week, I met a person that pretty much out right said that he didn't sin anymore. I mean, is that possible? I thought being human, we are not perfect. To not sin, is to be perfect, in other words, he is putting himself on par with God. Can this even be possible?

hi!
http://www.stanthonydsm.org/n/why_do_we_sing_at_mass.html

quite interesting actually:smile:

how good is your rap? I can't imagine my mum joining in:colondollar:

2nd question- sounds like he went a bit too far, but I dunno maybe it is just between him and God *shrugs*

Hahahahahaha! They're all brilliant! Such good fun and amazingly interesting! They're not easy peasy but they're definitely worth it :smile: For our Theology exam, it's a straight 3 hours... then it's OVER! :biggrin:

4 essays in an hour and a half? Harsh...
Original post by stargirl63
Hi everyone!

Do you have loads of old people in your parish because that may stop your Priest from changing his mind to "newer" music... We try to have a balance every Mass - organ and guitars...

Oh and btw, I looove Lecrae too! :biggrin:
Do you have loads of old people in your parish because that may stop your Priest from changing his mind to "newer" music... We try to have a balance every Mass - organ and guitars...

Oh and btw, I looove Lecrae too! :biggrin:

The congregation isn't old really. I'd say its very family orientated, so just a mix of everybody, including the children who go off for their little liturgy in the middle. Perhaps not Christian rap, but maybe something at least in the 21st century. It's so rubbish to try to join into hymns that no one knows.

But I have to tell you guys. Each week, one child stands up and says a prayer they wrote, and this week, one child says "Dear God, please bless everyone in the world. Amen." I found this the most sweetest thing ever! loool!

And yesssss...Lecrae is a G! "God is enough" is my favourite! I need to listen to this now!!!
[video="youtube;gYnA3yt8_yg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYnA3yt8_yg&feature=related[/video]

Just need to share this song with you guys! Listen and appreciate!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending